Sign in to follow this  
whahooo

Lunchbox failing throttle or steering after 20 Minutes of use

Hi,

a friend of mine has a lunchbox with a carson cup machine, a TEU 105 BK, 24 ghz Radio and a generic servo.

after 10 - 20 Minutes of ose the throttle begins to fail, it isn`t reacting. if you turn it off an on again somtimes the throttle reacts, but the steering faails.

I do not know what radio he uses, but is a "modern" 2.4 ghz Radio. What could be the Problem`?
is is maybe a BEC Problem (i do not understand what the BEC does exactly...)?
Does he need a radio battery (a batterypack that provides Power to the Receiver)? I do need a Battery for my Clodbuster because the 2 Servos draw need to much power, so if i do not use a receiver battery the Servos stop working after a fw seconds of full throttle.

It could be that the thermal protection had kicked in.

When the ESC gets hot (especially if he used anything more than the stock 540 motor), it shuts down to protect the circuits.  After cooling down a bit, it would run again until it heats up again.  If he's using a faster motor he'll need a better ESC. 

I doubt that BEC would be a problem. BEC is 'Battery Elimination Circuit.'  It just means that the ESC gives power to the servo from the main battery pack. Nearly every ESC has BEC.  It simply lets the battery's power run through the receiver.  Sometimes BEC could cause a problem when the servo is digital and cannot handle the voltage.  Most servos like 6v.  7.2v was fine when servos were analog.  But digital servos doesn't like higher voltages (but they like higher current as you have discovered yourself).  LiPos can get well over 8v when fully charged and digital servos designed for 6v doesn't work well (that's why they sell 'high voltage' servos and ESCs which down-regulates the voltage to 6v = 105BK is one of them, but it adds heat if the battery has higher voltage).  

1) I'm sure he checked to see if the battery hasn't run out after 10-20 minutes?  

2) Check to see if the motor isn't anything better than the stock 540 motor (Tamiya 25t might be fine, but even Sport Tuned might be too fast). 

3) Check to see if the servo isn't digital.  

I hope these would be a good starting point. 

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

1) I'm sure he checked to see if the battery hasn't run out after 10-20 minutes?  

2) Check to see if the motor isn't anything better than the stock 540 motor (Tamiya 25t might be fine, but even Sport Tuned might be too fast). 

3) Check to see if the servo isn't digital.  

Thanks Mate!

1.) Yes, he switched the Pack after the throttle began to fail. With the new Pack the Throttle failed again and i said that the Battery might be not charged, so i gave him one of mine fully charged packs - he had the same errors.

2.) neither the Motor nor the ESC was hot. The "Cup machine" is sold as a alternative to the sport tuned Motor, but is way slower and weaker.

3.) i will check that.

I gave him one of my ESCs and a new servo to test that Setup. But i think he will need a receiver battery or a better Radiogear.