Sign in to follow this  
TurboRSR

Servo goes automatically to one side when powering on - just keeps on pushing

The Futaba S3003 in my Sand Scorcher goes automatically to one side when powering on and just keeps on pushing. When I counter steer it goes (almost) back to the center, but right back again when I let go of the wheel.
Have I done something wrong when I mounted it? The radio equipment I'm using is a Futaba 3PV and a R203GF, everything new and unused.  

It sounds like the servo horn was put on without the servo having first been centered.

Unscrew the retaining screw, take the servo horn off, switch everything on and center everything, then replace the horn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did the same thing with my first car (a thundershot) but this was back in the days of mechanical speed controls. I'd spent several days building it and hadn't yet done the body, but I was so excited to get the first battery in and see how it ran. So out to the garage I went, car and controller in hand. As I flipped the power switch on, the car immediately went to full speed and fell from my arms. Landing on the garage floor it then shot out the garage door and off into the night. I was completely dumbfounded. I raced back in, got on shoes and a flashlight and called for my dad. We found it fortuitously wedged against a landscape timber in the yard. I imagine the fresh battery would have taken it much further had it not gotten stuck there.

Anywho, cheers Turbo. It is conceivable that the potentiometer inside the servo is misbehaving, but I think the situation @casethejoint described is far more likely. His instructions should sort it out.

• Thanks 1

as @casethejoint said, you probably need to center it. take off the servo horn > set on transmitter ST trim and SUB trim to 0 > turn on the car and tx > servo centers > put servo horn back on as is just to test it > re-adjust if needed and trim it per eye > put the screw back on.

That helps, but I had also a Hitec 7955TG 25kg servo, it everytime lost center after hard braking or spin out. Very annoying, I did not managed to get it working I asumed it was faulty, as it was before used on a 1/5 scale petrol RC for Throttle brake, thats a lot of work as it was raced. try another servo if it happends again after you re-adjust it

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys! Took of the servo horn and switched on the power, worked perfectly :) 

• Like 2