redzone

Does the XV01 have a future?

Hi guys, just a thought, as stock seems to be running low on these kits, do we think Tamiya will release any more versions of this chassis? There are so many Rally shells they could bring out on it still, ie the TA01/TA02/TL01 era Celicas, Lancer Evos etc, not to mention new classics..

Or will there be an XV02?

Maybe they just haven't hit the targets Tamiya was hoping for?

• Like 1

I expect that Tamiya will keep supporting the chassis for a while yet. An XV02 makes sense, especially since it shares a lot of DNA with the FF04 Evo and frontie racing appears to be gaining popularity around the world. An FF05 is overdue now (or just a better internal ratio for 21.5T blinky racing), so FF05 and XV02 together makes sense.

Part of the problem could be that the XV01 is a relatively expensive kit so Tamiya could be focussing on the supply of cheaper TT02 cars which would be volume sellers, assuming supply and distribution are constrained at the moment 

• Like 3

Its an expensive kit for what it is.  but then at the same time, its not.  You can do a tt02 rally type car for pretty cheap and have it run without much issue.  I think that deters people from the xv01 at effectively twice the price. 

I personally love the xv01.  It's a realistic drive experience, and it really is the ultimate sport basher for that bridge between touring car and off-road.

• Like 4

I hope that it has a future. I'd really like to see a MS version, or at least a Pro 2. The chassis and hop ups are in high demand around here, and in short supply. Obviously, it's the top pick in our rally club.

I recently built a TT02 as a rally car, with the goal being to get the best rally performance possible for the cost of an XV kit. It's not even close. Dollar for dollar, the XV is a better value. The TT just has too many compromises in its basic design to be able to cost effectively compete with an XV-01.

The only changes the XV needs are minor. More steering angle, of course, and a vertically mounted servo to avoid stone jams, and I'd like more rigid rear body mounts, more like the M07 style. Maybe get the motor a little lower, and the bumper higher. Pill type suspension mounts, front belt tensioner, and larger suspension balls and cups would be icing on the cake. It doesn't need a full redesign at all. If they do a full redesign, messing with the suspension too much would be a mistake.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I expect that Tamiya will keep supporting the chassis for a while yet. An XV02 makes sense, especially since it shares a lot of DNA with the FF04 Evo and frontie racing appears to be gaining popularity around the world. An FF05 is overdue now (or just a better internal ratio for 21.5T blinky racing), so FF05 and XV02 together makes sense.

Part of the problem could be that the XV01 is a relatively expensive kit so Tamiya could be focussing on the supply of cheaper TT02 cars which would be volume sellers, assuming supply and distribution are constrained at the moment 

Oh you just made my imagination go places. I'd really like to see both chassis. I also hope the design would remain as front motor layout and not those mid engine motor FWD that are coming out now. To me, it takes away the FF/FWD spirit and exclusivity.

My guess on the XV-01 is, it will probably stay longer. Just like the other chassis that were successful in both sales and drivability. 

• Like 1

The TT series are entry level kits where as the XV01 is on par with the TA/ TB series, so the price is inline with those kits.

I run my XV01 with Audi body and my son runs the TT02-S with Subaru body.  We have a lot of fun in front of our house. There are a lot of manoeuvres that the TT02 can’t do simply because the motor is mid ship. XV01 for rallye is on a league of its own. Tamiya truly nailed it. 

Eventually there will be an XV-02. Improvements however will be be very minimal, because the XV-01 is that good. 

• Like 1

Cool video.. and yes that axle hop on TT02 is terrible.  The TT02 Type S doesn’t suffer from it since it has the TB03/416 type arms.  But it still can’t drift into turns like an XV-01.

My XV-01 has a 17.5 with 30° timing. I’m able to come full throttle (40mph+) and left off slightly, take a 90° turn into my cul de sac, get right back on throttle. This is all on the rallye blocks... The XV will do a smooth controllable drift on to my street.  

I also have a TA05 with 3.5 in it, capable of 60+.. if I attempt the same turn at 40 mph on Sorex slicks.. it will spin out. 

Again, the XV is that good 👍

• Like 2

An XV-01 with a silvercan took 2nd in VTA at a local parking lot race a couple of weeks ago. Stock everything, Gravity USGT tires.

If they hadn't hit sales targets then the chassis would have been eliminated from their line up.  It's almost a decade old at this point and still selling.

If they want to make an XV-02 then all they should do is alter the main chassis so there's no underside door for the battery and make the servo, esc, and receiver compartment more manageable.  Maybe a few tweaks here and there but keep the development costs to a minimum by sticking with what is already working and available.  I wouldn't bet any money on it happening though.  A lot of their other chassis need replacing more urgently.

I wonder if they are going to release any more body versions of it though? Stock is low on every kit everywhere and they haven't released any new versions for years.

• Like 1