Sign in to follow this  
RichieRich

Turbo Optima (original)

Years ago, I restored my Turbo Optima. It's a combination of NOS parts including an Option House belt drive conversion and some solid used parts. I used an RCScrewz set also. At the time, I couldn't find a body so I used an Associated ProTech body. It came out rather nice. In order to get the body on, I used a CRP shock tower and made some body mounts from Tamiya parts. Thankfully, it's all reversible and I can reinstall the original shock tower.

Since Kyosho has rereleased the Turbo Optima, I purchased a new body set, wheels and motor guard. In my excitement, I already installed the wheels. Now, the goal is to paint the body box art, reinstall the original shock tower and install the motor guard.

to.jpg

• Like 11

Here's the update. Original rear shock tower installed as well as new motor guard. Also, the tires are Tamiya. To me, they look more like the original Kyosho sand supers. For the body, I actually painted the rear louvers. The body set comes with black decals for those. I didn't use them.

to02.jpg

to01.jpg

• Like 5

I just realized I should probably take a picture of this car with my Turbo Ultima. They are the original Turbos. I also have a Turbo Optima Mid SE that I haven't looked at in years. I believe it's just missing a body set + decals. There may be some other parts missing. I have not found it yet during my unpacking.

Still unpacking. I've found my Turbo Ultima which was restored nearly 20 years ago with all NOS parts including the 240ST motor.

Also, I added my Turbo Optima Mid SE. So, eagle-eyes will note that it has the platinum shocks but the incorrect rear brace on the left side of the transmission. When I purchased the car, it appeared to be a combo of a Mid and a Mid SE. It did not have the rear brace to mount the MSC, it had a LeMans 240ST and it had the adjustable turnbuckles. Those came with the Mid in the box. BUT, this car also had the silver wheels, platinum shocks and ball diffs which makes me think it's a Mid SE. The body it had was painted red and beat up. It did not have any Kyosho decals that would identify it as either Mid. Anyways, It's missing the plastic belt covers and the body. At some point, I'll acquire a body for it. Or maybe Kyosho will re-release the Mid series and I'll get a re-re body.

turbos.jpg

• Like 1

Love that pic ^^^^!

I am in the middle of rebuilding a Turbo Ultima right now.  It was an eBay find from last year sometime.

• Like 1