SuperJoeUK

WL Toys 104001 why ?

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, will be building a Tamiya Blackfoot and probably asking if mip ball diff is worth the price soon :D

The wl toys latest buggy the 104001 seems to be all over YouTube, speed runs, brushless conversions etc. From what I have seen it’s slow out of the box. 

My question, why buy one of them and wait weeks for it to arrive, and weeks if you need parts, when you can buy this for the same ish price

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-vantage-1-10-4wd-brushed-buggy-2.4ghz-waterproof-379131

Spec seems similar, adjustable turnbuckles, large bore shocks. It would arrive in days, and it would be easier to upgrade to brushless because from what I can see it has a 3 wire servo. And in my opinion it looks much better that the wl toys. And it has some level of water proofing

Can’t see how the wl toys would be a track car, you be looking at a Schumacher, Kyosho RB7 etc for that.

Am I missing something?  

P.s. Just looking for something cheapish to put my hobbywing brushless combo in, that my son can bash and I won’t be gutted if he wraps it round a lamppost.....Again :blink:

Why indeed? Probably the wrong place for an in-depth discussion on the FTX bit there is 'another place' that might provide more info Vantage / Carnage thread. I've not broken anything on my Outlaw yet (it will happen) but I'm happy in the knowledge that I can get spares quite easily from Modelsport, etc.

As for the Blackfoot...someone with more experience will hopefully be able to tell you about the MIP diff performance Vs price.

There are other (cheaper) fixes available

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperJoeUK said:

Cheers two new things to look into !!

@Xeostar is mid building a new workshop so I think he will do a run of braces when he’s moved into the new one ;)

JJ

I think the main appeal is that it's basically a simplified copy of an xray xb4 so it's sort of based on a buggy with real talent and some of it appears to have survived the translation.

the FTX looks like a LRP S10 Blast Buggy, its looks to me like the cheap reely stuff while the wltoys seems much more modern.

11 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I think the main appeal is that it's basically a simplified copy of an xray xb4 so it's sort of based on a buggy with real talent and some of it appears to have survived the translation.

Ah I see, and a lot cheaper than the xray !

4 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

the FTX looks like a LRP S10 Blast Buggy, its looks to me like the cheap reely stuff while the wltoys seems much more modern.

Hi,

Yeah after reading the vantage forum suggested by badcrumble and watching a few vids the Vantage has a few issues, motor moving away from the plastic spur gear no matter how much you tighten it, which strips the plastic gear with brushless etc...

Ok thanks for replies leaning back to Wltoys now...

11 hours ago, Problemchild said:

@Xeostar is mid building a new workshop so I think he will do a run of braces when he’s moved into the new one ;)

JJ

I'd be interested !

7 hours ago, SuperJoeUK said:

Hi,

Yeah after reading the vantage forum suggested by badcrumble and watching a few vids the Vantage has a few issues, motor moving away from the plastic spur gear no matter how much you tighten it, which strips the plastic gear with brushless etc...

Ok thanks for replies leaning back to Wltoys now...

Just to say, I've got a couple of FTX Hooligans which is basically the Vantage with a rally shell. In my experience there's no problem running high powered brushless motors and the motor moving, where there is a problem is that the spur gear/pinion is not fully enclosed, so gravel, small stones can and do destroy the spur gear.

However there is a cover that almost encloses the spur and pinion, and it's fairly simple to add tape/plasticard to fully enclose it. Not stripped a spur since doing this.

Also the Carnage, Bugsta are basically a wide Vantage, and the Outlaw has the same front end as them, so spares are plentiful and cheap.

Furthermore the Quanam Vandal on Hobbyking is the same as a Vantage and even cheaper.

Very good value for money IMHO.

• Like 1

There's this parallel world of RC based around social media and cheap stuff from China. The WLToys cars belong to that world. Actual model shops are completely bypassed.

Most of the hype is generated by people that want to get affiliate commission from Banggood and lots of followers. So uncritical, excitable reviews involving lots of speed and crashes.

I'm sure they are fine for the target market - cheap car that goes fast until it breaks. At which point it gets put in a cupboard, or maybe has some ill-judged upgrades added to it. Until it breaks again.

The FTX is a cheap car as well but at least you get a little bit of support.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IoWBasher said:

Just to say, I've got a couple of FTX Hooligans which is basically the Vantage with a rally shell. In my experience there's no problem running high powered brushless motors and the motor moving, where there is a problem is that the spur gear/pinion is not fully enclosed, so gravel, small stones can and do destroy the spur gear.

However there is a cover that almost encloses the spur and pinion, and it's fairly simple to add tape/plasticard to fully enclose it. Not stripped a spur since doing this.

Also the Carnage, Bugsta are basically a wide Vantage, and the Outlaw has the same front end as them, so spares are plentiful and cheap.

Furthermore the Quanam Vandal on Hobbyking is the same as a Vantage and even cheaper.

Very good value for money IMHO.

Ok thanks !

Wow that vandal is much cheaper...... Backorder no ETA  … ******...

Found this too which seems to be a similar spec, but cheaper as no electronics, and it's a kit and half the fun for us is building....  Hhmmmm… Vantage is better looking IMHO.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/absima-ab3.4-1-10-ep-buggy-4wd-kit-version-437209

Either way I could save myself some time and buy a bunch of spares at the same time for the inevitable breakages :D     Watch out for the lamppost son..... BANG...….  Orders parts...….Week later back on road..... Don't jump it off there...…. BANG......Orders parts...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sosidge said:

There's this parallel world of RC based around social media and cheap stuff from China. The WLToys cars belong to that world. Actual model shops are completely bypassed.

Most of the hype is generated by people that want to get affiliate commission from Banggood and lots of followers. So uncritical, excitable reviews involving lots of speed and crashes.

I'm sure they are fine for the target market - cheap car that goes fast until it breaks. At which point it gets put in a cupboard, or maybe has some ill-judged upgrades added to it. Until it breaks again.

The FTX is a cheap car as well but at least you get a little bit of support.

Good point, not exactly up on the whole utoob world myself, but I think at least one of them has stated that they make a fair bit from the affiliate 'link in description below' with a discount code if you want one stuff. 

"maybe has some ill-judged upgrades added to it"...... Like adding a brushless system that makes the car go so fast that when it tries to mate with a lamppost, the kinetic energy rips the motor clean off the plastic mounting. It hits the ESC making that come loose and also snaps the battery retainer post causing all three to end up sitting on the concrete path next to the car.... MEDIC !!   ...…… Not sure what you mean :ph34r: 

I have the smaller 1/14th scale 144001 and it’s a blast even with a brushed motor!  So small and light, it’s great fun and pretty tough even at the skate park.  Nothing is indestructible though.  Wish this had been available 30 years ago when I was a kid using Nikko..... (fortunately that led to Kyosho and some proper racing)

I have Serpemt, Team C, Team Associated and PR buggies also, which are clearly another level but I wouldn’t want to bash them even though they are tough enough.

I don’t think availability is too good regardless at the moment, a lot of the wltoys spares are available pretty quick on eBay, and why not buy a few of the obvious spares anyway?

There is clearly a lot of love and promo going on for WLtoys but don’t assume cheap and cheerful stuff over here is any better is what I would say