Sign in to follow this  
Toad16v

TT01 lower front suspension arm play

Evening, was giving my tt01 a quick check over this evening and noticed that I've got a fair bit of play in the balls/ends of the lower front suspension arms. The little split ball arrangements don't seem like the most precise parts, but I wondered if there was a way to reduce this play? I'm really not keen on aluminium/aftermarket arms if I can avoid it.

If you're not keen on upgrading the suspension arms, you can get alloy pivot balls that should tighten things up a bit.  I had the same issue, but once I got that sorted, the OCD in me got pestered with the excess movement in the suspension arms.. thus, I upgraded the whole lot. Tamiya 54559 RC Suspension Arms Low Friction Ball (4pcs) For TT01/TT01E/TT02  4950344545599 | eBay

• Like 2

Tips that might help:

- use the low friction balls as mentioned above 

- get fresh lower arms (buy a new plastic sprue...)

- insert the balls with the slot horizontal 

- try both sides of the arm with light pressure and insert from the easiest side (arms are identical not symmetrical ie there’s no left and right)

- do not use any grease (attracts grit and accelerates wear)

- there’s a component of “luck” involved unfortunately, due to molding and manufacturing tolerance sometimes one side is looser than the other :(

• Like 2

Got the new low friction balls and popped them into my existing arms and everything is a lot tighter and happier. 

Thanks for the suggestion! Wish I had fitted them at the start.