acprc

43532 TRG-01 Tamiya Nitrage Restoration - She needs some Love!

Great build thread. It looks absolutely lovely. I thought I loved nitro but seriously 300 nitro kits!!!! Had the urge to send my mardave marauder round the garden today - it’s not got the best compression but she runs and sounds great. Look forward to seeing this run but over all just love the look of three posts above this, just so nice and little engines Rock!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Between other projects and working on other peoples cars I finally found some time to work on the Nitrage runner. Having found a brand new body and decals I need to choose a colour. All the talk on the site about PS-19 Camel Yellow got me thinking...and then this happened! Camel yellow backed with white

IMG-7807.jpg

Followed by some decal sticking left me with this

IMG-7813.jpg

IMG-7815.jpg

I think the colour works very well on the Nitrage and will be perfect for a runner. Just need to pull my finger out now and get the radio gear sorted.

Also, I pulled out the other two Nitrage in my collection - 43532 the Grey bodied RTR car and 44050 the Blue bodied assembly kit.

IMG-7817.jpg

• Like 8

Yup that looks nice, thanks had an old rough rider lexan shell painted camel, thought that looked smart. The black really stands out on camel as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

The camel yellow looks really good 👍

Yes, I'm happy with it and wanted something that was very different to the boxart

2 hours ago, hedge said:

Yup that looks nice, thanks had an old rough rider lexan shell painted camel, thought that looked smart. The black really stands out on camel as well. 

Thanks, slowly getting there. Just RC gear to go. Really want a Spektrum DX4C but hard to get a good used one at sensible money

So a bit of an update. Been a busy week with Mrs Acprc away on a course but did manage to make some progress.....and then some steps back! To explain...

I couldn't find a used  Spektrum DX4C at a decent price so ended up buying a new Sanwa MX-6

Sanwa.jpg

Its a nice unit and although it uses the 2.4ghx FH-E frequency (makes the choice of RX more limited) seems to be doing what I need. Fitted the RX to the runner, roughly set up the front brake system and took her out for a spin. Got her started run the Nitrage around for a few mins and the engine stopped. Couldnt get her to restart as the electric starter was just spinning. Thats not right I though and opened up the engine to find the starting pin jammed. The FR-21FX and the Tamiya FD engines are all made by Force for Tamiya and they use a small pin with a spring behind it to engage the starter shaft. This one had jammed in and so I could no longer turn the engine over.

Long story short I had to strip the engine down, push out the pin using the hole on the back of the pocket and then rebuild it.

241643822-10226529741291552-641709045945

241638695-10226529741851566-411021326137 

In the mean time I took an engine out of the other Nitrage's I own and used that. The car now runs but no video yet.

Then....typically a good used Spektrum DX4C came up on Ebay so I got that as well. Really like the way these fit in my hand. Plus RX's are plentiful and cheaper.

IMG-7849.jpg

So just need to fine tune the engine now, get the front brake set up dialed in and she will be done. I wonder if the brake servo is up to the job so that may have to be changed.

• Like 2