Sign in to follow this  
Misterp180

Burning smell from Tamiya ESC?

Hi,

Fair new round here so please be gentle with me!

While having a late evening blast round the garden track this evening my TT02b stopped responding to throttle or steering. The ESC started smelling like burning plastic so I unplugged the battery and shut everything off as quickly as possible.

Is it likely that my ESC is fried? I have been using 7.2v nimh batteries and a Torque Tuned motor so nothing too hot!

Should I claim on warranty with Tamiya as it is only a month old!?!?

thanks in advance for any help

9 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

Hi,

Fair new round here so please be gentle with me!

While having a late evening blast round the garden track this evening my TT02b stopped responding to throttle or steering. The ESC started smelling like burning plastic so I unplugged the battery and shut everything off as quickly as possible.

Is it likely that my ESC is fried? I have been using 7.2v nimh batteries and a Torque Tuned motor so nothing too hot!

Should I claim on warranty with Tamiya as it is only a month old!?!?

thanks in advance for any help

most likley, they have a habit of doing that.

contact the shop you bought it from and they may be able to warranty it

56 minutes ago, matisse said:

most likley, they have a habit of doing that.

contact the shop you bought it from and they may be able to warranty it

Useful to know! 
Any idea what causes it to happen? The TT-02b manual suggested mounting the ESC onto the Servo which I didn’t think sounded a good idea at the time. Going to try positioning the replacement behind it with the receiver on top of the servo instead.

21 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

Useful to know! 
Any idea what causes it to happen? The TT-02b manual suggested mounting the ESC onto the Servo which I didn’t think sounded a good idea at the time. Going to try positioning the replacement behind it with the receiver on top of the servo instead.

The typical point of failure is the BEC, the part that manages current flow to the servo and receiver. Sometimes power-hungry servos can speed up their demise, but it isn't the most robust design and sometimes they just go up in smoke for no apparent reason. I don't think placement plays much of a role.

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

The typical point of failure is the BEC, the part that manages current flow to the servo and receiver. Sometimes power-hungry servos can speed up their demise, but it isn't the most robust design and sometimes they just go up in smoke for no apparent reason. I don't think placement plays much of a role.

Thanks for the advice.

looks like I am in the market for some new ESCs this weekend!

😂