Moogabib

Weight balancing tips for TT01e

Has anyone successfully installed the motor or electronic components (e.g. servo, ESC or receiver) on the right hand side of the car?

The reason I'm asking is I'm always trying to find ways to increase speed and I recently bought a lightweight shortie LiPo battery which significantly reduced overall weight on the car and has helped increase my speed a bit, but now the car is quite heavy on the left side as the motor and electronics are all much heavy now than the battery, which might be making the car a bit unstable on turns.

Does anyone have any tips on how to rebalance the car? I could buy some sticky weights to balance it out more on the right side but ideally I'd like to capitalise on the lighter battery somehow by reconfiguring the motor or electronic components in the car to balance it out more naturally.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can do this? Or should I just get a heavier battery or use weights to balance it out?

The chassis was probably designed for the heavier battery, but now you can choose where to place the saved weight. I had the same issue on my losi xxx4, but on that I could move the servo to the other side and re drill the chassis to place it in front of the shorty lipo. The other option would be to change the esc and motor to a combined setup, or find a lighter esc.

• Like 1

I suppose to a degree you can corner balance your chassis by adjusting the height.  Are you having turning bias issues between left/right or car tracking oddly?

• Like 1

@Willy iine not really that I have noticed tbh. But I've only done one race with this unbalanced setup and it handled ok up to the point where my spoiler got damaged and came off and then my car was flipping pretty much everytime I turned right on any tight corners. This is why in thinking I should try to rebalance the car.

I do have to use a little trim to stop keep the car straight but I thought that was pretty normal.

So would you suggest lowering the car relative the right side to compensate for lack of weight? I guess TT01's are naturally back heavy as well since the motor is at the back. So I guess I could lower the front a bit as well?

Looking at my TT-01e, it seems it might be possible to re-locate the steering servo to the other side if you made new mounting holes there. 

However, I think you would have to move the esc and receiver towards the front where the steering servo used to be to avoid weight biased too much towards the rear. 

As-is, the battery seems to be offset by the motor, esc, receiver and steering servo.  

TT-01E.jpg

• Like 1

Push the shorty towards the rear and place the esc where the free space is on opposite to the servo. Put the reciever where the esc was and done.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 3:45 AM, Moogabib said:

@Willy iine not really that I have noticed tbh. But I've only done one race with this unbalanced setup and it handled ok up to the point where my spoiler got damaged and came off and then my car was flipping pretty much everytime I turned right on any tight corners. This is why in thinking I should try to rebalance the car.

I do have to use a little trim to stop keep the car straight but I thought that was pretty normal.

So would you suggest lowering the car relative the right side to compensate for lack of weight? I guess TT01's are naturally back heavy as well since the motor is at the back. So I guess I could lower the front a bit as well?

Sorry, been busy working on my house over the holiday weekend in the USA and my new Wheeler build.  

So to corner balance correctly you will want to purchase 4 digital scales and place each corner on the scales fully loaded with battery and body.  Then you can adjust the shock heights to get the balance as close as you can.  However, it will be more the final step after physically moving electronics on your chassis as the change is fine and limited.  Also you will want to have dampers with threaded spring seats in order to take full advantage of corner balancing.  

You are correct to lower the corner you want to load weight on, but honestly you can’t guess work this step without digital scales.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I tried out a new configuration last night where I moved the ESC and receiver over to the right side, just in front of the shorty. Already the weight feels much more balanced as the ESC and receiver totalled about 100g, including cables. Servo might be tricky to move over to the right, as I'm not sure my club would allow a modification of the chassis, so I'll I'll how it goes keeping it on the left for now. I put in an order for 4 digital scales and weights but hopefully I won't need the weights after I've done the shock rebalancing. Cheers! The 🙂👍

Getting the lateral CG is critical for anything other than bashing. Doing it without adding weight i.e. by relocating electronics is really nice when possible.

On a TT-02 we can run a shorty pack  with the ESC and Rx on the same side as the battery; depending on which servo you use you can get it balanced just right. Hopefully the TT-01 is similar.

Moogabib I see you are going the multiple electronic scale route but I thought I would mention that a simpler alternative that has been used forever in 1/10 TC is to use 2 balancing "spikes" and balance the car on them down the centerline. Hudy makes a nice/expensive set but I made one with 2 steel rods, about 50mm long that I ground to a sharp point and press fitted into 2 blocks of wood. I then imprinted 2 small dimples with a punch under the chassis exactly down the center line (the higher end chassis already have little holes for this purpose, like for example a F104 ver.II): one at the front one at the back. I can then balance the car in ready to run condition using that very simple setup.

Also I should probably mention that shock "preload" has nothing to do with weight balancing and only achieves a horizontal chassis (not leaning to one side). That still must be done in addition to having the lateral CG centered and it is not a fix for an unbalanced lateral CG.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1