I was driving my TT-02D R33 Skyline today and it suddenly stopped turning. Turns out the servo hole the screw goes into got stripped and now needs replaced. But I've decided to bite the bullet and rebuild the whole thing but I want aluminum parts and I want mostly all of it aluminium. I have no idea what to get. I know there is a rwd conversion but I heard it's bad for traction. Can anyone please help me. 

Suppose it really depends on what you want to use it for. If its rear wheel drive then you can probably just take out the prop shaft and try it like that.

Ive seen unbranded chinese aluminium conversion kits on ebay but never seen any reviews or build threads although there was one on here a year or so ago for the full aluminium kit from Yeah Racing. From what i recall the quality of some of the parts was a bit hit and miss and doesnt offer any big improvements on the driving experience over the stock kit by the time youve fitted the essential upgrades (ie bearings, alloy motor mount and alloy prop shaft)

What are you hoping to achieve by going all aluminium?  If you purely want bling then go for it - there's plenty of parts on eBay, rcmart, asiatees, and Chinese marketplaces.  Most won't offer much in the way of performance or reliability improvements, they'll add weight.  This may or may not be a good thing if you're drifting.

What do you use the car for?  A TT-02D isn't a true drifter, it's a touring car with plastic wheels.  It doesn't have the steering lock or split drive ratio that you'd want for a proper drift car.

The RWD conversion you mention is a true drift conversion - I think it's a bit dated now but it's a very impressive conversion.  I'd love one for my collection.  However if you're going to try RWD drift you'll want to get a gyro - standard human beings don't have the reflexes to drive RWD RC drift unaided.  If you go down this route I would expect most of the standard TT-02 parts will no longer fit, so don't spend money on TT--02 alloy parts until you've investigated the RWD conversion kit.

That said, I don't know what the conversion kit costs - you might get a better-performing RWD drift car from Yokomo or MST for less money, albeit with less alloy.

• Like 2

I would not recommend full aluminium - it looks cool, but gets scratched up quickly, and can bend/tweak. 

The blue tamiya prop shaft is worth having over the stock plastic TT02 prop (prop joints too maybe). Rear hubs and maybe the front C-hubs would be OK too, but alloy wishbones tend to bend - especially cheap ones. 

Blue turnbuckles for camber and steering would be better than some alloy which ones or shock towers. 

Yes the adjustable upper arms will bend at the slightest tap if aluminum. Then you're car will have asymmetric caster and drive terrible!

Alu parts are fine if you're driving by yourself on an open area and less so if you're expecting to crash in other cars or track markers/walls etc.

Shouldn't a Skyline be AWD, just part of the natural order of things? ;)

10 hours ago, Mrowka said:

Shouldn't a Skyline be AWD, just part of the natural order of things? ;)

A GTR and GTS-4 yes, the rest? Not so much (most of them are RWD).

If you want to add bling bits, calculate the total cost.You may find it is not cost effective.  If you want RWD drifter, I would suggest you buy one. They can be bought around 100€ mark new.

https://tamico.de/3RACING-Sakura-D5S-Sport-Edition

https://www.drifted.nl/nl/mst-rmx-20-s-2wd-kit.html

Bling parts/alloy bits for TT cost at least the same money.  I would suggest the parts needed to fix the TT and get another chassis for drifting?

3racing,MST are not that expensive compared to hop upping the TT.

But the new chassis can get expensive also , here my mod mst rmx (rolling chassis was ~200€ and graphite conversion 40€ from aliexpress)

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

On 7/5/2021 at 3:42 AM, djmcnz said:

A GTR and GTS-4 yes, the rest? Not so much (most of them are RWD).

I'm pretty sure the R32-R34 GTR are AWD.

10 hours ago, Mrowka said:

I'm pretty sure the R32-R34 GTR are AWD.

Yep, that's what I was saying (agreeing) + the R35 GT-R and all variants of the GTS-4.

All other Skylines were rear wheel drive only (IIRC).