Quincy

BRCR Super Astute 2WD Buggy

After having so much fun with our Stadium Trucks, it is time for something new. During the last outdoor run, a legendary Dyna Storm joined our session. So I decided it is time to build my Super Astute. I found this kit NIB some month ago in an onlineshop of switzerland. Even it is a 2018 Re-Release it is already a rare item. Thanks to my friend @wtcc5, who managed shipping. Unfortunately the packaging of this Re-Releases is not identical to the original ones, but they also look good.

spacer.png

After starting the build, I forgot to take more pics, because I really felt in love with the kit. Some improvements were planned even before starting the assemble, like replacing these dog bones in the rear against CVDs or even TRF double cardan. I also will try to fit the VQS Hi-Caps in the Super Astute. And like always some more ideas are comming during building the car. So I have to change the turnbuckles to adjustable ones.

What I really like about the kit, is the fact that Tamiya uses black screws and ball bearings (unfortunately some are missing). But this causes no trouble, because I am going to change the ball bearings to sealed ones, except the ones in the gear box. And this is the a status right now:

spacer.png

Actually I am a little bit concerned about the diff. It looks so fragile with it`s tiny gears in it. In comparison to the ball bearings, it is really small! Hope it will last for a time, as I am going to use a black Sports Tuned or a silver Torque Tuned Motor. Still not sure what will be the better choice.

spacer.png

As opposed to this it will be certain that I can`t follow all the Tamiya rules (especially Nr.5).

spacer.png

• Like 14

Interesting design solution for the diff :rolleyes: I hope it is tough enough.

About the change of the ball bearings to sealed ones... which sizes and how many are needed?

At the moment I would tend to use the (era correct) black Sport Tuned motor. What spur and pinion size do you use?

I hope too :unsure:

Going to use a 23t pinion gear, that will make 9.22:1 and no heating problems.

Regarding to your ball bearing question: I don`t know :lol: Have them already in my spare box, most Tamiya Standard, only the ones from the diff outdrives are strange size. But for some reasons I also have these sealed bearings in stock :huh:

7 hours ago, Quincy said:

Actually I am a little bit concerned about the diff. It looks so fragile with it`s tiny gears in it. In comparison to the ball bearings, it is really small! Hope it will last for a time, as I am going to use a black Sports Tuned or a silver Torque Tuned Motor. Still not sure what will be the better choice.

This planetary differential is also used in the Avante (2011) even twice and in combination with a GT Tuned Motor, so no worry ;)

• Like 2

As I´ve got just little time, there are just little Updates:

spacer.png

For easier adjustments the turnbuckles have been changed. Unfortunately the 50mm version is not available as a Titanium version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

But it also looks nice with the "blue touch". This fits also very well to the blue spacers, I don`t see the point why to use the G1 parts Tamiya recommends.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The original deck has a lot of flex, maybe this will be an advantage on the low traction surface we are going to race on. Otherwise I will change to carbon lower deck. Also I am still working on the double cardan in the rear even if some people maybe thinking this is over the top. :D

• Like 1

Great project, Super Astute is really 90´s Tamiya quality. Hicaps will fit perfectly, and the planetary diff will just laugh about your motor choice.;)

My buddy ran a 15x4 engine back in the day, and never had to replace the diff... (Avante quality).

Already a plan for the painting?;)

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:04 PM, ruebiracer said:

Great project, Super Astute is really 90´s Tamiya quality. Hicaps will fit perfectly, and the planetary diff will just laugh about your motor choice.;)

My buddy ran a 15x4 engine back in the day, and never had to replace the diff... (Avante quality).

Already a plan for the painting?;)

Happy to hear that the diff will make no problems.

Regarding to your painting question:

First I don`t liked the original Super Astute painting and I was thinking of changing it to a Special Astute Black Edition version. But meanwhile I think I will keep it originally...

• Like 1

As mentioned before I wanted to equip my Super Astute with double cardans. It was a long way to go, a lot of try and error, but I finally did it!

I have tested a lot of different TRF cardans and waisted some money. Finally all you need is Tamiya 42284 (TRF 503 Rear Double Cardan Set). Unfortunately this set is sold out everywhere. Fortunately I could get the parts separately.

spacer.png

To adjust the wheel axle I use three ball bearings (one 5x11x4mm and two 5x11x3mm).

spacer.png

Now it fits perfectly. I am so happy!

spacer.png

• Like 9

It is finally time to board this thread!

It took some time until my Super Astute arrived. At first I aimed for a Rere too, but it didn’t work out. Again Michael Koos (Thank you!) helped me in this case by making a good deal on a haul of vintage buggies. A used original Super Astute was part of it. He already cleaned most of the parts when we sealed the deal that I can buy it from him. Today it arrived sorted and packaged:

d4fdd537-7fb0-4b34-9ggkgd.jpeg

I also bought some spares just to make sure to keep it running for a long time (some more are coming).

• Like 3

@Quincy that´s indeed a High tech Super Astute!:)

I recently fitted Tamiya 53791 in my Dyna Storm using one 5x11x3mm bearing on the inner side.  So I wonder a little bit, how you managed to get the double cardan inside the rear knuckle? Are all 3 bearings on the axle?

Kind regards,

Matthias

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

@Quincy that´s indeed a High tech Super Astute!:)

I recently fitted Tamiya 53791 in my Dyna Storm using one 5x11x3mm bearing on the inner side.  So I wonder a little bit, how you managed to get the double cardan inside the rear knuckle? Are all 3 bearings on the axle?

Kind regards,

Matthias

Yes All bearings are mounted on the axle. One outside und two inside.

Tamiya 53791 are 70mm cardan. The ones I use are just 64mm, so I have no problem with the additional bearing. 

• Like 1

First I wanted to use a black Sport Tuned Motor. But unfortunately the axle of the motor is too short for the Super Astute. Also the Torque Tuned doesn`t fit, so I will use the Lightly Tuned Motor.

spacer.png

Now I have to wait for some more carbon parts to continue the building. Fortunately @wtcc5 will help me once again with an awesome 3d-print part...

• Like 1

Yesterday, I found the time to build my Super Astute. Again, if it wasn't for the strange gearbox and differential, this thing could be on the same level with a Dyna Storm. I especially love the chassis layout and the bearings-everywhere-concept. Also the rear shock tower with its height-adjustments is really cool.

As my chassis is an well (= often) used original version, I replaced a lot of screws, ballstuds and bearings. Most of the plastic parts are still good. The exception were mostly the rear armmounts and gearbox. In front the bearings fused with the steering arm and became inseparable... I could get my hands on a lot of spare parts and these will secure the operation of this car for a long time.

Enough rant! As you know me, I made a lot of pictures... enjoy!

Front bulkhead:

d5fa13b0-303b-4298-87gkxf.jpeg

4d72ce49-357f-4ac9-bpzj7p.jpeg

Front suspension:

4eaed15f-f5a8-48d8-8fhknn.jpeg

efe99faf-8884-484e-ac5ke6.jpeg

da7cb7c6-300b-4ef8-9o6kz0.jpeg

c7cf7eb3-2fde-4c91-94ujyd.jpeg

Steering:

19324838-2dcf-4e6c-9r5k8t.jpeg

a2ad94b9-55de-4c33-9ayk0v.jpeg

Rear suspension:

3904a29a-79af-414a-aigj1t.jpeg

c7033369-850f-4f93-90dkdi.jpeg

Battery box:

142a290d-0927-4171-842jis.jpeg

Gearbox, differential and slipper:

8640001a-a013-4938-8pnjtb.jpeg

969da068-13d2-4ae5-a0ljbk.jpeg

dfaceb97-4099-4d3c-b9ljic.jpeg

ecdb271f-6fcf-48fa-8d0k6r.jpeg

f4ef1a72-0529-4493-9l7k0a.jpeg

0d7b8dae-aba0-4017-9o5jsd.jpeg

b3e5efcc-6412-49d0-a5hk71.jpeg

667efba5-1ec6-41ad-bc8j99.jpeg

• Like 2

f6b0d596-4f2f-46b7-ar6kse.jpeg

Rear shocktower:

03eed944-cc2e-4df4-aibkan.jpeg

3701b613-fa2a-4ea7-bw6jxg.jpeg

Rear drivetrain and suspension:

cfd9c9ec-5fe8-42fd-82ajkc.jpeg

ffd034e1-cbb4-47f6-83ckpd.jpeg

6aac1753-ac21-4583-97bkjt.jpeg

Motor:

19296514-7594-4479-bn1k52.jpeg

70813dec-84a5-4f1b-at2kpp.jpeg

e11903bc-234c-4860-bpskk3.jpeg

Quick overview:

86f33855-57f6-48fa-8cnjs3.jpeg

aa975d9b-761d-4e6f-atjket.jpeg

Gear cover:

eb5a1145-4eb4-44fa-bblk0v.jpeg

Electronics:

ba88d985-4ddc-48b1-9xnkji.jpeg

85e481f5-3187-4c0b-a0cjps.jpeg

bc8143c4-68d1-4cb2-aafjqp.jpeg

Rear wing mount:

3ebd85c8-5d8e-4c31-9n2jjl.jpeg

Hi Caps:

16465cfc-10d1-47a3-9xhki7.jpeg

11ded9a9-df9d-4d68-8ygkbp.jpeg

Intermediate build result:

54ad1e42-c686-4353-9gck5g.jpeg

• Like 11

Nice work, these 'vintage' buggies deserve that sort of care and attention.

The Super Astute and Dyna Storm are some of the best looking vehicles Tamiya ever produced.

• Like 4

Very nice condition Kevin,  you made a good deal! :wub: The Super Astute would also look good beneth my Dyna Storm and my "still to restore" Astute I got from a work collegue 2 years ago. My childhood friend had the original release back then and still has it, beneath a Re Re. I always liked the look of the Super Astute, and the Slipper clutch was totally new to us. Oh, so High tech felt for us back in the old days! And for a 2WD buggy / truck, it´s still one of the best Hopups, if grip is low or very high... Keen on your next tweaks!

As I follow your projects all over rc tech and TC now, I know something special will follow, at least some mods beyound the std. route.:lol:

Have fun,

Matthias

• Like 1

Always creating pressure Matthias :D

I find myself very well behaved with these Tamiya antics. It is the others who want me to open Pandoras box. Just recently @Quincy asked for an custom FF-01 carbon chassis and I had to resist the urge to go fully KRFF-01 on it :P For the Super Astute my plans are just a little tuning, setup and adaption for my electronic components.

Especially with the Hi-Caps the car had a lot of ride height. I had to work on that. In the rear the shocktower is already designed to move up two more steps. I set it one step higher and it is perfect:

44dd2817-1c12-4425-bq6ka5.jpeg

Unfortunately there is no option to do this in front. Removing the ride height rings of the damper housing does the trick for the right height. The downside would be a spring that grinds on the housing and has no upper guidance. So I printed a sleeve cup:

65df132a-c6e7-47ab-9smjrk.jpeg

973889ae-402f-469b-8rbkd5.jpeg

Now the buggy has a competition ride height.

Then I worked on the Hi-Caps. The guidelines of Tamiya for them are strange. In the original Super Astute manual, Tamiya recommends a 4-hole piston. With the 400cst oil this setup nearly has no dampening... My recommended setup for the Super Astute on classic low grip tracks is:

Rear:

- 2-hole piston

- 600cst to 800cst oil

- 42214 X-ring O-ring

- no shim under piston

Front:

- 3-hole piston

- 400cst to 600cst oil

- 42214 X-ring O-ring

- no shim under piston

The rest is all stock parts and my build process from the "Fire Dragon" thread. I should make video of this, too...

76887534-23df-4d68-827kke.jpeg

Then I wanted to add tuning parts. Especially the axles were interesting to save the original parts.

c0448aef-9b32-4c6f-9xyk9v.jpeg

08a2ebc0-4ba4-4ac6-9c9j8n.jpeg

But this was a flop. The bone is too long and the axle too short :rolleyes: To make these fit, I would need a new hub design and longer rear arms... This couldn't be saved with other ball bearings. So these went back into my parts box.

2057214f-330d-4ce0-9vwktu.jpeg

The servo mounts were more satisfying to install.

a558712f-1259-4013-9xak9g.jpeg

As you maybe saw on the other pictures already, I changed the electronics layout. Esc, servo and rx are taken out of the Dyna Blaster. I don't want to change the cables to make the chassis switch easier. And this "forced" me to this layout.Especially the short steering servo cable and the position of the antenna mount were determining. Also the battery cables are very short and ordering this location for the shorty lipo. Of course then the original battery brace was covering the plugs... 

I printed a optimized one:

9b5c2a97-49d1-4eb0-9ynj8y.jpeg

Also the rear of the battery needed a brace:

c091250b-fc1c-42c0-av0kk4.jpeg

All upcoming work will be on the body and undertray. Both are battered a lot and need cosmetics as well as repair. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

Then I worked on the Hi-Caps. The guidelines of Tamiya for them are strange. In the original Super Astute manual, Tamiya recommends a 4-hole piston. With the 400cst oil this setup nearly has no dampening... My recommended setup for the Super Astute on classic low grip tracks is:

Rear:

- 2-hole piston

- 600cst to 800cst oil

- 42214 X-ring O-ring

Front:

- 3-hole piston

- 400cst to 600cst oil

- 42214 X-ring O-ring

The rest is all stock parts and my build process from the "Fire Dragon" thread. I should make video of this, too...

Thanks for the setup, I will assume this 1:1

That is enough mods for me already! :lol:

Are you really sure the 53791 dont fit? I recently recommended them for Dyna Storm and Astute!:D

I think in Juhunios thread for his Super Astute. You nedd the 3mm ball bearing on the inner side, then the axle fits and the bone length:

In the meantime, I replaced the Top force shaft with the 53791 DF02 parts on my Dyna Storm mid...

Would be cool, if you give it a test on the SA?!

• Like 1

@ruebiracer: 53791 definitely won’t fit on an original SA with a 3mm bearing only. The 70mm shaft is too long to. Even without the inner hub bearing it was too long. 

Hey Kevin, did you judge only by eyes? Please have a look at Juhunios car with fitted Top Force Universals. They are 70mm, too. The joint position on original Astute universals (not the dogbones) is different. The 70mm version sits much nearer to the rear hub.

The 53791 are only the newer design, that´s why they also come with the new Top Force Evo!

I can tear down my Dyna Storm axle and kake pics for you. I also couldn´t belive it was so easy after all these years to fit better CVD´s, but the key is the 3mm wide bearing. the rear hubs of Dyna and Super Astute are identical.

We talked about it in Juhunios thread with @Thommo, @Juhunioand @Collin using the knowledge collected by @kontemax´s Astute bible.

Maybe, read the thread from the beginning...

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 2