Rixsta

Tamiya TT02B Extreme Build

A large part of my brain is wired just to be satisfied looking at parts laid out like a military campaign... maybe even more so than putting them together...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yes yes yes... Exactly how a build should be. Proceed with my blessing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't know you could even put an upper deck on the TT02B. Definitely taking a look on the shimming of the drive train, I had to reduce the braking because my car would do terrifying gear skipping noises when I did it. Hopefully it's the drive train and not the bevel gears, don't want to disassemble that too.

How did you build your dampers? I've recently got them on my car, and I found out that in the instructions they want you to put in O-rings in the pistons as spacers, to reduce shock travel, and quite a lot: 4 of them in the rear (for 1,2 cm total) and 3 of them in the front (for 9mm). Now, I found that kinda preposterious, since the whole point of splurging on those is also to raise the quite pitiful ride height with the stock dampers, so I put no o-ring in the rear with the short eyelets in the back, and one o-ring in the front with the longer eyelets, and used the kit oil, which is 500 cst. The damper length is there, but the rear is really droopy, even with the quite absurd preload I've put (another detail: the springs seem to be the size of the regular CVA shock, meaning they are too short for these, maybe that's the reason for that many o-ring spacers). Did you find a satisfying solution?

Also, what did you use for grease in the diffs, just AW grease, and how much?

just sitting here on my lunchbreak watching the first part of your build video. Thanks for sharing. Such an expensive build but so satisfying to watch you put it together. Where you started of by opening the first hopup bag and its Tamiya colored screws I knew we were in for a treat. I am so impressed with the attention to detail you have given this basic kit, it kind of makes me want to build one now haha. For now I will just live vicariously through your penchant of blue Tamiya aluminum fasteners and parts. 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 9:22 PM, MontyMole said:

Didn't know you could even put an upper deck on the TT02B. Definitely taking a look on the shimming of the drive train, I had to reduce the braking because my car would do terrifying gear skipping noises when I did it. Hopefully it's the drive train and not the bevel gears, don't want to disassemble that too.

How did you build your dampers? I've recently got them on my car, and I found out that in the instructions they want you to put in O-rings in the pistons as spacers, to reduce shock travel, and quite a lot: 4 of them in the rear (for 1,2 cm total) and 3 of them in the front (for 9mm). Now, I found that kinda preposterious, since the whole point of splurging on those is also to raise the quite pitiful ride height with the stock dampers, so I put no o-ring in the rear with the short eyelets in the back, and one o-ring in the front with the longer eyelets, and used the kit oil, which is 500 cst. The damper length is there, but the rear is really droopy, even with the quite absurd preload I've put (another detail: the springs seem to be the size of the regular CVA shock, meaning they are too short for these, maybe that's the reason for that many o-ring spacers). Did you find a satisfying solution?

Also, what did you use for grease in the diffs, just AW grease, and how much?

I built the dampers as instructed and find it’s perfectly fine. I build the diffs with proteck grease. More vids added 👍

More vids added 👍 Thanks Tamaniac’s for the positive comments, means a lot 🥰

great build and good work. only thing I question is the threaded inserts. the inserts may be bigger dia but the thread is still fine. I have neer had probs just threading the plastic. different case if a old hole as stripped,like you mention.

• Confused 1

Hello, I have been watching the build bit by bit when I get time ,so comment prior to the end!

I have just seen the carbon fibre shock mount section. Are  you certain the Tamiya styrene sticks the parts?  the hardware that's used on the mounts might be doing the work?  The glue is for styrene and chemically welds the plastic.Would not of thought the resin in the carbon fibre would be activated by the styrene cement. I have used this glue for years in armour models. I am going to try to find some carbon to test on. I would of used CA or epoxy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gazzalene said:

Hello, I have been watching the build bit by bit when I get time ,so comment prior to the end!

I have just seen the carbon fibre shock mount section. Are  you certain the Tamiya styrene sticks the parts?  the hardware that's used on the mounts might be doing the work?  The glue is for styrene and chemically welds the plastic.Would not of thought the resin in the carbon fibre would be activated by the styrene cement. I have used this glue for years in armour models. I am going to try to find some carbon to test on. I would of used CA or epoxy.

Good call. I will make a small video tomorrow and try and pull them apart, see what happens, I’ll post the vid here. 👍