Sign in to follow this  
mcvwuk

Noob - NiMh & charger question

Hi,

I have a Sand Viper with a Tamiya TEU-101BK ESC which has the Male Tamiya connector (to the battery), and I also have a (probably dead) 7.2v 3000mAh NiMh with the Female Tamiya connector.

In my haste to get the buggy running I bought a charger (Etronix powerpal pocket 2) as it was local to me (and only a £5) but after it arrived I've noticed that a) it says it's for LiPo and Li-FE batteries, and b) it has no Tamiya style connections (see picture).

So... a few questions.

1) Can I use this charger with NiMh batteries?

2) If I can use it with NiMh batteries I presume I would need to get an adaptor lead - which lead should I get (i.e. to connect to which port)?

3) Alternatively, if I bought a LiPo battery, would it work with my ESC, and if so should I get a LiPo with a Tamiya connector or a standard LiPo connector (Dean) and use an adaptor to connect to my ESC?

Thank you,

Mike

image.png.33aa83883be1673dd874238a9db38e14.png

hi mike, 

this charger will not charge nimh batteries. you could buy lipo batteries, but if you are new to this i would just buy a cheap charger that will charge nimh's

• Like 2

I agree . Buy the NiMh charger , charge your battery and see what life you get out of it , charge the battery at 3AMP charge .

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I was looking at getting this one: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/etronix-powerpal-mini-ac-6a-60w-balance-charger-discharger-433764 and whilst I was hunting down one in stock I found this: https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/overlander-rcs60-ac-60w-balance-charger-and-discharger/

To me, they look exactly the same - just a different sticker/brand. Anybody know if one is better than the other?

They look the same . With these chargers you will only need the NiMh menu for your existing battery  . The balancing etc is more for Li-Po . If you get into Li-Po later it will still be useful . To charge your pack you will need a Tamiya plug adapter as it comes with a Deans cable

• Like 1

For NiMH I use a Dynamite Prophet Sport Dual which charges both NiMH and Lipo two at a time (separately) if desired.  You can dial in your charge rate so not stuck with just the preset amperages (if you care).   It is also very easy to use.

Its a reliable unit.. if you think you might expand your hobby in the future it might be something worth checking out and getting from the get go.  

• Like 1