Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Servos close to heat source...problem?

In the world of Clod Busters, the introduction of Jconcepts' BTA steering system for these trucks has met with much fanfare. It looks like a well-engineered setup but I have one question. Due to packaging limitations, the steering servo is placed immediately next to the motor on the gearbox. It is very close. Will the heat from the motor harm the steering servo in this location? I've never seen a steering servo so close to a heat source, so I don't know. Thoughts?

I would be concerned if close to a IC engine BUT the heat from a motor and gear box I would say is no worry. I would be more concerned of the motor failing if it was getting that hot to effect a servo. The only real thing to fail in that would be the grease drying up. Again no real worry with todays greases

Thanks. It just popped into my head as a concern when I looked at the setup. Depending on the servo size, it seems the two may even possibly touch. That plus motors getting hot enough to almost burn while bashing on a hot summer's day gave my pause. Its such and awesome steering setup though, I want to give it a try. 

7 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Its such and awesome steering setup though, I want to give it a try. 

dont have one but it looks cool! you thinking of getting 1 or 2 jconcepts steering kits?

24 minutes ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

you thinking of getting 1 or 2 jconcepts steering kits?

Just one to start. I think with the stock short wheelbase truck I'm putting together, that should be enough.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had nitro cars where the throttle servo was alongside the exhaust pipe, and it was fine. As long as it isn't touching, the motor shouldn't radiate enough heat to damage the servo.