RepoDave

Street Race build ideas... recommendations.

Vintage Tamiya fan from the ’80s here.  Just easing back into the hobby and have a few questions. There are no tracks in my area.  Parking lots and streets are in rough shape. I would like a streetable racer, 4WD, fast, very fast 🤣, able to handle rough pavement.  I’m thinking low slung buggy with street tires. What are everyone’s thoughts on this?  Would a TT02 handle this? Should I be looking for something with a little more clearance? I’d like something that has plenty of hop up parts available. I’m sure I’d need to be brushless with LiPo power. I got into flying quads and will stay with that but also have revisited my childhood and bought a Hornet kit. I am now being challenged by a friend to a race. He’s shopping for cars as well as I am. What’s a good source for hop up parts?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Dave

I do not know how rough the pavement in your area is exactly but your description sounds like a rally car might be a good fit. Even more so if you like realistic body shells. A TT-02 in high clearance mode should work, I guess. However as you are talking about plenty of hop ups, I would suggest an XV-01 as a starting point. Unless you want to stay with a more or less stock TT-02 (i.e. stock plus ball bearings, oil dampers, and maybe adjustable steering rods), an XV-01 is the much better value option IMHO.

I'm a fan of the df03 Dark Impact. I know some have had issues, but with diff mods and a slipper (set right) they're awesome.

A Castle 5700kv on 3s is about the sweet spot, and should be a 45 / 50mph machine, (enough speed to obliterate it, if you hit a tree / wall / something solid though....) 

With 2.2" and 12mm hex as standard, plenty of wheel and tyre options.

• Like 1