Sign in to follow this  
Jorgen

Help me choose car (-:

I cant decide what car to choose.;)

Im stuck between the 2010 Holiday Buggy or the 2011 Blitzer Beetle.

The Holiday Buggy will come with the sport tuned 540 and metal bearings and front oil dampers. The BB will come stock from box.

Which one will be most fun, best performance and all around most bang for my bucks:)

When you say "will come with" do you mean you will be buying those hop-ups as part of the Holiday Buggy purchase, or that those hop-ups are included?  As far as I know, there was no Holiday Buggy kit that came with those parts included.  It would seem strange to have front oil dampers but not rear oil dampers.

I'm assuming you mean to buy a kit and not a built / pre-owned car.

I would advise fitting bearings in either car.  The Blitzer Beetle comes with oil shocks as standard.

As for building - both are similar to put together.  Both are 2WD with the motor hanging out the back, both have independent suspension with solid wishbones.  The Blitzer Beetle is an older design but essentially they have the same design philosophy.

As for running - again, they are similar.  The tyre diameter is similar for both cars and ground clearance is limited on both, so they won't handle long grass or very rough terrain.

The Blitzer Beetle can be improved with Schumacher Vee-2 or Vee-4 tyres as the standard Tamiya tyres are a poor compromise, especially on the rear.  I find mine work OK on tarmac and dry, smooth dirt but aren't good on grass, carpet or astroturf.  That said, I've had mine for years, it's one of my all-time favourite cars and I'm still using standard tyres  The standard Holiday Buggy tyres are more than acceptable for non-competitive bashing.

Now, if it was me, I would buy a DT-02 - but not the Holiday Buggy, I'd get a Sand Viper or Desert Gator.  They don't have the classic body of the Holiday Buggy but you get the same chassis with better parts - namely oil shocks, bearings and adjustable top arms, and a 540 motor.  However, the only reason I would buy a DT-02 is because I already have a Blitzer Beetle.  While both cars have the same design philosophy and fill more or less the same niche, to me the Blitzer Beetle has more presence and somehow has more of that essential Tamiya Factor than any DT-02, which is still "just a generic 2wd buggy".  While the DT-02 (with the right tyres and setup) is probably superior around a track, the Blitzer Beetle has that level of crazy fun that hooked is in the 80s and still infects us today.

If I had neither - I'd choose the Blitzer Beetle.  In fact if somebody stole my Blitzer Beetle, I'd buy a new one before I considered any DT-02.

That's my take on it, anyway :)

for me it would also be the blitzer beetle, ive had the staduim blitzer which uses the same chassis and also bearhawk and loved both of those cars. 

Thank you for your replies. Sorry forgot to add that if I decided on the HB I would get the hop ups mentioned.

Blitzer Beetle all day and twice on Sunday. With those rims / colors it just looks amazing, and it's a relatively sporty chassis if you want to drive it...but if you do, get a lexan body as a 'runner' :D