Hudson

Is 'Expert Built XB' Tamiya collectable??

I just bought a XB Desert Gator NIB all complete in original box and packaging.  I have several DT02 buggies (my kids use them) and I particularly like the Desert Gator (though not the decals!).  I wasn't specifically looking for a XB but the price was good and generally I find Desert Gators pretty hard to find these days.  Now that I have it, and seeing as it's all shiny and new, I'm wondering if keeping it NIB might be a wise move.  The packaging is very cumbersome and unappealing and I'm running out of shelf space!!

Any opinions on this??

I think so, given that the popularity for your particular car increases in the future.. future as in like 20+ yrs from now.   

As a collector of M38 Wild Willy's, anything that relates to the car holds some level of value even if it's a mug for decorating purposes.  It depends on the collector how much value a particular item holds and our pockets can be pretty deep.   I will also note that a collector has a different mind set from a regular RC guy, he/she may not even like to build or have the ability to build RC stuff, so you never know.  

That said, I took my NIB XB Honda City Turbo apart last week to add bearings, new electronics, new springs, etc.  :lol:  Even painted a few things Tamiya missed, like driver's facial features, hood pins, etc.      I kept the box and everything so that I can revert back to stock if necessary, but I usually don't crash so drive my cars on my indoor track unless super special where I keep it in a display case    

One thing I don't like about these XB cars is the base plastic is unpainted on the hard shell cars, sometimes including wheels.   That means over time the body and wheels can discolor making a white car look yellow with any hint of UV in the room, etc.  I have my cars in a shaded area with LED illumination only, but that only extends the time from discoloring.   My time capsule is a completely dark HVAC controlled room.  aka wine cellar..

Wouldn't think so... though I only buy XB for the factory finished body: the chassis gets upgraded with bearings and CVA shocks and is sold on. 

If everyone saves them NIB just in case they become collectible, then no. If most people chuck out the boxes and run the cars and use them up, then... possibly.

Personally, they hold no appeal for me. At least NIB kits hold the potential of being built someday, but the XB models already have the "fun part" done.

• Like 1

I’ll stick to my original plan, add bearings and oil shocks and give it to my kids to use. That big ugly box is definitely going in the bin!

I wonder if XB stuff is sometimes overlooked by us purists? As I said before I’d been looking for a Desert Gator for a while without much joy. In the end I reckon I got great value for money, I need to buy the bearings, the shocks I already have, otherwise everything included…..

• Like 2

Apple make everything easy so why not ?

QB is precisely that - so may well become collectible down the line ?

Personally, it’s a no for me …

But that’s only because I love the older - and inherently more valuable - kits 

Doesn’t make new drivers or collectors wrong !

OP - Yeah, honestly I did not know what a Desert Gator was until I read this thread so you probably made the right choice for you and the kids to enjoy driving it.  GL with the mods!