Golden

Javelin (Optima etc) servo to steering connector

Hi All,

I’ve just run my re-re Javelin (which is a thing of beauty in my eyes - but…. a complete nightmare to clean!) - and had the tiniest (honest!) of front impacts. It cracked the link arm between the servo saver and steering (part OT203-8) per the attached (circled in red - you can see the crack in the part if you zoom in…). 

This seems extremely fragile - and I was wondering whether there’s an upgrade - or was I just (stupid and) unlucky - so just replace with standard if I can source it?

Many thanks!

0C392CB6-97D7-434D-A0A8-1CA04A880E10.jpeg

97B04F1B-74A5-4A5B-9796-F9BF228A117B.jpeg

Thanks. I’ve another look, but can only find metal servo saver assemblies - but they tend to be just the main arms/mechanism. This part is currently a plastic link arm. Might be able to use turn buckles - but strange there's no metal part?

Here’s another shot from the manual. Red encircled item is the plastic part in question - the metal upgrades only seem to be available for the parts I’ve circled in blue….

7BD2F42D-F9E0-4345-9504-D47C0D591C8C.jpeg

I would consider turn buckles (might be slightly short for turnbuckles), or if you have what is needed to do 3D print, I would be thinking about model it and do 3D printed part (in PETG or ABS)...

I’ve gone for a few options in the end… 3D printing would probably be best - but a bit beyond me…

Bought another tree of parts, so I have the originality. 

Also bought a Jazrider aluminium servo saver assembly - which comes with the connecting rod (the ort which has cracked). 

And had a few messages with Antony at Kyosho Spares - and he thinks he has the correct fitment for turn buckles and threaded rod - so might give that a go too - and think that might actually be the best all round solution…

I have an optima and turbo optima too - and all have the same design. It’s a bit of an issue I think - as I really didn't smack it hard at all - and if the part breaks then you’re kind of stuffed. 

Will report back on the upgrade options…

Good to know.... I have a Javelin waiting for assembly and a Turbo Optima should come at some point...

Will look forward to your feedback :)

I've crashed my Javelins pretty hard and entrusted them to the tender mercies of a six year old driver, but none of the plastic parts in the steering are yet to break.

I believe you, just that, if my experience is typical, I would not worry too much about the long term durability of this particular part.

Now the plastic steering knuckles are a different matter, if my results are anything to go by.

Well…. Ball connectors don’t fit through the frame/chassis unfortunately. Will report back if the Jaz Rider part is any good. 

F86C9998-58A9-423C-AC01-1A07882E390C.jpeg

I had this exact same thing just happen to me. I took the Javelin on a test run in the backyard (haven't even put decals on it) it bumped into a wall and the plastic connector snapped! I saw there was an ebay dealer making an affordable metal steering servo arm and connector, so waiting on that.

I did not have this issue, nether on the Javelin and the Turbo Optima.

That being said, I broke two of the links of the sway bar attachement which seems to be in the same material while mounting the kit. I mounted them without specific precaution directly on the car.

I contacted Kyosho and they sent me replacement. They suggested to place the part in the ball on a flat surface: that helps to avoid breaking them. In case I break them again, I would print a replacement part in PETG or Nylon: it's quite easy to model a more resistant one in Tinkercad or any other 3D modeling tool...

6wnw8Kh.jpg

For those with the problem with the part OT203.8, I will design a replacement printable part: I did print OTW102 replacement part for test (MJF PA12), and it works perfectly. I'll publish this part as soon as I have a chance to make it. In terms of design it is pretty much straight forward...

It did took me approximatively 30 seconds to do a variant of my sway bar attachment for the connecting rod (the balls are 4.8mm, same as the sway bar attachement, making this easy to do). That said, I did not tested the parts, as I do not have the problem neither on the Javelin, neither on the Turbo Optima.

Kyosho Optiima parts by silvertriple - Thingiverse

It should work printed in PETG on the same direction as provided within the STL. That being said, I have no clue about how long it will last. I got my sway bar attachment printed in Nylon PA12 using MJF process via a online printing service, and that should be durable enough (but it is expensive - I got it printed only as I was doing other prints in the same order for my Marui Hunter; I would not order just this part as it would cost a fortune.

This is the first time I designed a part that will be involved in the car's mechanics, so I won't take any responsibility if you break something with my designed part. Use at your own risk.

Hope it helps.

The original optima/javelin had a threaded rod attached to two open ball ends. Maybe something like that can be recreated?