toyolien

DT02 with Truck Wheels. Gear Ratio Question!

After seeing @78Triumph 's Blitzer with some lovely new Proline Truck tires this morning, it gave me the push to build my DT02. I already have a couple of Kamtec Beetle bodies that I was going to use, but rather than using the buggy wheels and tires, I'm now considering putting some Blitzer wheels and larger Proline or Schumacher truck tires on.

I'm not great with gear ratios, but will the larger tires have a negative effect? I've got both 17 and 19t pinions, and will be using a 10.5t brushless TBLM Motor with 2s Lipo.

Thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

I'm running Blitzer Beetle wheels with Schumacher vee4 rear and cut stagger fronts on my Neo Fighter stadium truck conversion. It has a Hobbywing ezrun motor and ESC combo, 3300kv. It has a 19t steel pinion, running on a 5000mah 2s lipo. No issues with temp in any way, has run two battery packs back to back with no issue. Only trouble is it's too fast! Can only really use about half throttle, can't get near full throttle without a significant amount of space.

It did have a 4000kv motor in before and again no issues with temps at all, but that was utterly ridiculous, so fast it was completely undriveable.

Thanks for the fast replies. Much appreciated. @B.RAD Those are the exact tyres I was looking at. I think I'll press ahead with the build.

• Like 1

Stick wheel weights in the front of the chassis as low as poss before you put the halves together, needs about 45g. Wish I had done that before it was built! 

4 minutes ago, B.RAD said:

Stick wheel weights in the front of the chassis as low as poss before you put the halves together, needs about 45g. Wish I had done that before it was built! 

Thanks.  Did that to my brushless Wild Willy 2 too. 

• Like 1

Definitely stick with 17t with truck wheels. I run my dt03 truck today at the trqck for the first time in ages and its running 4000kv on a hobbywing 10bl120 on 2s, no timing on the esc, and it was doing wheelies doen the straight. It was just a bit ridiculous. I need to sell the motor. I ran it with 3300kv on a tble02s and although the esc would occasionally thermal, it was a better fit for the chassis amd limited gearing. I am thinking of going to 17. 5/2900kv ish to be honest. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Definitely stick with 17t with truck wheels. I run my dt03 truck today at the trqck for the first time in ages and its running 4000kv on a hobbywing 10bl120 on 2s, no timing on the esc, and it was doing wheelies doen the straight. It was just a bit ridiculous. I need to sell the motor. I ran it with 3300kv on a tble02s and although the esc would occasionally thermal, it was a better fit for the chassis amd limited gearing. I am thinking of going to 17. 5/2900kv ish to be honest. 

Interesting - I'm running 19t with no problems at all, but it is very quick. Would a 17t slow it down a bit?

Have the same experience of the speed as quoted in my post above, although it's coping ok with the 3300kv motor and on a track I think it would be fine. We've been running on grass tracks in gardens where we don't really get the space to open them up fully. I'm not inclined to make any changes, but always keen to get feedback and learn!

• Like 1

I run my DT-03T on Mad Bull wheels and tyres which have a similar OD to the Prolines, with a 10.5t Speed Passion motor and 10BL120 ESC. I find it easier to manage on a 19t pinion, as it is slightly less inclined to spin up the rear tyres or try to do a backflip if grip is plentiful. A 17t pinion knocks a bit off the top end speed, but makes acceleration even more brutal.

• Like 1

@B.RAD 17t slows it down and keeps motor temps down a bit, but as @TurnipJFsays, it increases punch under acceleration. If you have a 3300kv i reckon something around there is a sweet spot, and a 17t pinion isn't exactly expensive in fact, the kit soft aluminium pinion is 17t. Give that a go. They don't last long term, but a couple of runs won't hurt. 

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@B.RAD 17t slows it down and keeps motor temps down a bit, but as @TurnipJFsays, it increases punch under acceleration. If you have a 3300kv i reckon something around there is a sweet spot, and a 17t pinion isn't exactly expensive in fact, the kit soft aluminium pinion is 17t. Give that a go. They don't last long term, but a couple of runs won't hurt. 

Thanks - food for thought. Punch on acceleration is not something I want more of, so I think I'll stick with the 19t for now as that is working well. No motor temp issues at all.

• Like 1