matisse

DT02/03 hub options

Besides the @Wooders28 front hex conversion and @ThunderDragonCy printed rear hub anyone tried different front C-Hub and rear hubs for the DT02/03?

I’d like a few more arm mount options and was looking at the 201/DN-01 parts.

EDIT / TLDR:

Rear Hubs:  alloy after market options are available, but very few hubs from other Tamiya cars fit properly, as seen below DF03 hubs and arms are a direct fit. 

Front hubs: DF03 hubs and arms fit. DN01/TRF201 hubs can be made to fit, 0/5 deg extra caster options.

F103/104 uprights fit, both stock and TRF201 hubs

12mm hex conversion from the Schumacher Cougar KR is an easy fit and works with stock and TRF201 hubs.

also this post for more hex front options

And this post by @SlideWRX with a great 3d print design for new uprights.

I was watching an excellent DT03 mod video series not long ago, but it's all in Japanese.  Seems like he's using DF03 arms and maybe their hubs.

It's a bit hit and miss with the auto-translate but he spends a lot of time showing work he's done.  I was just looking to see if someone had done a red and white Racing Fighter body and ended up watching most of his DT03 videos.

• Like 2

That’s an intense series of vids, I throughly appreciate his desire to hack away at his chassis and try anything he thinks might work. The 3D print mid chassis is a little mad though!

Not sure I’ll go the DF03 parts route, especially at the rear, can’t be bothered to get new drive shafts etc…

Watching all those vids does make me think that I shoulda just get the parts and see what happens, watch this space

• Like 1

I am very interested to know if the DF03 parts fit straight on. I know its extra cost, but the steel driveshafts you need for df03 parts also work in the regular dt03 kit and they are much better. They don't bind and restrict the arm movement being the main benefit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I am very interested to know if the DF03 parts fit straight on. I know its extra cost, but the steel driveshafts you need for df03 parts also work in the regular dt03 kit and they are much better. They don't bind and restrict the arm movement being the main benefit. 

Ohh that is interesting, maybe a better option as I’d have to drill out hub holes on the trf hubs to fit. I have the CVDs for the rear do you know if they are the same length as the df03 ones?

Looking at the Dark Impact manual the hinge pins seem to be the similar or identical in length as the TL01 ones you can use on the DT03, so that’s promising. Implies to me you could use the rear hubs on their own or fit whole arms if you wanted to. 

E54023B5-1A2A-44AD-95C7-35EA5C32DB3C.md.

22EC4D67-D690-4516-BB7E-3967D198DCEF.md.

• Like 1

Never one to hang around, ordered some 201 front c-hubs from Plaza along with a 3mm reamer to make the low friction pins fit.

went this way as you can get stock hubs as well as 25 and 30 deg versions to use as a caster tuning aid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

To run other drive shafts, I think you need these outdrives.

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-53790-cup-joint-for-universal-shaft-tt01-and-df02-p-4930.html

I've a df03 and a dt03, plus a load of spares, so if I get a chance, I'll see what fits, but I'm thinking you'll have parts delivered ,and up and running before then...😬

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

To run other drive shafts, I think you need these outdrives.

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-53790-cup-joint-for-universal-shaft-tt01-and-df02-p-4930.html

I've a df03 and a dt03, plus a load of spares, so if I get a chance, I'll see what fits, but I'm thinking you'll have parts delivered ,and up and running before then...😬

Ohhhh interesting, did not even know about them. Thanks for the heads up 

3 hours ago, matisse said:

Ohhhh interesting, did not even know about them. Thanks for the heads up 

These are what I've bought for my holiday buggy ..

2021-06-06_10-08-34

• Thanks 1

I will try the modification on my racing fighter black edition. I have already found the necessary parts but the time to get them I fear will be quite long.

For the 3mm pins (48,5 31 28) I had to find alternatives a little more expensive to the original DF03.

I will update you.

• Like 1

DF03 hubs and arms arrived, looking at them the fit is perfect for the hubs and the inner hinge pin mount……but I think the depth of the DF03 hub means that you won’t be able to use it in the DT03 arm. 

will confirm later

• Like 1

Just mocked it up, the shorter arms of the DT03 pair with the very deep hubs, whereas the longer DF03 arms use very shallow hubs, both use the same length CVD/dogbone.

So whilst they fit perfectly across the two cars, you have to use the whole arm/hub system to stick with the correct length drive shaft. 

Pics later.

Thinking about how longer arms would effect handling. I sure the roll centre will be affected in some way, it moving less as the longer arms need to move less makes sense. Also longer arms would mean longer upper links which should mean more stability and less turn in. 

In the words of Fassbender, Perfection. 
This has gone much better than expected given my recent run of form, which is nice.

as has been mentioned before, the arms and hubs are very different lengths between the DT02/3 and the DF03, the two  parts working as system on each car to use the same axle length of 70mm.

0D999361-0835-4ADA-BCE7-3D3C1336C7F6.md.

160842BE-8545-4C8C-B526-B56D8A6EC7DE.md.

Parts are not interchangeable as the pic below shows. DF hub on the DT arms and you need a much shorter axle.

4DD93A97-D760-4580-AD65-A7A4D6530783.md.

Positives about the DF03 setup are greater mounting options for shocks/camber links & anti-roll bars.

1D0576A1-6E59-4995-BEB3-BDE8E12A7BC8.md.

added bonuses are that they far less flexible, have much less slop and are much thinner at the gearbox mount. This maybe an advantage for the DT02 owners who have to file the chassis to use stainless hinge pins. 

and as @ThunderDragonCy pointed out there is now increased toe-in. 

4BA2B8AF-2A67-447A-9C82-00FC9F7B57C2.md.

I dropped a plastic spacer at the back there to take up the space.

Two things to consider:

1) you’ll need a set of 3x50mm turnbuckles to utilise the new camber link mounts, I have some on order.  In the short term I swapped the front and rear turnbuckles but they are still a tad short at the back

2) the bottom shock mounts are set back further, so you’ll need bigger top mounts. The DB01 ones that come with the Aeration shocks work perfectly.

F6C03153-8ECD-46D5-B268-2591A7B9BCD9.md.

Beyond that it yet to see a downside, in fact it looks great with the DF03 setup, far more like a race buggy imo.

508A9CF6-5290-4F12-B798-1365A9D9F8B0.md.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This thread has retroactively justified my, 'Eh might as well put in on the list', decision when purchasing a DT03 from Tamico. Thank you team :D

• Like 3

@matisse Fantastic! And you get a load more toe in with the DF03 parts which really improve the traction. Looking forward to seeing how the fronts fit. Can't believe this isn't an official hop up! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@matisse Fantastic! And you get a load more toe in with the DF03 parts which really improve the traction. Looking forward to seeing how the fronts fit. Can't believe this isn't an official hop up! 

I did wonder  about that but thought my eyes were deceiving me!  

• Like 1

Nice find, this should be stickied, waiting for the front arms progress.

• Like 1

The more I look into this the more I want a DT02 as well to see what can be done with it..

looking at the TRF 201 hubs, they take a 2.6mm pin, so that will need reaming out to work on the stock arms. Uprights could be the 201 if you have them, but I’m actually thinking the carbon F103/4 would be a good shout. Change of steering angles and Ackerman settings

Update on this, as was pointed out back in 2010 in this thread: 

the F103GT seems to be a great option if you want to have access to hex fit front wheels, something that appeals as it will make the switch from truck to buggy super easy.

they also have trailing axles, which is nice.

I'm confused. How do the F103GT uprights get mounted on the DT03/DT02 arms? Or are the arms swapped as well?

p3.jpg

59 minutes ago, isomer1 said:

I'm confused. How do the F103GT uprights get mounted on the DT03/DT02 arms? Or are the arms swapped as well?

p3.jpg

The F103GT manual shows a 3x37mm rod, that links the upright to the arms. so there is a chance that the upright will fit in the c-hub just as the current ones do as it too uses a 3mm rod.
The F104 upright would be a direct replacement, so my instinct tells me that this will fit.  Mostly as Tamiya love to re-use parts and sizes across many, many models 

The F103GT manual shows a 3x37mm rod, that links the upright to the arms.

oooooooh ok, sorry, running a bit slow today on my end. Thank you for the clarification.

• Like 1