Golden

VQS on High Caps - high ride height...

Thanks @Snappy1! Sounds like the VQS is just what I'm after, so I've ordered an unpainted shell and will try to get some building done this evening. Cheers! 

On 5/20/2022 at 2:04 AM, Robert5000 said:

So, does this high ride height with the hi-caps make it undriveable? As for me who does 90 % of my driving on a bumpy homemade track, the VQS is quickly moving up the build queue. 

With the original rear caps, I found the kit recommend setup was too short.  This meant the rear suspension had little to no droop when lifting the car up.  This causes the rear to to skip over bumps and feel crashy.

I tried lots of build combos of rod ends and droop limiters to get them to work properly.  One size limiter made them too short, the next size limiter made them too long (too long & your driveshafts can pop out under braking or jumps).

I remember the solution ended up being to swap the rear lower arms left to right.  That makes the lower shock mounts upsidedown and much lower.  It allowed for the longer build on the shocks which gave the perfect amount of droop when you lift the back end. It also made the shocks look much nicer installed (a more proper length).

Im not sure which internal limiter I used, nor which length rod end I ended up with on the end of the shaft.  I do know the options for rod-end were either stock hi-cap or extended rod end (same part used on steering tie rods). I can check when I get home.

• Like 1

Not sure if this helps, but I too run much shorter internal rear spacers on my HiCap equipped cars.  On my SuperAstute, I used a plastic 1.5mm spacer inside for the sake of longest possible length without damaging the piston from over extension. 

I like to have some level of droop on my off road cars.. even if minimal. 

I had a look at my vanquish and it appears I did use tie-rod end links on at the bottom of the rears (along with swapping the arms left/right to install upsidedown). I'm not sure what internal spacer, but I would guess it's option recommended for the Vanquish.

IMG_20220523_212221154.jpg

IMG_20220523_212318163.jpg

IMG_20220523_212419439.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW I found the body trimming and shock tower install info in the Avante Carbon Graphite Chassis Set instructions. The images can be found in the 4th post of this thread

• Like 1