Not normally a monster truck guy, but this has me kinda keen. Anyone got any experience? Never onxe wanted a Clod so i am not sure why i am drawn to this! 

I came here to see if anyone commenting on this yet. 
My first Hobby Grade car was an Optima Mid and my first Truck was a Kyosho Hi Roller corvette.So, I am actually more partial and nostalgic for vintage Kyosho than I am Tamiya.

Im excited to learn more about this ReRe

If you look at the Kyosho announcement and compare it to the original USA-1 it's pretty clear this isn't a re-release - just a new truck branded with the USA-1 colors and body. 

The original truck had independent suspension with motor-on-gearbox power - the new truck is a solid axle with *I think* a single centrally mounted motor. It's definitely cool, but Kyosho would have earned my business if it was a true re-release with some minor updates.

But this does mean that USA-1 decals and bodies will be available new :)

It's not a re-re. Modified Mad Crusher chassis I believe. Even the body is different.

No doubt superior in every way to the original but it will still disappoint people who were hoping for the original.

I can't grumble too much though, it's nice to see another realistic looking monster truck that doesn't have colour vomit graphics all over it.

• Like 3

20210512_163924

This is the original electric Kyosho USA-1 (the original gas version was much different) that challenged the Clod Buster back in the day. Quite different from USA-1 style body perched on the Mad Crusher chassis we're seeing today. All the original Kyosho car crusher series were roughly based around the same platform, the original USA-1 being a beefed up version of the Double Dare. This new iteration probably further reduces the chances of seeing a rerelease of the original versions but one can never tell.

• Like 5

It does surprise me they wouldn't consider re-releasing some of this, as others mentioned the Big Brute / Big Boss / Hi Rider / Double-Dare and USA-1 have sooooo many shared parts. It's mostly the front bumpers and swapping in a 2nd gearcase on the 4wd models that separate them.

@Saito2 do you run original USA-1 tires? I have one 70%ish completed in my closet from years ago, but the tires went bad on me.

• Like 1

When I used to run that USA-1 pictured (lightly), I did use the original tires @isomer1. Its been retired to the restoration pile since then, awaiting its turn on the workbench. I honestly have more fun with my runner Big Boss nowadays, though the USA-1 was a unique driving experience. Quite different than the Clod. If I were to run one today, I probably just run readily available Clod tires instead. Somewhere in my project stack is a twin motor, 2ws Big Boss I'm piecing together. We'll see if I get to it before retirement (if I make it to retirement, lol).

Interesting, I'd not heard about this.  Actually I've got no experience with Kyosho monster trucks at all, and having looked at some pics of the chassis it kinda looks like a glorified WR-01.  While I'm sure there's a lot of nostalgia for those who owned or wanted one BITD, it's not for me.

But - if the new truck is a centre-motor, solid-axle monster, then bring it on - I doubt I can afford to buy one but any increase in solid axle monster interest worldwide could bring us closer to some dedicated solid axle events in the UK, so my fleet can get run somewhere other than in my own small garden.

• Like 2

Proper size wheels as well, and ooh, it even has the original carb detail :D

Another new monster with LMT-style angled shocks, but I'm sure there's scope for some custom vertical shock mounts there, as long as the shocks don't hinder the wheels on articulation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Actually I've got no experience with Kyosho monster trucks at all, and having looked at some pics of the chassis it kinda looks like a glorified WR-01

That's not a bad comparison. The first time I saw a Big Brute up close (Kyosho's first monster truck) and noticed the front bulkhead (which looked a lot like a dummy front gearbox with no gears in it) I wondered if a 4wd version was in the works. Before long, we had the Double Dare. Despite having the motors more mid mounted, I've always felt Tamiya ripped a page from Kyosho's playbook with their WT/WR01 chassis. 

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Another new monster with LMT-style angled shocks,

Surprisingly, the Mad Crusher, which this new USA-1 is based on, has been out a little while and the Mad Force (the discontinued predecessor to the Mad Crusher) even longer. Nobody seems to have given them much attention though they seemed like a very fast and reasonably durable solid axle monster. They certainly never grabbed the spotlight the way the LMT has.

• Like 2

Interesting @Saito2, thanks for the info - modern Kyosho stuff hasn't been much on my radar and the Mad Force, judging by the pics I can find on an image search, has the look of the previous gen monster trucks like the TXT-1 - kind of big and impressive but a bit toy-like in its styling (in fact I had probably unfairly assumed it was an independently-sprung competitor to the E-Maxx).

I looked up pics of the Mad Crusher chassis and seeing the type of tyres fitted as stock, had thought it was being marketed more as a crawler than a monster truck.  I guess this latest update is giving it a more contemporary image to appeal to LMT's buyers.

• Like 1

I don't if it was lack of marketing or whatever that kept the Mad Force/Crusher off the radar of monster enthusiast. Maybe there's something about it that made it unsuitable for competition, I honestly don't know. While the TXT series was raced here and there, it never got a strong foothold and most just went back to the Clod. It seems the SMT10 (and now LMT) was the first truck other than the Clod to really make inroads in diversifying the competition solid axle monster truck market. 

• Like 1

I feel like there was one quick monent where the original Twin Force started to get popular but just like that it wasn't.  I always wanted to try one so maybe now is the time.  Would love for someone to come up with a different battery tray option though.

• Like 1

I have a Nitro USA-1 gathering dust in the shed. Spent loads of money on that thing to get it and keep it running. Loads of fun when running. An absolute pain to get it there though. Nice to see that truck body again. 

• Like 1