nicksincrc

XV-01 for TC help

Hi, I have a xv-01 lancia so I presume long damper or looks like. I've used it generally stock for general use -I don't bash my them  though lol- but I'm thinking of trying out casual racing as a club restarted locally indoors, seems more fun based than serious. I do know it's a tight track and given my limited ability my xv-01 is easiest of my cars to drive in that respect, but without going and spending a fortune at this stage how do I improve it for the carpet? Obviously appropriate wheels and tyres, lose the electronics cover and mud guards, but it's the shocks and ride height I need help with. Changing them is not an option as there's non around atm anyway, I have some hard road springs that will fit but what I'd like to know is can I put some internal spacer in the shock to shorten it's travel with the xv-01? How exactly do I use the drop screw I think it has one?? If shocks become available do I change the shock towers and get 50mm shocks ? any advice much appreciated 

Correct wheels and tyres will make the biggest difference. You might find that the long damper spec car is too soft on the springs, but I would actually just run it as it is (with the tyre change) to start with, you never know how well it will go until you try.

If you go to the stiffer springs, it should just be a case of setting the ride height, and if the car has droop screws reducing the droop so the car only lifts a couple of mm before the tyres leave the ground. If it doesn't have droop screws you can use internal spacers.

I wouldn't do anything more than that with it, there are lots and lots of reasons why an XV-01 will be limited in performance as an on-road racer - but it will get you on the track, and give you a taste of whether you like racing or not. Then you can save up for a better race chassis.

They did actually do a TC spec XV-01 for a while (not a success), but that had loads of changes on it to make it more like an on-road car.

10 minutes ago, sosidge said:

XV-01 will be limited in performance as an on-road racer - but it will get you on the track, and give you a taste of whether you like racing or not. Then you can save up for a better race chassis.

They did actually do a TC spec XV-01 for a while (not a success), but that had loads of changes on it to make it more like an on-road car.

Hi, thanks for the reply , the chassis isn't the limiting factor that's me lol I know it's not ideal and it's heavy but it drives better on a tight track layout than my upgraded tt-01e with aluminium steering and turn buckles as well as the usual, or it's just the way I drive lol

37 minutes ago, sosidge said:

droop screws

No it doesn't have them but there are some holes in the arms that look like they could be fitted if anyone reading this knows can you please give me a shout 

As a start, get some racing wheels and tyres, fit the hard springs (hardest you have front, next softest rear as a start), and see if you can get the ride height down to 5.5mm. If you can, don't worry too much about droop screws or anything like that, just see how it drives. There will probably be a bunch of dead stroke beyond the fully unloaded position of the springs, anyway. If you have it, get some thick oil (1 milion if you have it) in the feont diff. See how it drives and post up for help if it's a handful. I have been dialing in a TT01 with no droop screws or anything and it's totally possible. You just need to possibly think out of the box a bit on setup. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

been dialing in a TT01

Hi, regarding your tt-01, what do you use in the diffs? thick grease ? I'm thinking now it may be easier to use that as it's easier to work on and plenty of spares about, it's just limited to adjust and I don't want to start buying rear hubs and stuff as it's better to put the money to get a better car. Any help is much appreciated 

@nicksincrc I have 2 million oil in the front and a blob of tamiya aw grease in the rear. Rear is pretty much completely open. Having run it with stock rear uprights qnd recently switched to some toe in versions, that is well work doing. Otherwise mine is pretty basic as it was originally built to Iconic Stock Class rules. It's Super Stock now with the toe in hubs and steel driveshafts. 

9 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

toe in versions

plastic or alloy? doubt I can get either atm tbo, or 3d printed from somewhere ?

5 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

plastic or alloy? doubt I can get either atm tbo, or 3d printed from somewhere ?

I couldn't find any either so i designed some and had them 3d printed with some work stuff. Seriously though, the xv01 will be better than a tt01. It's got way better geometry even using a dropped rally suspension, and it will already have plenty of rear toe in. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Seriously though, the xv01 will be better than a tt01

Ok thanks , I'll have a proper look at the pros and cons over the weekend :D

• Like 1

Hi, so it's not really possible to fit the droop screws because you can't get to adjust them without removing the upper suspension linkages and worse at the front . If I put a 5mm spacer in the stock shocks I'll probably get ride height down to 10mm maybe, currently has hard front and medium rear xv-01 offroad springs,30k front diff,10k rear diff is how I've been running it for a while. I have some tt-02r hard race springs lying around which I could try or drop my tt-01 to probably 6mm with spacers. any thoughts ?

Ditch the offroad springs and put the hard onroad springs on. Hardest front, 1 or 2 steps softer on the rear. Don't worry about spacers in the shocks for now, just fit the short springs and see if you can get the ride height down to 6-7mm with battery on board with any shock travel left. If you have 8mm or so shock travel that's probably ok. If there isn't any shock stroke left then you will need some shorter shocks to swap onto the car for road racing. Measure the eye to eye distance between the arm and shock tower. Then you can figure out shocks. 

You should get some much, much stiffer oil in the front diff. 300,000 at least, if not more. 

Springs I have off tt-02r are all the same stiffness unfortunately ,plan to  change the shocks anyway if and when I can find some. Just a case of finding the oil and a few other things  I need to do it all at once, thanks for the help 

• Thanks 1

I’ve raced my XV-01 Pro on carpet and it does extremely well. Car has a lot of potential, far more than TT-01/TT-02. 

Recommendations: remove long spec tower and install stock plastic towers from kit. Borrow shocks from TT-01 and use those. Fill with 45/450cst oil. 

Pick up a set of basic Tamiya coloured springs. You’ll probably want blue in front and yellow / or red in rear.  

Droop: front needs very little as the weight is in front. So turn droop screws until it moves down slightly. Rear you will need a lot of droop as it’s light.  

Suspension set as follows:

front camber 0°, toe out 1°

rear camber -2°
ride height 5mm

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Raman36 said:

I’ve raced my XV-01 Pro on carpet and it does extremely well. Car has a lot of potential, far more than TT-01/TT-02. 

Recommendations: remove long spec tower and install stock plastic towers from kit. Borrow shocks from TT-01 and use those. Fill with 45/450cst oil. 

Pick up a set of basic Tamiya coloured springs. You’ll probably want blue in front and yellow / or red in rear.  

Droop: front needs very little as the weight is in front. So turn droop screws until it moves down slightly. Rear you will need a lot of droop as it’s light.  

Suspension set as follows:

front camber 0°, toe out 1°

rear camber -2°
ride height 5mm

hi, thanks very much for the reply, I think I mistakenly put long damper version on my post so the towers are fine. How did you manage to adjust the front droop with everything attached? next thing I got some yeah racing 50mm shocks as I want some anyway as all my others are 55mm so if they don't suit it's no bother I'll put them on another car that needs them, it has lots of springs but I've heard they are very hard but will see I guess unless you have any experience with them ? if so can you give me a recommendation for which insert to use also there's so many ? and thanks for the settings recommendation, so much out of stock but got some 500k oil for the front diff which should help ? Thanks so much for your help everyone, mechanically I have no problems but just no idea of a starting point with setup so this is a great help 

For carpet, we generally run a spool or locked diff. 500k will be too soft, 1 million or 2.5 million will make it easier to drive.

To set droop, you disconnect shocks completely.  You want to make sure you do left / right evenly. 

This video should help

Hi, yes I understand how to do the droop I'm just going to have to remove the shock tower to access the front one cheers 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:44 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

I couldn't find any either so i designed some and had them 3d printed with some work stuff. Seriously though, the xv01 will be better than a tt01. It's got way better geometry even using a dropped rally suspension, and it will already have plenty of rear toe in. 

Hey @ThunderDragonCy would you be willing to share or sell your design for the rear uprights? Recently got a 3d printer so I am keen to try it out. 

Thanks!