hedge

Hilux 58028 Restoration 2021

44 minutes ago, hedge said:

how to hold the items while painting so as not to mark them

Looking good there . When I paint items that are small / flat I use a revolving turntable and place the item on a platform on the turntable , them place the item onto wooden tea stirrers ( thanks McDonalds) to raise it from the platform slightly so as not to stick it to the platform . I've also used a blob of blue-tac and pressed the part onto it like a plinth then sprayed . If I paint the reverse of it too I would complete the reverese side , let it dry , then paint the show side last .For body shells I use the platform system and I also have a Tamiya 'frame' for spraying . The shell sits on the frame - sometimes I adapt it for different shells if it's an awkward fit . It also works with the rear bed . I sometimes hold small items on a wire and hold it with a helping hands clamp ( a bit like the powder coaters do )  , spray all round and leave to dry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Looking good there . When I paint items that are small / flat I use a revolving turntable and place the item on a platform on the turntable , them place the item onto wooden tea stirrers ( thanks McDonalds) to raise it from the platform slightly so as not to stick it to the platform . I've also used a blob of blue-tac and pressed the part onto it like a plinth then sprayed . If I paint the reverse of it too I would complete the reverese side , let it dry , then paint the show side last .For body shells I use the platform system and I also have a Tamiya 'frame' for spraying . The shell sits on the frame - sometimes I adapt it for different shells if it's an awkward fit . It also works with the rear bed . I sometimes hold small items on a wire and hold it with a helping hands clamp ( a bit like the powder coaters do )  , spray all round and leave to dry

Its definitely an art :)

What a cool project, long time not seen this huge car rebuild. I was doing Hilux rebuild some time ago, it is really fun car to work on. Good luck on the painting!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zappto said:

What a cool project, long time not seen this huge car rebuild. I was doing Hilux rebuild some time ago, it is really fun car to work on. Good luck on the painting!

Yeah but the Scorcher is my first love :-). I do want this one to turn out well but we will see what the paint gods have in mind for me. Currently got various bits in various states of painting…

• Like 1

A few pictures that might be inspirational or helpful to some ??. The red is darker than I thought it would be. I did think about stripping it all back again but I’ve come this far and so will wait to see what the end result looks like, after all the light will be different on the outer shell than it is on the inner shell.

Current plan is to finish painting by Sunday. It takes a while to do multi coats of different colours as I am waiting a minimum of 36 hours before I risk masking off the paint I just put on.

9BF2D52A-6872-4718-9A24-0DC739772779.jpeg

5BC43EB8-B3AE-4F90-AC9A-F2F76D1DB663.jpeg

E8D8C734-2CEC-4EFF-9D61-28B137FB7E9D.jpeg

BCC350BE-2EC0-4DDD-99F7-01E9D1D68A92.jpeg

A0FBC044-3EE0-46A6-99CC-149986575C5A.jpeg

10FFE6A2-A930-4819-B93F-E609F305A581.jpeg

647EB060-1C2E-434A-B5C1-FAD7D3207E73.jpeg

07C1C2E4-2C50-480A-9243-BC919CE9AAD5.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

You could try shooting white primer over the gray to help lighten the red 

It did cross my mind but as I had finished the under chassis which includes the rear of the cab and the rear bed side plates it would have meant a full strip. 

I will press ahead and then if I decide to strip it I will only have lost the time it takes to put a couple of top coats on the Cab and Bed. 

The more I look at the various Hilux’ it seems more of an orangey red but I’ll stick with it for now. I try hard but I am no painter. Each job I do I try and learn tips and tricks to make it better but I am no artist more of an applicator. Hence if I can’t buy the colour in the Tamiya range then I can’t have it :-( BTW I used Tamiya colours because the paint is so nice and thin so the details of the body should all stand out nicely. I find Auto paint from Halfords nice but it is def thicker.

• Like 2

Stunning work, it is biggest pleasure to paint, so rewarding. Looks really good! you will use original decals?

25 minutes ago, zappto said:

Stunning work, it is biggest pleasure to paint, so rewarding. Looks really good! you will use original decals?

Thank you. I have a set of repro decals, not sure if they are all high enough quality to use but will def use most of them.

A87652AC-9F7A-433C-B547-C7DFA2680AB1.thumb.jpeg.8aec0f14eb5de18396aa99a6ff326542.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks great decals from here, i usualy use mci, they make decals good quality.

Bit of a set back today. I set about the hand painting jobs, I had these listed as…

Logos, side indicators, door handles, windshield and side window rubber and side door gutters.

But I got as far as the door handle and it just looked rubbish, the paint was all lumpy and you could see the brush strokes. I also noticed that where I had masked the side wing logos that there was a little bit that stood out too much.  Upshot is I’ve re-sprayed the door handle red and I am in the process of re-spraying around the duff logo. It’s going to set me back a few days but once I am happy again I will set about spraying the door handles, gutter and even the window rubber and side indicator lights - at least the orange.

Shame as it was all looking so nice earlier :-)

• Like 1

These things do gut you out a bit - I've been there too . The best thing to do is what you are doing - cracking on and not losing momentum , it will be great and well worth it !! .

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:03 PM, zappto said:

Looks great decals from here, i usualy use mci, they make decals good quality.

@zappto Thank you for this comment. It prompted me to get in touch with MCI and they have told me they will send out a new set, which I think is excellent service.

Edit: If you look at the lower right hand corner decal you'll see white spots on it, this is not dust or camera muck, its on the decal, print errors or blocked heads or spitting ink. I was ready to just accept it as they sell two types of decal, normal quality and high quality, I just thought that was what you get for normal.

Last Saturday I woke up ready to strip and repaint the cab. Been using a magnifying glass to paint the logo, had the paint brush all loaded up with silver and dropped it. It was a perfect streak all down the side. Don’t ask me why but in the next instant I grabbed some thinners soaked a rag and wiped the streak off - along with a section of main colour. With some careful sanding and masking I was able to use the last of my PS8 paint to make it good - well acceptable. 

So on I pushed and it’s finished, well except I have that can of clear coat… should I use it… man I wish I hadn’t.

Stupidly when putting the cab back on its resting supports I still had the can in my hand and duffed the front!!! Well I am all out of paint. I’ve ordered more and will wait for that to arrive before hoping beyond hope I can sand the issue out and successfully respray it. Stupid stupid stupid… grrrr - My shrink says getting it out is half the road to recovery.

487B1195-79BA-4853-9035-364170F1260F.thumb.jpeg.96655862fb9826e38c6e70804cff747b.jpeg

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Everything is saveable , just relax , take a deep breath and move on .

Hope so Kev, I can see the fix in the door because I know where it is but I doubt most would see it. These two on the other hand are much less damaged and so I hope once sanded they will disappear under a cloud or two of TS-8.

just going to wait another day for the clear layer to harden before sanding and masking.

• Like 1

Phew, success, It’s fixed. Not going to add any more to it no clear coat nothing. It’s as good as I can get it, not perfect but I am very pleased with the result.

Looking to start on the decals, Monday. 

E01FAE42-9D95-44B8-8CCF-CFE6F38976F8.thumb.jpeg.95f1fb115822e8fd57a4dd3699fc2fcc.jpeg

• Like 5

Great news - onwards and upwards - looking foreward to seeing it complete . I always debated about putting decals onto my HiLux . I love the look of them , but just couldn't decide  :)

• Like 1

As much as I appreciate MCI, their decals aren't tack sharp enough for a quality model.  Not sure where you sourced these.....but I saw another maker who made better decals but I can't remember their IG handle to save my life.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

As much as I appreciate MCI, their decals aren't tack sharp enough for a quality model.  Not sure where you sourced these.....but I saw another maker who made better decals but I can't remember their IG handle to save my life.

When I first got the truck I could not dind any decals so when I found MCI that was that. Interested to hear if you remember the alternatives.

I will keep these brief and do some "proper" photos later once I've decaled the truck. Since starting this model some 2 months ago barely a day has gone past when I have not dome something to it whether the building or painting. I fully believe that a real modeller could probably spend the same time re-doing all my work, buffing the various components and re-spraying. But for me this is about as good as i can do it for now. The rear mirror or side mirror is missing and while monitoring ebay almost daily except for a $400 NOS one from Switzerland I have not seen one turn up yet. The rear bumper was and still is a bit of a mess but at least its straight and I've re-inforced it with a tab of aluminium. Apart from that the rest is in excellent condition.  

Anyway Ill do a proper set of photos once its been stickered :)

Front.thumb.jpg.b69aa77a7aa22207311901cee4e8532e.jpg

Rear.thumb.jpg.fcbd14cb3117237b3ae76a0d7956b2e1.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, hedge said:

I will keep these brief and do some "proper" photos later once I've decaled the truck. Since starting this model some 2 months ago barely a day has gone past when I have not dome something to it whether the building or painting. I fully believe that a real modeller could probably spend the same time re-doing all my work, buffing the various components and re-spraying. But for me this is about as good as i can do it for now. The rear mirror or side mirror is missing and while monitoring ebay almost daily except for a $400 NOS one from Switzerland I have not seen one turn up yet. The rear bumper was and still is a bit of a mess but at least its straight and I've re-inforced it with a tab of aluminium. Apart from that the rest is in excellent condition.  

Anyway Ill do a proper set of photos once its been stickered :)

Front.thumb.jpg.b69aa77a7aa22207311901cee4e8532e.jpg

Rear.thumb.jpg.fcbd14cb3117237b3ae76a0d7956b2e1.jpg

Yep that’s nice 💥

• Like 2

As much as I’ve enjoyed following this topic I can honestly this is on my ‘should not have sold it’ list.

I knew that once cleaned up, it would have come out excellent but I’ve got far to many projects on the go and the number hasn’t gone down since this Hilux went lol.

I’m really glad it’s gone to someone who’s brought it back to former glory. Exactly what it needed.

Now you can stick it on the shelf to admire, just as I would have.

Cracking job, well done and well deserved :D 

25 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

As much as I’ve enjoyed following this topic I can honestly this is on my ‘should not have sold it’ list.

I knew that once cleaned up, it would have come out excellent but I’ve got far to many projects on the go and the number hasn’t gone down since this Hilux went lol.

I’m really glad it’s gone to someone who’s brought it back to former glory. Exactly what it needed.

Now you can stick it on the shelf to admire, just as I would have.

Cracking job, well done and well deserved :D 

Thanks Mate

Good news is It’s not like it’s gone far and tbh I’ve been into RC cars since I was a kid so doubt I’ll be leaving anytime soon.

I am sure others have had similar experiences, a while ago I sold a Rough Rider and a few weeks later found it all broken up on eBay. It was the first time this had happened and I was a bit sad. I know that overall it will have all gone to good homes and produced many RR but in my mind I thought the person who bought it would finish it off and shelf it.

But your all good here :-)

5 hours ago, hedge said:

The rear mirror or side mirror is missing and while monitoring ebay almost daily except for a $400 NOS one from Switzerland I have not seen one turn up yet

I went for an alu repro many years back from a TC member