qatmix

Tamiya TBLE-04S detailed review

That was great, thank you! Will look out for one when the kit breakers get hold of them as its nice to know its a bit lower in profile than the tble02 which will suit some chassis types much better.

• Like 1

Great innovation by Tamiya, so you can get brushless power with  acheap sensored motor combined with Lipo right out of the box!:)

And great idea with the fan mounts. The fan mount kit for the TBLE02S was rather expensive...

Thanks for the detailed review!

On 5/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, qatmix said:

Hi All, 

I thought I would post a link to my indepth look at the new TBLE-04S esc. It's a nice upgrade over the the 02s, and I've found it a very good to run unit. 

https://www.thercracer.com/2021/05/tamiya-tble-04s-esc-speed-controller.html

Cant say I'm all that impressed with the TBLE-04s at this point. I have received 2 of these now, one in a Frog kit, and one in a Thunder Dragon kit. The one in the Thunder Dragon likes to thermal after 3-4 minutes of running on a 7.2v NiMh. The construction of it seems a bit cheap: small heat sink, and going from 14g wires to 16g makes no sense to me. Also having a hole for the set-up bottom now is just asking for dirt intrusion. Trying to run anything over the 25t limit will result in a overheating issue. I have in the past run BZ motors with the older TBLE-02s, and also ran a 10.5T brushless motor without issues, even though the newer 04s is supposed to have better specs. This ESC needs a 25mm fan straight away from my experience so far, unless you run it conservatively.

I killed mine running a super stock RZ motor in thunder dragon re re. Totally my own fault as it was overgeared and using a LiPo so wouldn’t blame the esc. Expected it to thermal and not to die though. So like the above I’d also be wary of pushing it even if you did push the older 02s.

Rather disappointing as it was a nice esc to run up to that point and better response than the recent 02s escs as they have lost proportional throttle control.

Does it have a plug to connect the fan? Ive seen that they sell a rspec one (quite expensive) with the fan included

On 11/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, Hobbimaster said:

(...) This ESC needs a 25mm fan straight away from my experience so far, unless you run it conservatively.

You can plug most types of fan into a channel in your receiver usually not the esc. The connection on the esc is for sensored motor. So adding a fan can be pretty cheap.

23 hours ago, Kalamity said:

Does it have a plug to connect the fan? Ive seen that they sell a rspec one (quite expensive) with the fan included

No connections, it has the mounts built into the case to mount a 25x25mm fan with any 3x10mm screw. I purchased a set of 4- 5v fans from Amazon for $10 usd. But then had to change from the JST-PH connector to a regular servo connector to plug the fan into the receiver. At 5v rating, you can safely run a fan off of the TBLE-04s BEC circuit to the receiver. 

Ive seen the fan mounts but was confused about the plug because the SR or RS version of this ESC has a built in fan, and seeing pictures it seemed to have space right beside the sensor plug to plug something else in... Thanks for clearing that up! :D

@qatmix Reading your review I saw this line:

"Also I am not sure on how it monitors the value (per cell or overall)."

Since the ESC (like most, if not all of them) only connects to the plus and minus of the LiPo and not to the balancing connector, I think the answer is pretty obvious. ;) I'd suggest rewriting that section into something like this: "Since the ESC only monitors overall battery voltage, not individual cells, it is important that the battery is balance-charged, otherwise you might end up with one cell below 3.0V and the other at over 3.2V." Or something like that.

Also on a more general issue: so, after the LVC kicked in, it ended at 6.2V - without load. Not sure I'd quite consider that really safe for LiPos. It is very close to the bare minimum voltage to begin with, and with a load on, it probably goes even below that. So to me this still seems to be a LiFe ESC, and not a LiPo ESC - at least not a really safe one.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:55 PM, Alangt4 said:

Rather disappointing as it was a nice esc to run up to that point and better response than the recent 02s escs as they have lost proportional throttle control.

Hi, can you explain  "recent 02S lost proportional throttle control" ?

I'm asking this because I am currently building 3 M05s for my kids. Two came with TBLE02S and one with TBLE04S,  and throttle calibration is problematic for one of the two 02S: End Point Adjustment is inefficient. I went through EPA many times but I get full throttle/reverse at ~70%/30% radio travel every time. Same radio system for all (Futaba 3PV). I tried switching emitters, and setting throttle to reverse before EPA, with no success.

As the other 02S (and the 04S) give much more progressive throttle, I was wondering if there were different versions of the 02s ?

Thanks

Yes there was some change to the 02S maybe 2 years back now. I don’t know why/what part changed or it it was some factory setup changes. Fine control of voltage is not possible- even after adjusting. Downside is the newer 02S escs lost the fine control of speed.

I know a few others reported similar so May have more details that can clarify.

• Like 2

Guys - trying to use this ESC in my GF-01 which requires reversing the direction of the motors rotation. I've so far been unable to figure out how to do this in the ESC. Is this not possible?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Guys - trying to use this ESC in my GF-01 which requires reversing the direction of the motors rotation. I've so far been unable to figure out how to do this in the ESC. Is this not possible?

Thanks!

Brushed or brushless? If brushed, just swap the cables. If brushless, reverse on the controller. 

There are quite a few way to reverse rotation, you may have to try around to see which works best for you as sometimes, it can rotate correctly, but then you lost brakes, etc... 

5 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

Brushless sensored. Will try on transmitter. 

Generally the TBLEs do not have a problem with reverse. Double check your endpoint settings in the ESC (first step on the instructions), neutral, full forward, full reverse part. 

1 hour ago, smirk-racing said:

What I meant was I need to reverse the rotation of the motor entirely so that forward is backward. 

Just checking, you had done this step? 

iJ7Wua1.jpg

As per manual:

Hold the set-up button and turn on power. While holding the button, the led will cycle green-orange-red-green... Release the button when it's red. The LED should go out and then flash according to set parameters

IMG_20221121_161912.jpg

On 11/20/2022 at 8:45 AM, alvinlwh said:

Just checking, you had done this step? 

iJ7Wua1.jpg

@alvinlwh thanks so much for your help. Yes I have been following those instructions.

As far as I understand, the esc allows me to enable “forward/brake only mode” or “forward/brake/reverse” mode. 

I cannot see an option to change the direction of the motor rotation such that “forward” = counter clockwise rotation (assuming default is clockwise - but it doesn’t matter what the default is, I just want the opposite of whatever is default…)

So far what I have been able to do is reverse the throttle channel from the transmitter, but really that just means I am driving in reverse all the time when applying forward throttle as far as the ESC is concerned. Forward throttle does not actually = forward ESC signal as it currently stands. I know this because in the ESC, if I switch from “forward/brake/reverse” mode to “forward/brake”, I lose what I consider to be “forward” movement (but what the ESC considers to be reverse).

27 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

@alvinlwh thanks so much for your help. Yes I have been following those instructions.

As far as I understand, the esc allows me to enable “forward/brake only mode” or “forward/brake/reverse” mode. 

I cannot see an option to change the direction of the motor rotation such that “forward” = counter clockwise rotation (assuming default is clockwise - but it doesn’t matter what the default is, I just want the opposite of whatever is default…)

So far what I have been able to do is reverse the throttle channel from the transmitter, but really that just means I am driving in reverse all the time when applying forward throttle as far as the ESC is concerned. Forward throttle does not actually = forward ESC signal as it currently stands. I know this because in the ESC, if I switch from “forward/brake/reverse” mode to “forward/brake”, I lose what I consider to be “forward” movement (but what the ESC considers to be reverse).

0TYkeNH.jpg

According to Tamiya's own instructions and my own experience, the way to reset direction is to go through the high point setting again. Even if you reversed direction on your TX, you have to go through that step or you will get half speed forwards and full speed reverse. And you will have no brakes going forwards but just slam into reverse. 

Tamiya ESC has no options to change direction, in fact if I am not wrong, any ESC that rely on/allow high point setting will not have that option. 

Mode have no bearing on this. It is just race (no reverse) mode or practice/bashing (with reverse) mode only. 

Default motor rotation is CCW for most chassis. 

Based on your last statement, I still think should do your high point setting again, even if your TX is set to reverse. Mess around with the combinations, listen to the motor speed (reverse will be slower than forwards). Check that you do get braking when moving from forward to reverse, instead of it just slamming to reverse. These are some clues to if the direction is set correctly or not. 

On 11/20/2022 at 7:46 AM, smirk-racing said:

Thanks!

What ESC exactly you use? @alvinlwh posted TBLE02S instruction, I posted TBLE-04S. They are slightly  different and the reverse function might be set up differently, too.

5 hours ago, Honza said:

What ESC exactly you use? @alvinlwh posted TBLE02S instruction, I posted TBLE-04S. They are slightly  different and the reverse function might be set up differently, too.

I have both and they are the same. 

hseZcWE.jpg

Trouble shooting is same as well, third line from bottom. 

tTu1tkn.jpg

@alvinlwh you're right, atleast reverse setup is the same

Edit: only now I realised that it's not motor direction reverse...

IMG_20221122_061746.jpg

@smirk-racing where did you get the impression that the GF01 needs a reverse rotation motor?

Its standard rotation direction. If your car is going backwards instead of forwards you simply haven't set the ESC up properly, so just go back to basics, check your wiring, reset your radio and go through the setup process from scratch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1