Gazzalene

wheel hex`s. going larger

When using larger wheel hex drives what are the options out there? do all increase the width? whats the best type connection wise to axle? best brand for Tamiya use? etc

From my expirience 4-6mm is out there plenty.

some buggys and monster trucks use 8-10mm. But to use them on touring cars you need the buggy axles.

my opinion is to use any aluminium wheel hex clamp type. The always stay on the axle and never get stuck inside the wheel itself.

• Like 2

Been doing some research on this myself lately and there are a lot of options now.

- the standard hex diameters are 12mm and 17mm, although I mistakenly bought some 14mm hexes recently.

- the width or thickness varies from a lower bound of 4-5mm all the way up to 25mm or more for wide offset extensions. There are sets that have 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, etc. all in one, and other sets come in multiples of 5mm (10mm, 15mm, etc.). It really just depends if you want the vehicle's track wider than normal or not.

As Fabia says, the clamp-on type adapters are better/stronger because they stay in place on the axles when you remove the wheels, which keeps the pins in place so they don't drop out and get lost.

If you want even more options, there are 12mm hex to 6x30 adapters which allow you to use scale crawler wheels with 6 lugnuts, among many others.

Do you mean just the width?

Or do you mean going to a 17mm (if I remember right) and 1/8 scale wheels? 

Width wise, once you start going wider than around 8mm, you need the low profile serrated nuts, you can measure how much is sticking out of the nylocs, and go just that much wider, or get the serrated low profile and measure.

To goto 1/8 wheels, I've found the spigot (?) type better than just the hex adapter, slightly more expensive, but worth it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193647200363

4 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

although I mistakenly bought some 14mm hexes recently.

I think Schumacher used 14mm on the menace and the XTR3E?

5 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

clamp-on type adapters are better/stronger 

Just don't try and nip the tiny cap screw up tight, they strip or snap....(maybe just my cheap ebay ones.)

Gazzalene you are mentioning the width so you are probably after standard (for 1/10) 12mm hex but in different width than the kit hexes? In any case as mentioned above make sure you go with clamp type ones. There are tons of chinese made options all over feebay. Quality can be hit and miss (for example you tighten the little clamp bolt and the hex still slips off the axle...). Tamiya has a few size, perfect quality of course and expensive. Square/Integy have some beautiful ones at a totally unreasonable price in my opinion :)

In terms of width, the limit will be having enough thread remaining for you to tighten you wheel nut. You can then do 2 things:

- get low profile flanged nuts which will buy you 1.5mm more or so if I recall correctly

- get longer wheel axles (and that, is totally chassis dependent... a bit more info would help).

I went through this recently to get proper wheel fitment on a TT-02 Porsche body.

I have found out by mistake that the clamp type hexes are available with different centre hole sizes. I ended up with some 5mm centre ones that wouldn't clamp on the 4mm axles, then I ended up with some that were too small and I had to drill them out. 

11 hours ago, El Gecko said:

Been doing some research on this myself lately and there are a lot of options now.

- the standard hex diameters are 12mm and 17mm, although I mistakenly bought some 14mm hexes recently.

- the width or thickness varies from a lower bound of 4-5mm all the way up to 25mm or more for wide offset extensions. There are sets that have 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, etc. all in one, and other sets come in multiples of 5mm (10mm, 15mm, etc.). It really just depends if you want the vehicle's track wider than normal or not.

As Fabia says, the clamp-on type adapters are better/stronger because they stay in place on the axles when you remove the wheels, which keeps the pins in place so they don't drop out and get lost.

If you want even more options, there are 12mm hex to 6x30 adapters which allow you to use scale crawler wheels with 6 lugnuts, among many others.

Please post the 14mm ones. I need those to fit F1 wheels to touring car.

14 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Traxxas 4954R Steel Wheel Hubs

14 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I would love to see the finished product! The modern F1 wheels with lower profile tires look amazing and come in realistically wide size for something like a Le Mans car. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Gecko said:

Traxxas 4954R Steel Wheel Hubs

so these are 14mm?

My idea is to mod the M02 if possible, to have F104 Rubber tires and rims. I guess 3d printing is the easier way. but thanks.B)

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

I would love to see the finished product! The modern F1 wheels with lower profile tires look amazing and come in realistically wide size for something like a Le Mans car. 

I bought the sweep racing ones, the rears are 40mm wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

so these are 14mm?

My idea is to mod the M02 if possible, to have F104 Rubber tires and rims. I guess 3d printing is the easier way. but thanks.B)

Yes, 14mm hex. I didn't read close enough in the product listing... there is a 12mm measurement, but it's the axle pins that are 12mm, not the hex diameter :wacko:

After doing some research, the 14mm hubs may turn out to be a happy mistake, since I'm now considering other options for wheels that I would have never considered before. Pro-Line makes a 14mm hex to 6x30 hub adapter, so in addition to maybe trying out some 6x30 wheels with better tires on one chassis, I have some old pin drive wheels that I think I can drill out to accept the 6x30 arrangement on another...

(It's also good to know that the F1 wheels are 14mm hex... I was considering a set for tarmac driving on my Grasshopper, but ended up sticking with offroad for the time being)

On 6/9/2021 at 9:13 PM, El Gecko said:

Yes, 14mm hex. I didn't read close enough in the product listing... there is a 12mm measurement, but it's the axle pins that are 12mm, not the hex diameter :wacko:

After doing some research, the 14mm hubs may turn out to be a happy mistake, since I'm now considering other options for wheels that I would have never considered before. Pro-Line makes a 14mm hex to 6x30 hub adapter, so in addition to maybe trying out some 6x30 wheels with better tires on one chassis, I have some old pin drive wheels that I think I can drill out to accept the 6x30 arrangement on another...

(It's also good to know that the F1 wheels are 14mm hex... I was considering a set for tarmac driving on my Grasshopper, but ended up sticking with offroad for the time being)

The f1 wheels are 14mm hex rears, but the fronts are bearing wheels.

16 hours ago, Matty36 said:

The f1 wheels are 14mm hex rears, but the fronts are bearing wheels.

Correct, that's the whole reason I even considered them in the first place. Not many options for 2WD/bearing front wheels these days.