Exit13

Tamiya ECS’s Fail

I think the model I have been buying is TBLE02s and I’m on my second failure. I thought these were supposed to be a step up from HW1060’s but I guess not. I have only had 1 hw fail on my since the beginning of the calendar year.  But back on to the Tamiya fails: maybe I’m running to low of a turn motor?  One was 13T thunder bolt and one was an 80’s “TWISTER” motor (so unknown turns.). Both failures result in the turning servo working and the ESC showing green signal when forward or reverse is applied but the motor just won’t spin. Any ideas how to rectify or is it on to a new ESC?

TJBldqj.jpg

of course this most recent failure was on a camping trip and I had zero RC tools / parts on hand. 

When time permits can you post some info on the steering servo? There seems to be an issue where the HV capable servos allow more current than intended, possibly damaging the ESC. I have not had it happen personally, but it has popped up in random threads.

My thoughts would be the motors, 13T is well under the recommended 23T (I think) 

I'm running a 10.5T brushless on a TBLE02 with an ESC fan, on road it's fine, take it off road on dirt tracks and it's pretty much cooking after 10 minutes or so, now switched back to a sport tuned with the TBLE02 and upgraded (maybe) to a hobbywing xcar 60a which will also run sensored brushless and for £16 a fair bit cheaper than the tamiya options.

I think similar to the TBLE it will run brushed and brushless and comes ready to go with a fan, is programmable with a usb lead £4 as well, maybe worth a look!

48 minutes ago, isomer1 said:

When time permits can you post some info on the steering servo? There seems to be an issue where the HV capable servos allow more current than intended, possibly damaging the ESC. I have not had it happen personally, but it has popped up in random threads.

They are all old 1980’s futaba 

1 hour ago, Exit13 said:

I think the model I have been buying is TBLE02s and I’m on my second failure. I thought these were supposed to be a step up from HW1060’s but I guess not. I have only had 1 hw fail on my since the beginning of the calendar year.  But back on to the Tamiya fails: maybe I’m running to low of a turn motor?  One was 13T thunder bolt and one was an 80’s “TWISTER” motor (so unknown turns.). Both failures result in the turning servo working and the ESC showing green signal when forward or reverse is applied but the motor just won’t spin. Any ideas how to rectify or is it on to a new ESC?

TJBldqj.jpg

of course this most recent failure was on a camping trip and I had zero RC tools / parts on hand. 

I think you got it backwards. Consensus is the hw1060 is the stepup from the TBLE02S which comes stock in many Tamiya kits, especially when using it to run brushed motors. Many have recommended to ditch the TBLE02S because it cannot handle lower turn brushed motors. Brushless, however, it could be a decent piece.

• Like 1

Yeah the tble02s is good esc to get most people started on some standard and slightly faster motors. People sometimes give them unfair comment. It will not run for too long once you go faster than a super stock 23T with 25T being the official supported limit. As above works well on brushless 10.5T Tamiya on road when used with fan. Maybe 13.5 for another brand.

sounds as simple as running too hot a motor.

The 13t is killing the ESC. If you want to stick with the TBLE02, either stay within spec turn brushed motor or go with brushless. I run mine in 13.5brushless without fan and it has been good for casual bashing. I’ve also modified all my TBLE02 to have a LiPo cutoff since ive started using 2s lipo on all my RC. 
FWIW, i think the ESC is a good value given that it is dual mode with some decent features, but it cannot tolerate heavy load/bash running. 
i have an older kyosho endoplasma which is. 16t double wound motor and it fried one if my ESC. It may also be because older brushed motor draw a lot of power???

I’ll use a TBLE 02 if it comes with a kit until it pops then upgrade to a HW 1060, the brushed ones are cheap as chips, and LiPo ready.

Very nice PK Ripper by the way, that brings back some good memories. Never had one myself but a mate did 👍🏻

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I’ll use a TBLE 02 if it comes with a kit until it pops then upgrade to a HW 1060, the brushed ones are cheap as chips, and LiPo ready.

Very nice PK Ripper by the way, that brings back some good memories. Never had one myself but a mate did 👍🏻

Thank you. I just picked it up for almost nothing from my motorcycle mechanic. I’m very happy to have it as my camp ground cruiser for dirt bike events. But back to you ESC I guess the 13T and the vintage 80’s twisters are no go with the Tamiya. Is torque tuned within its spec?  And I guess I fried them. Is there any repairing them or move on the HW?  I hate that the switch doesn’t fit from the HW. I wonder if I can solder on the one from Tamiya to the 1060 ?

Torque tuned should be fine. If that wasnt the culprit for the ESC acting up, it could be your servo. Are you sure the ESC failed? This specific ESC can sometimes switch from brushed setting to brushless. Have you eliminated the fact that it is not your motor by using a known good esc to check if it will work? 
if all else fails and you are certain it is the ESC, no point in fixing it unless you are electronically inclined. You can certainly solder the Tamiya ESC switch in place if tht suits you

2 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Thank you. I just picked it up for almost nothing from my motorcycle mechanic. I’m very happy to have it as my camp ground cruiser for dirt bike events. But back to you ESC I guess the 13T and the vintage 80’s twisters are no go with the Tamiya. Is torque tuned within its spec?  And I guess I fried them. Is there any repairing them or move on the HW?  I hate that the switch doesn’t fit from the HW. I wonder if I can solder on the one from Tamiya to the 1060 ?

Geez Louise you got that PK for next to nothing!!! Wow nice work I believe they can fetch a bit nowadays 👍🏻

Yes the length of the switch wire is on the short side, I cut the switch off a HW and then soldered on another switch with its wires from a fried TEU 104 ESC for my SRB and works a treat. That is Torque Tuned.

The lowest turn brushed motor I have is a Sport Tuned paired with a TBLM 02 (which is just outside Tamiya spec) but with no problems, but a 13.5t brushless in my Wild One will occasionally thermals in grass, no fan on it though. All powered by LiPo.

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Same here. Many people have the 02 ESCs that are reliable but I purchased on from Amazon for $90 or so. Ran it 3 different times for no more than 10 minutes each. it went crazy on 3rd run delayed or no response to throttle controls and it got jammed full forward or reverse... tried everything but it was gone. That was $90 lesson wasted. Went to the HW1060 and it's working great. I view all 02 ESCs as potential lemons now. The 2005 lunch box has 02 ESC  and it will be replaced at first signs of trouble. $40 for a 1060 is much more reasonable than $90 for something that might be faulty...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nel33 said:

Same here. Many people have the 02 ESCs that are reliable but I purchased on from Amazon for $90 or so. Ran it 3 different times for no more than 10 minutes each. it went crazy on 3rd run delayed or no response to throttle controls and it got jammed full forward or reverse... tried everything but it was gone. That was $90 lesson wasted. Went to the HW1060 and it's working great. I view all 02 ESCs as potential lemons now. The 2005 lunch box has 02 ESC  and it will be replaced at first signs of trouble. $40 for a 1060 is much more reasonable than $90 for something that might be faulty...

Not sure you want to hear this...but Timetunnelmodels sell the TBLE-02S for about 15quid shipped just about anywhere in the world. I have bought all mine for less than NZD30 including shipping...

I've had 3 fail and it was the BEC. Two just failed with no apparent reason but I think the other was taken out by a cheap nasty MG995 servo as when I replaced the ESC it was all going crazy until i swapped the servo out. I like the TBLE-02S as they are versatile being able to run both brushed and brushless, and I tend to stick with kit motors or go brushless so they work. I have started buying cheap Surpass version of 1060's now though as they are about half the price of the Hobbywing and seem to work well. I have enough cars that saving $20 on an ESC is worth it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Not sure you want to hear this...but Timetunnelmodels sell the TBLE-02S for about 15quid shipped just about anywhere in the world. I have bought all mine for less than NZD30 including shipping...

I've had 3 fail and it was the BEC. Two just failed with no apparent reason but I think the other was taken out by a cheap nasty MG995 servo as when I replaced the ESC it was all going crazy until i swapped the servo out. I like the TBLE-02S as they are versatile being able to run both brushed and brushless, and I tend to stick with kit motors or go brushless so they work. I have started buying cheap Surpass version of 1060's now though as they are about half the price of the Hobbywing and seem to work well. I have enough cars that saving $20 on an ESC is worth it!

$60 total to get one from the UK? not that bad at all of a price. i knew that i overpaid for the ESC a long time ago, stuff on amazon usually is overpriced to an extent anyway. it was my first purchase of an ESC so i didnt know any better price options, just chose the one that would usually come with the kit. im probably going to stick to HW brand for the time being. its more of a psychological response at this point. i had a bad experience with the 1st one i purchased and its made me question if i will get a dud the next time. im hoping the one in the lunchbox isnt a dud but im prepared for that day should it come. i still dont particularly like either ESC for its default brake mode when you let the trigger go to neutral, usually a bump in the other direction is needed to kill excess speed if you cant coast to a stop.

• Like 1

1060’s is all I run these days and can be had for US$20.99 on Amazon with free shipping.   So no reason now to run TBLE02S especially when the recent ones have crude throttle map.  

• Like 1

Just had yet another new defective TLBE-02S return. I think that it's the fourth this year. All have been BEC issues; this one puts out 3.42v with a fresh 6-cell NiMH. They've all been defective out of the kit box. I do not sell them separately because of their high defect rate.

Also, it seems that when the cheap servos fail, they kill the BEC, which I haven't seen on any other ESC.

The TBLE04S is a step up. I’ve tested it with a high draw servo (Savox) and it was steady. It also has lipo cut-off

• Like 1

If anyone has a dead Tamiya TBLE-02 ESC, I'm in the market for parts...  I want the on/off switch...

PM me!

Terry

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Smart guy, Frog Jumper!   

I'm actually serious.

I want to cut the on-off switch off and replace the one on the Hobbywind so I can use the Tamiya switch holder...

I'll pay shipping, and maybe a few extra $$$ for a pint...

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

I'm actually serious.

I want to cut the on-off switch off and replace the one on the Hobbywind so I can use the Tamiya switch holder...

I'll pay shipping, and maybe a few extra $$$ for a pint...

Terry

I know you're serious, I do it all the time!  If you can't find the switch check out RadioShack of all places if in the USA.   IMG_Mar272021at55921PM.jpg.ea34b46ab993a7731841dd3286d93260.jpg

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I know you're serious, I do it all the time!  If you can't find the switch check out RadioShack of all places if in the USA.   IMG_Mar272021at55921PM.jpg.ea34b46ab993a7731841dd3286d93260.jpg

Does that RatShack switch come with a cover (like the one in the middle), or without (like the one on the right)???  Where do you source the cover???

Thanks,

Terry

28 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Does that RatShack switch come with a cover (like the one in the middle), or without (like the one on the right)???  Where do you source the cover???

Thanks,

Terry

No switch housing, but since you’re probably using the Tamiya rubber switch cover (?) you don’t really need one.  I don’t use switch housings on my M38’s that are running the RadioShack switches.  

I suppose you can shrink tube it partially if you need a housing.  

IMG_Jun182021at14850PM.jpg.9a94e39d75741fd845c89892890a5aa5.jpg

IMG_Jun182021at14902PM.jpg.885dc5478203eb693a260b4bdff0cf0b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

No switch housing, but since you’re probably using the Tamiya rubber switch cover (?) you don’t really need one.  I don’t use switch housings on my M38’s that are running the RadioShack switches.  

I suppose you can shrink tube it partially if you need the housing.  

The ESC will likely go on a buggy/truck and it may be subject to "weather"...  Shrink wrap is a good idea...

I'm still in the market for busted Tamiya ESCs!

Terry

7 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

The ESC will likely go on a buggy/truck and it may be subject to "weather"...  Shrink wrap is a good idea...

I'm still in the market for busted Tamiya ESCs!

Terry

Yeah, if exposed you will want to seal that up.  The M38 is an enclosed chassis so I suppose my switches are better immune..

• Like 1