Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Current state of the re-release market

15 hours ago, Morinstal said:

Where is thunder dragon rere?? Have been waiting for some time, but there is none in local market. Only bunch of VQS and tt02.......

To be honest, i only wait for thunder dragon, after that going to limiting my rc spending XD

Fire dragon is even worse, released last year and yet UK release date is months after thunder dragon....the initial production batch must have been very small!?

I think the general issue will become that as we original 80s and early 90s kids get older, we will tend to get away from the hobby.

This leaves our kids to new rere's?  I think not.  Todays cars with all the plastic, while much more durable, are not memorable.  Well not in the same way at least.   The cars that were upgraded from the factory, just don't have the same love that an optima, avante or super astute would.  My son wont be pining for a trf502 or a b4.2 factory team.  they are generic.

There aren't NEW cars on the market that follow the old ways, nor should they really; they are old tech.

It's tough to tell in Canada, how things will go.  Europe/asia has a far deeper RC nostalgia root than north america has.  My local hobby shop that i used to work for, now really just does mini 4wd, a bit of flight and some plastic models.  When i worked there we would have 30-40 tamiya kits, HPI, kyosho, traxxas.  stacked to the ceiling.  I'd sell 10 kits in a day sometimes.  

I left the hobby for 15 years, and now at 38 I came back to it, with my son at age three 3 coming along for the ride.  I hope he loves it the way I did.  Only time will tell.

The g6-01 chassis is a good attempt at buggies of years ago, with character and ability ...which shows it can be done

• Like 1

It certainly seems to require a special touch regarding re-re's or re-imaginings , On paper the Holiday Buggy / Sand Rover re-works seemed a solid plan ... original concept of simple ,beginner friendly kit , nostalgic body ,380 motor to start so you get the wow factor at a 540 upgrade,double wishbone suspenion platform , solid gearbox and all with a path to uprade as you go. Yet the end result could be described as controversial  at best.

But I do like to think some kid got one for xmas and that model will have the special Tamiya magic to him or her ,just like we had with our first Tamiyas or rc .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, finder75 said:

But I do like to think some kid got one for xmas and that model will have the special Tamiya magic to him or her ,just like we had with our first Tamiyas or rc .

I do too. Who knows? That might be the case. For the disappointment that reimagined model got when it first came out from us old school die-hards, the truth is, its still selling today. I question whether an exact re-release of the exposed drivetrain original would have been as long lived. While I prefer the original, or something at least more faithful, Tamiya might have been right on that one.

• Like 1

I think the reimaginations of the tamiya classics have been pretty good for their current line up. While the comical series does not appeal to me, these cars fit well with the 6x6 models imo. Im happy that the company is able to continue to target younger market segments. I do feel a little bit left out but I still have plenty of kits that I want as far as re res go. I.e. the clods, lunchbox, 3 speeds, super astute. I want the nitro kits to come back, but thats never going to happen. Honestly I cant complain, I know that the special edition clodbuster is going to come out in another color at some point and I will just be happy to get one of those. 

• Like 1

I can't help wondering if Tamiya designed touring car length type wishbones,used tt01 dog bones on the Holiday Buggy and Sand Rover models to bring the wheels closer to the body and a specific front shock mount/body mount to avoid the upside down shocks and "speed holes" at the front ,it could have been a modern classic.

All the packaging and the manual had extra details and cartoon characters explaining the basics and ramping up the excitement of building it and driving it , alot like the guide books would have done back in the day too.

The DT02 platform they used has been in quite a few variations, like the Kumamon and the Street Rover models, so designing new wishbones etc wouldn't have been a small volume thing and Tamiya would have gotten a good production run return.

I agree about the original , it was a product of it's time and the idea of open gearboxes and flexy plastic for suspenion would not go down well today.

The originals had the look ,the proportions of a real beach buggy scaled down and screamed "beach fun" and sadly the re-imagining had more of a " look what we did to make it fit" appearance.

Maybe there is a re-release that is still to come that will nail it and press all the right buttons,who knows

I got pulled back in a couple months ago; I'm about to purchase my first new RC in 30+ years.  My first was a Hornet.  It was great for the time; I wasn't racing anyone other than my friend in his Frog; just having fun.  I am now pretty much the target audience, right? As much as I love the look of the Hornet, I wouldn't get that for anyone actually running their car these days.  For a shelf queen, or very little running, sure. Even now I remember it didn't handle well and wasn't durable.  I went through several bumpers, rear axles and bodies over a couple years of running in the back yard.  I'd much rather see a "Neo Hornet" on the DT-02/03 chassis. Give me a new, nearly faithfull to the original body, with a set of old school hornet stickers, and new "fighter racing buggy GX" stickers for the non-nostalgia crowd.  The Neo fighter buggy/frog combo sticker set was a good idea, in my opinion. After seeing the Neo Falcon job somebody did with the Racing Fighter body, I think that was an opportunity missed.

Anyway, people buy things for different reasons.  I think the Re-releases from the 80's might have run their course, but parts support for the older platforms should be a thing.

I think experience of running a buggy helps a lot regarding its durability.......

My hornet/storm dragon has and will last for years with minimum breakages because I know how to drive it.......whereas my dt-03 I pushed as hard as my dt-02 models and it broke much more easily........I didn't want to run a dt-03 less aggressively than my dt-02 so I sold them!

A mate of mine is still running an original 1980's Hornet; they are a very tough car! We still tear around in a park fairly regularly. Of course it's not going to survive massive jumps, so we avoid those.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:11 AM, taffer said:

The g6-01 chassis is a good attempt at buggies of years ago, with character and ability ...which shows it can be done

I bought the King Yellow to assemble and run in 2020.  With a 15T brushed motor on 2s lipo, it does everything I ask of it and then asks for more. 
perfect blend of capable and fun. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 6:04 AM, c64orinoco said:

A mate of mine is still running an original 1980's Hornet; they are a very tough car! We still tear around in a park fairly regularly. Of course it's not going to survive massive jumps, so we avoid those.

I have an original Hornet I got off eBay that I run fairly regularly. I’m not keeping it as an investment or a shelf queen, so it get driven like a Hornet was intended to. 
For 30 some year old plastics it holds up pretty well. 

That said, I just came across a seller that has Grasshopper IIs for $40 And I had to get one. 
When the slow boat from Hong Kong finally arrives I plan on building it as a runner and it will probably get ball bearings and an upgrade to silver can ( love that a 540 silver can is an “upgrade”)  and it will supplant the Hornet for the most part. I’m not “afraid” to the Hornet, but the Hopper 2 having ABS shell and no external wing to tear off will make it a little more durable). 
Of course, it will get its own radio so my wife and I can run vintage style Buggies at the same time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

That said, I just came across a seller that has Grasshopper IIs for $40 And I had to get one. 

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one..  Hope I'm wrong but something seems fishy here and it's more than likely a scam. 

3 hours ago, Norco Kid said:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one..  Hope I'm wrong but something seems fishy here and it's more than likely a scam. 

That’s why I I’m taking stake in. A) eBay buyer protection and B ) used a CC instead of a debit card 

On 6/19/2021 at 6:04 AM, c64orinoco said:

I drive an '80s Fox and an '80s vintage Kyosho Javelin from time to time.

To be fair, the Fox is probably the most maintenance happy of any buggy I own.

• Like 1