Jump to content
toyolien

Any Meet Ups/Races in the Midlands area (UK) ??

Recommended Posts

Just tried looking at some off road racing at a few local clubs, but none of them have updated their websites for getting on 3 years! Seems all the race info is on Facebook, and as I'm not, nor will be, I won't be finding out any info. So, just wondered if there were any meet ups or race info. Particularly interested in Tamiya (obviously).

Interested in M-chassis, Buggies or just bashing a few wheelies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tamiya Junkies (on facebook i'm afraid) 26th June. Robin Hood Raceway isn't more than 2 hours for you. Whole day or relaxed run what you brung. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Cy. It was the recent Tamiya Junkies posts that started me thinking. I'll see how I'm placed for 26th. Guess I'd have to join the BRCA again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the clubs haven't updated their websites, drop them an email.  While Facebook has unfortunately become the standard for organising stuff like this, they might be prepared to provide a race calendar and info on how to register.  Due to the pandemic, lots of clubs require pre-registration and sometimes this is done via Facebook PM but some use online portals like centralbooking, so you don't need a Facebook account to join.

The Midlands is full of permanent on and off-road tracks.  Broxtowe (tarmac and astro), Stafford (tarmac), Bingham (astro), A1 (astro, Grantham), Robin Hood Raceway (astro and carpet off-road).

I can vouch that Tamiya Junkies it always a grand day out and very free of the stress of racing, since you just run whatever you want whenever you want, but you will need BRCA membership.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

If the clubs haven't updated their websites, drop them an email.  While Facebook has unfortunately become the standard for organising stuff like this, they might be prepared to provide a race calendar and info on how to register.  Due to the pandemic, lots of clubs require pre-registration and sometimes this is done via Facebook PM but some use online portals like centralbooking, so you don't need a Facebook account to join.

The Midlands is full of permanent on and off-road tracks.  Broxtowe (tarmac and astro), Stafford (tarmac), Bingham (astro), A1 (astro, Grantham), Robin Hood Raceway (astro and carpet off-road).

I can vouch that Tamiya Junkies it always a grand day out and very free of the stress of racing, since you just run whatever you want whenever you want, but you will need BRCA membership.

How’s your knowledge of local off road tracks, need to get my truck out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, matisse said:

How’s your knowledge of local off road tracks, need to get my truck out

Closest off-road track to you is probably Mendip.  Primarily it's a tarmac circuit (they also race 1:8 rallycross using part of the grass infield) but they do have a small astro track as well.  I have historically heard people talk of the "cheddar" track but I have no idea who operates it or it if's still there.

I think Mendip have a facility for club members to do test runs at the track at any time, so if you paid the membership fee you might be able to run in the evenings.  Look them up and send them a message, they're a friendly bunch.

Also there's Dirt 3D near Radstock, the track was set up in 2019 with the aim of running some big vintage race meets in 2020, but that obviously didn't happen.  I don't know what the short or long-term plans are for that track now, I don't know if it's being managed or tended.  It's dirt, so needs constant upkeep.  It was being set up by Adie from Racecraft RC, I'll ask him when I see him next.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Closest off-road track to you is probably Mendip.  Primarily it's a tarmac circuit (they also race 1:8 rallycross using part of the grass infield) but they do have a small astro track as well.  I have historically heard people talk of the "cheddar" track but I have no idea who operates it or it if's still there.

I think Mendip have a facility for club members to do test runs at the track at any time, so if you paid the membership fee you might be able to run in the evenings.  Look them up and send them a message, they're a friendly bunch.

Also there's Dirt 3D near Radstock, the track was set up in 2019 with the aim of running some big vintage race meets in 2020, but that obviously didn't happen.  I don't know what the short or long-term plans are for that track now, I don't know if it's being managed or tended.  It's dirt, so needs constant upkeep.  It was being set up by Adie from Racecraft RC, I'll ask him when I see him next.

Ta, mendip is known to me, Radstock is new though.  There seems to be a lot of on-road and large scale off road tracks around here, precious little 1/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiddy is my local. I will join them again once I've joined the brca but there are no clubs days or races I don't think. They just use the track for national events etc. But once a member you can use the track at your leisure so that's a possibility I guess. 

When I started racing there in 1991 every sunday was club day and the track was full of beginners and families enjoying racing. Different demographic now I suspect...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2021 at 3:47 PM, toyolien said:

Kiddy is my local. I will join them again once I've joined the brca but there are no clubs days or races I don't think. They just use the track for national events etc. But once a member you can use the track at your leisure so that's a possibility I guess. 

When I started racing there in 1991 every sunday was club day and the track was full of beginners and families enjoying racing. Different demographic now I suspect...

i spose i could call it my local track also i remember pulling in there a lot on my way to or back from stourport to spectate around the same time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...