djmcnz

Auto-Loading All Images, How?

This is a bit of a flummox for me because I'm a tech guy but can't work it out.

Why do images on pages here not pre-load for the whole page? I can't find the setting.

It seems that I actually need to scroll to an image to load it, this means reading image intensive pages takes an extraordinary amount of time because as I scroll to new images I have to wait for them to load.

I have no bandwidth restrictions, if I open a page, especially in a background tab, I expect it to load fully, including images, in the background. If I open an image intensive page I expect it to load all of the images in order, even if I'm paused on the first/top post reading the text. That doesn't happen here and it's a really painful time waster.

What am I missing? How do I fix that? I am a member of other Invision communities that don't exhibit this strange behaviour.

Admittedly I'm only a casual contributor but it's a really irritating experience.

Thanks in anticipation of your tips/guidance!

A lot of Mad Ax's pics take a long time to load - they're hosted on TCPhotos, you'd have to check with Chris if there's any limitations for display speed.

If I scroll down to the bottom of a page, it could be a couple of minutes before they all load and I'm on100mbps fibre with no restrictions - This one, for example is a real slow-loader https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/93162-durandal-custom-22-monster/

Page 1 has 47 images, all around 8mb, so that's around 1/3gb?

The forum is actually pre-loading the pics in the background though - If I don't scroll down the page I can see the slider in the vertical scroll getting smaller, which means the page is getting longer as the pics load

I've noticed TCPhotos isn't the fastest either, but it is provided as part of the awesome TC membership package, is supremely easy to use, allows pic sorting into named album, and is designed around sharing files in forum posts, instead of deliberately making it hard like so many other photo hosting apps.  So I'm not complaining.

I always shoot in hi-res and never bother to downsize my images before posting - perhaps I could save time, storage space, bandwidth and polar bears if I ran them through a smallenator script before uploading :) 

Okay, so I'm not going mad.

If people are uploading 8MB images that needs to be addressed, that's ridiculous. Netiquette used to be a thing, where's that gone?

And yes @Mad Ax - if you're posting hi-res pictures you're contributing to the problem... I don't think a forum needs anything more than ~1024x768 really, hi-res can always be 'provided upon request' if you have them in stock.

We'll save time, bandwidth, storage, money (and polar bears) if a rule to restrict images to ~1.5MB each was introduced, how do we promote that suggestion?

Edit: here's a good example of a page, with not-so-large images, that doesn't pre-load... https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98715-tamiya-trf419xr-42316-ultimate-bundle-£1140-ovno/ and if you click on an image to bring up the browse window, you can't even navigate to images that haven't loaded. Something is broken... happy to accept it's at my end if somebody can explain what I need to change in Chrome for Windows but I only have this problem on this site.

thanks @djmcnz and @TWINSET for bringing this up - I do try to be a polite internet user but as someone who has only recently started blogging my escapades (and only in the last 16 months had a camera worth taking pics with) this little area of netiquette had passed me by.

I'm not sure if I can resize my existing images without going over every single thread and changing the links (I'll do a test later and see) but all my future images will be downsized before upload.

• Like 1

@Mad Ax - sorry, I wasn't mentioning you as a means of correcting your 'netiquette', - I was just using that topic as an example of  a thread that does take a while to load and the 'infrastructure' involved

5 hours ago, djmcnz said:

Edit: here's a good example of a page, with not-so-large images, that doesn't pre-load... https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98715-tamiya-trf419xr-42316-ultimate-bundle-£1140-ovno/ and if you click on an image to bring up the browse window, you can't even navigate to images that haven't loaded. Something is broken... happy to accept it's at my end if somebody can explain what I need to change in Chrome for Windows but I only have this problem on this site.

Dunno what the problem is there - I use Firefox and Chrome, and in both browsers the pics are all there by the time I've scrolled down past the text.

• Like 2