Nickaford

Simple(?) question about battery packs

Hi

I have just bought a Schumacher Supastox car off Ebay - without any real research - it was a bit different and quite cheap so I went for it.

Had I done any research at all, I would have seen that they ideally run on 1s lipo (2s shorty will fit).

I have Nimh in my other cars and don’t really want to splash out on a new charger for lipo. The Nimh hump pack doesn’t fit and the race pack will require some stabilising bars to be removed. 

A 5 cell Nimh would fit - but my physics A- level was too long ago - what is the difference in performance between a 6v and 7.2v battery pack on the same motor?

I am not planning to race - I just want it to be working and go at a reasonable speed.

TIA

• Like 1

I had to look up the car to see what it was... Basically just a 1/12 scale pan car, isn't it?

The old standard battery for 1/12 racing was a 4 cell NiCd, later NiMH. This gives 4.8 volts nominal, around 5.5-6 volts actual. Plenty of power for those little cars, and no BEC needed, since the voltage is well within the receiver and servo's operating range.

The new standard (from what I've read - haven't raced 1/12 scale in probably 20 years) is a 1S lipo pack, with a voltage step-up gizmo to run the radio, since the pack only puts out 3.7 volts nominal.

If you want to keep it cheap and just have some fun running it, a 4 or 5 cell NiMH should be fine, or even a 6 cell "mini" NiMH (made from 2/3A cells, usually around 900-1100 mAh capacity).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks - really helpful - I hadn’t realised that there were mini Nimh packs - I’ll try one of those - although it comes with a mini Tamiya connector but I guess I can just buy a normal connector and replace it.

Is that a flat pack or a rectangular pack?   I have both shapes in 7.2V..  I bought the flat ones from MaxAmps (about $40?) that fit my MicroRS4 and the rectangular ones from a vendor that sold the Flamingo's on eBay.