^Smith^

80's Clod to Bullhead Conversion

Good Day all

I got some great advice from several members on this project...Mad Ax, Ratfink, wolfdog to mention a few

My dual motor vintage Clod's electronics are now to be upgraded...I have the new Hobbywing 880 ESC.

So, here's my elementary-school question: Six wires from the new 880 (the black and red- I'll connect to Black /red leads to the battery clip. Then I have 2- Blues and two Yellows..

The motors both have one green and one yellow.....That said, Can I assume that the connections would be (yellow-motor) to (yellow- ESC) and (green-motor) to BLUE-ESC)??....And if that's correct, Does it matter which ESC Blue and Yellow connect to the motor leads?

In the photo of the Clod Chassis you can see the yellow/green from one motor, the Black/Red motor leads (that you see in the photo) are connected black-Green(motor) and red-yellow(motor)

If someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated...be well, stay safe

smith

IMG_5991.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

As far as I know, both the yellows are connected inside the esc, and both the blue, so I don't think it matters which goes where, (as long as yellow and a blue to each motor) although as one of the motors turns the opposite way, it could be yellow- blue. (I did left yellow and left blue to one, and right yellow , right blue to the other..)

On the esc, red is positive and black negative for the battery (and I'd fit deans/T plug or XT60, as , well, tamiya plugs are garbage...)

With new esc's, I like to set them to forward only when testing, that way you know forward is forward, sometimes it can get confusing ,when forward is reverse, but going forward, and forward on the stick....🤯 

Wooders

Yeah, that makes sense...I just don't want to "fry" the new 880 and the manual is not clear about the connections....But what is clear is that the warranty is invalid if you make a mistake!

?? You don't like Tamiya connectors?  I'll have to check out the Deans (I have heard of them but not familiar) the XT60 -I' not familiar at at all.

Nice to chat with a member from Scotland! Thanks.

• Thanks 1

It actually does matter. One motor spins in reverse. Don't worry if you hook them up incorrectly, as long as you give it a try with all wheels off the floor first it's quite obvious which is going backwards.

From memory it's Yellow to Yellow, Blue to Green on the front motor, and Yellow to Green, Blue to Yellow on the rear motor. But! I could be mistaken as I don't have the truck in front of me right now.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:40 PM, ^Smith^ said:

You don't like Tamiya connectors

No, not liked them for over 30yrs! 

This is one of my old esc's, from the late 80's

2018-12-07_01-03-48

Even on Nicads, they'd melt, I you chopped them off, and fitted bullets. I believe they've a current handling of around 15 amps.

The 880 can handle 80amps (actual current depends on the motors), and both the XT60 and deans (T plug) can handle 60 amps, which is more than ample in most instances. 

Have a look at what your local hobby shop/ usual outlet sell, in the UK, there's alot more choice for standard Deans connections, but seems to be XT60 in other parts of the world.

Tamiya plugs are decent when matched to what you're doing with them. I ran them on my old scaler because I was too darn lazy to solder over all the plugs, and they were fine. But then, I was running NiMH packs in that thing, and the 45t motor meant that I got runtimes in the hours, so little current draw.

All my other models run Deans, with the exception of my track toy, which has 5mm bullet connectors straight into the pack. I find Deans generally covers what I need, and they're easy enough to work with, small enough to not be in the way too much, and can be had for cheap from the Far East if need be.

The track toy, meanwhile, has 5mm bullet connectors because that thing dumps a 5Ah pack in about 10 minutes. :D

GBird

I checked out the Deans plugs, they look alot more durable and provide a better connection for certain

My fear here is, that I watched one youtube vid. and the guy was using, what looked like to me ...a super high tech soldering machine (likely big bucks)

When you get a chance...maybe you can explain the soldering process and equip't required, type of solder etc. I must confess, I have never soldered anything before!!:(

Your old ESC just looks like the cab from Bigfoot #1 :D