lentner3

3D printer options

I'm looking in to getting a 3d printer. What do i need to consider starting from scratch.

types of filament size software etc.

I have no idea where to start but hobbyking has some good options. I'm not sure of the limitations.

Ideally i want to make parts strong enough for RC such as knuckles hubs etc.

Im looking for something versatile if possible.

Thanks in advance

My #1 piece of advice - don't get a resin printer.  Since you're talking about filament size etc., you're probably not looking at a resin printer, but just in case, don't.

I bought one.  I used it a bit to start with but it's such a hassle and makes such fragile parts, I've pretty much left it covered in dust for the last year.

Now, if you want to do purely cosmetic parts, and you're prepared to be creative with how you design your models so they don't have support material all over the visible faces and they don't sag on the deck, then a resin printer is actually quite good - I could still use my resin printer to make some awesome interior details or scale parts for my drifters and big rigs.  If I could be bothered with all the cleaning after every print.  But I can't, so I won't.

I have bought some rubber resin, which apparently makes for a much stronger finished product if mixed 20:80 with ABS resin, but I haven't got around to trying that yet.  It's too much mess.

I get all my structural stuff printed by friends with Ender 3s.  These seem to be the de facto standard for home printing, or at least they were a couple of years ago.  PETG is the material for really strong stuff - my mate has made me a few things that I just can't break.  I think there's a learning curve with PETG to get the temps right otherwise it doesn't bond right, and it never looks great so it's not for cosmetic parts.

AFAIK, ABS is a great compromise between strength and looks.

I was planning on getting an FDM printer last year and was going to get an Ender 3 Pro, it still seems to be listed as a good home printer now.  I didn't get one because I ran out of money and space.

• Like 4

I recommend the Creality CR200B. I'd been struggling to print with any filament on my Tevo Tornado (mostly because I don't know what I'm doing with 3D printing) and I finally decided to look for an enclosed FDM. The CR200B that I bought back in March has really been instrumental in turning things around for me in regards to 3D Printing, especially as I've been intent on printing in ABS. I've even managed to print everything I'd needed to get my Tevo Tornado back in action.

It's a helluva lot quieter than my Tornado (even after I'd done all the upgrades to it) and I've had more consistent quality with it too. I'm still fine tuning my slicer settings for both printers, which is another complicated thing you're going to figure out along the way, but I'm still happier with the CR200B than the Tornado. The only minor thing is that the CR200B has a smaller print area (200x200x200mm) than the Tornado (300x300x400mm). I think it's only minor because I've yet to print anything that absolutely needs that kind of area in order to print. 

• Like 2

All I’d say is don’t buy a cheap one. You’ll end up spending a small fortune on upgrading it and get varying results. It’s much easier to buy a decent one to begin with - that’s unless you want the experience of building and tuning one from scratch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cynan said:

All I’d say is don’t buy a cheap one. You’ll end up spending a small fortune on upgrading it and get varying results. It’s much easier to buy a decent one to begin with - that’s unless you want the experience of building and tuning one from scratch.

I second this 💯👍

• Like 1

I had that if you want to print higher temp filaments like PETG or even nylon etc, you'll want one that is enclosed (also good for ABS, not needed for PLA). And  you'll want to keep your filament dry, you can do dry it out before you print and doesn't have to be an expensive setup. The hot end is probably the most important part when printing high temp filament. 

I have a Prusa i3 MK3s. We use the same at the company and it's a great machine. No Problems of printing any filament, great software, great support.

At the company I often print jobs with 30-40 hours without any failure.

Can be bought as a kit or assembled.

Even the smaller one is really good.

• Like 3

All I can say is that there is still some learning curve when it comes to 3d printing; from designing, printing, and post-processing. Whichever printer you end up buying, there will be nuances to address and parts that needs to be upgraded when the time comes... even the pricier brands like Makerbots, etc. is not 100% fool proof. Some level of tinkering is still required to attain the wanted outcome. Some printers behave differently when using a certain brand/type of filaments. You also need to familiarize yourself with what your printer can and cannot do when it comes to printing certain designs (bridge, overhangs, roof, etc.) 

I, myself, have an older Makerbot Replicator2 that is about 7years old and considered old tech compared to the newer FDM printer; single extruder, non heated bed, small build area, open case, but because I've become accustomed to it, I am familiar to how i need to adjust it when I notice misprints or issues with the filament.

Whereas compared to the ones in the school I work at; bigger and newer tech printer, but my buddy who uses it in his TechEd class is really not well versed with it, each and every print he attempts to do results in a fail. 

So I really think the success of 3d printing also relies on the designer as well... 

Ender, Prusa, Creality I think all these have the same roots... all uses open source slicing software (not 100%) and have been cloned under various names/brand. 

• Like 2

PRUSA

Fit and forget : )

Well, some Hop Ups are nice to have but the Comunity around is huge and so many people who can help you with problems. European company.

• Like 2

I run two Prusa filament printers daily for my own business (model railway parts) and after two years have never had an issue. I use esun PLA+ filament which is stronger and stiffer than the Prusa filament in my experience. It also bonds better to the printing plate so the part doesn't debond during printing. 

Strength wise, the PLA material is going to be quite strong and tough, certainly not as good as ABS for R/C use, but you can also buy ABS filament and print with that. If a part breaks, print another!

For parts to be seen and painted, like interior parts, a finer nozzle (0.2mm over default 0.4mm) may be required or a resin printer.

The Prusa filament Mk3S printers cost me about 5 times more than an Ender Pro but in my opinion it was worth it (just, lol). I'm not a tinkerer with 3D printers as I don't have the time or interest. I need them to be set and forget (with periodic preventative maintenance of course) and I've found the Prusa printers to be reliable and available.

As a side note, I built a full air tight enclosure with an exhaust system for the printers as printing is known to give off ultra fines and VOCs, so best to look out for your health.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the reply’s lots to digest there. I’ll let you know what I’m thinking before I purchase anything. 

1 hour ago, lentner3 said:

Thanks for all the reply’s lots to digest there. I’ll let you know what I’m thinking before I purchase anything. 

There's also the Elegoo Neptune but I read somewhere it's always out of stock due to its low price point and features it comes with.

• Like 1

I don't have a Prusa but they seem to have the best reputation and are probably the best if you just want to print with a minimal of fuss.  I don't mind (really enjoy) tinkering and I didn't have a lot of money to start out with so i got an Ender 3 and that's worked fine for me.  It's been tinkered and modified quite a bit but as I said, that's half the fun for me.  If I had it to do over again, I would get something enclosed.  That's my next project for my printer.

• Like 1