Sign in to follow this  
Jorgen

Cant find Tamiya pinions?

Im having trouble finding the correct pionion. I have bought a 53068 Sports Tuned motor and the manual for the Holiday Buggy says it should be a 17T, but no part number?

Theres a lot from other manufacturers, but will they work?

I also wondering about what the manual calls the "motor plate" (see pic) is this something that comes with the motor,? do I need to get one?

Jorgen/Sweden

pin.jpg

The DT-02 uses Mod 0.8 gear pitch, there are various manufacturers out there.  The official Tamiya part number for a steel pinion is 54628.  Many other chassis come with a 17 tooth Mod 0.8 pinion as standard, but they will probably be an alloy pinion and will wear out and fill your gearbox with grinding paste.  If using Tamiya, only use the steel option.

Maverick also use Mod 0.8 on some of their chassis.  They use brass pinions, which are softer than steel but harder than standard Tamiy alloy and should be adequate for a Holiday Buggy with a Sports Tuned motor.  Part number is MV22693

If buying from another manufacturer, check the pinion bore also - it should be listed as 3.2mm.  5mm pinion bore is for big motors.

The motor plate is a little gasket that goes between the motor and the gearbox.  I've installed countless motors without this installed with no negative effects, I'm not exactly sure what they even do.  I have assumed they are to stop dust getting into the gearbox via the motor.  If you really want one the Tamiya part number is 4305125

Thanks Mad Ax for your quick and lenghty reply. Much appreciated!

Huh, I thought Tamiya’s mostly used mod0.6 but maybe not all of them from the old days.   

M.8 is close enough to 32p that there's no problem using common 32p pinions. 

• Like 1