hedge

Hilux 58028 Restoration 2021

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

The rear bumper was and still is a bit of a mess but at least its straight and I've re-inforced it with a tab of aluminium.

Rear bumper looks good !!

26 minutes ago, hedge said:

I am sure others have had similar experiences, a while ago I sold a Rough Rider and a few weeks later found it all broken up on eBay. It was the first time this had happened and I was a bit sad. I know that overall it will have all gone to good homes and produced many RR but in my mind I thought the person who bought it would finish it off and shelf it.

I had this happen to me twice that I’m aware of both times with vintage Scorchers.

Seemed such a shame to break up nice original cars and part them out. 

16 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I went for an alu repro many years back from a TC member

Not seen anything like this lately. Seems the Bruiser re re mirrors are ok but still hard to find.

Sitting in my hands patiently waiting for the replacement decals to arrive from Canada. Not sure if they have replaced the whole sheet or just the decal I raised with them. Spotted two other minor print errors since so hope it’s the sheer. 

i think it’s looking pretty good now :-)

Well finally finished the body work. Still have not tested the gearbox and motor but will leave that for a rainy day. For now its done.

I too was not sold on the idea of all the decals and indeed they are not box art as I prefer the yellow spot covers but the rest are as per the manual. However I trusted in Tamiya that they would recommend something that looked good and in my mind the more decals I put on the better it got, very happy with the end result. 

Its been a fair amount of paint...

3 x TAMIYA TS-8 GLOSS ITALIAN RED
2 x TAMIYA SURFACE PRIMER GREY 180ML SPRAY
TAMIYA TS-69 FLAT LINOLEUM DECK BROWN
TAMIYA TS-29 SEMI GLOSS BLACK
TAMIYA TS-27 MATT WHITE
TAMIYA TS-83 METALIC SILVER
TAMIYA TS-13 CLEAR

TAMIYA XF15 FLAT FLESH
TAMIYA X6 ORANGE
TAMIYA X18 SEMI GLOSS BLACK
TAMIYA X7 RED
TAMIYA X9 BROWN
TAMIYA XF 10 FLAT BROWN
TAMIYA XF 57 BUFF
TAMIYA XF8 FLAT BLUE
TAMIYA XF2 FLAT WHITE

TAMIYA PANEL LINE ACCENT BLACK
TAMIYA PANEL LINE ACCENT BROWN

The decals are from MCI and they very kindly replaced a set once I let them know there was a printing error.

Its not in any way perfect but its a nice job and looks nice on the shelf.

lhs_front_close.thumb.png.1df89090f3c280c51ae65cf81d2d8431.png

Driver.thumb.png.55b011374b37d20c2bd524d282dea41e.png

1151654375_TamiyaLedgends.thumb.png.f1286ec74307cf8ab7953fc32faa0b22.png

You can see more shots in my showroom below.

• Like 9

That is totally mint . It looks excellent , I'm in a worse dilema now with the stickers , yours looks so good , and I don't have any !!! . That's a thing for another day

What are the brown panel lines ? - I get 'panels lines' but black and brown ? - I'm intrigued

2 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

That is totally mint . It looks excellent , I'm in a worse dilema now with the stickers , yours looks so good , and I don't have any !!! . That's a thing for another day

What are the brown panel lines ? - I get 'panels lines' but black and brown ? - I'm intrigued

Thanks Mate, not a patch on your stuff though. The brown was for adding weathering to the driver and his clothes.

The decals are ok but def not mint but - and it’s a big but - they are all I could find. I don’t know if anyone else does them. But hey we can get too carried away with this stuff sometimes :-) 

Looks ace , you must be pleased . I'm not sure who else makes the decals other than the usual eBay suspects  , but MCI seem to come out on top . I usually go for Myles' repro's if I can't get originals .  OG Hilux would be an arm and a leg ( possibly a kindey too ) . I have got some repro Hilux decals , but not a full sheet and some got ruined with overspray at some point - not my doing . I might give it some thought to add some  onto the ' to do'  list

You got an amazing example, very well done work, i like photo with scorcher! Interesting what will be other project;)

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 4:46 AM, zappto said:

You got an amazing example, very well done work, i like photo with scorcher! Interesting what will be other project;)

Thanks Zappto. The other project is .... :ph34r: Scalextric... will see how long it last. 

As for Tamiya or RC in general,  i'm playing with what I have for a while. This particular car was on my mind for months and months but as it stands nothing is currently calling to me.