Sign in to follow this  
Unknown Driver

Where To Find Re-Releases

Morning all,

Hopefully this is the right place for my question - but I've been struggling to find a reliable resource for re-release kits - especially in the US. AsiaTees and RC Mart have a decent inventory but shipping is astronomical - are there any hobby shops in the UK or even in the US that you've all had success with?

I like restoring old cars that would go to the crusher, but sometimes the ONLY option is a re-re...

Thanks!

I use ebay.  Many of them are in Hong Kong also.  

Or there are companies like Amain or Towerhobbies.  They don't have large Tamiya selections. But Tower gives you $20-40 coupon every week.  If they have what you are looking for, it could be faster, cheaper and more reliable than many ebay sellers.  

If what you need are parts, ebay has several reliable kit breakers. They buy re-released kits and sell parts one by one.  I restored many that way.   

• Like 2

I too would check eBay first.  I buy from eBay sellers located all over the world as my interests are in the vintage/nostalgic cars..I do not limit myself to any specific countries.  

Tower is also nice and buy paints from them all the time.  

When the Fighting Buggy was announced I pestered RPP hobby to let me pre-order one.  They eventually did put it up on the site when they were able to order from Tamiya USA, not sure if it was because I was bugging them or if there were others.  Maybe worth a try?  I also rely on AMain and Tower.  I have a phenomenal LHS but since COVID TamiyaUSA wasn't taking phone orders so he hasn't ordered directly from them in a while (strange I know, but he is older and doesn't like to do email) so now I can only easily order what Horizon will stock.  Prices were always better when he went direct to Tamiya.

My Thunder Dragon was from RCPlanet, which I believe is just a rebranded Amain Hobbies as thats where the shipment came from and the receipt. I got my Monster Beetle from Tower Hobbies and used some good discount coupons too, and thats where I have my Evo on pre-order. My local Hobby Store is great for paint and things, but it doesn't stock a single Tamiya model.

Thanks for the replies fellas - I was hoping there was some super-secret option, but at least this verifies that I've been lookin' for love in all the right places. lol

• Haha 1

Tower is usually the best for US ordering because of free shipping and coupons.  Their prices are almost always lower than any overseas seller once you factor in shipping costs.  The biggest problems with Tower is that they do not stock all Tamiya kits (looking at you, Fire Dragon - edit: SEE UPDATE BELOW) and the US in general gets kits after most other countries in the world.  So if you don't mind waiting and they have it on order, you will probably get the best deal there.  Plus, they do not charge your credit card until the item ships, unlike A-Main.  That said, A-Main is my 2nd place to look when Tower does not have a kit.  The Fire Dragon, for example, is on pre-order at A-Main, so I have one ordered there with a $15 off coupon.  But A-Main charges immediately and their coupon codes are nowhere near as good as Tower, plus you can only use each monthly coupon code once, unlike Tower where you can use the codes over and over again.  That's why I did not order a 2nd Fire Dragon.  And now the coupon this month is only $10, not $15 like last month, so I'm holding off ordering a second kit.

2021-06-26 Update:  Tower now has the Fire Dragon for pre-order on their web site shipping probably sometime late August.  After coupon, it is a better price than A-Main, so I canceled my A-Main order and ordered 2 kits from Tower since I am not in a hurry for them.

Edited by Champ85
new information
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice Champ - I just ordered a Top Force Evo from Tower. Out the door using a coupon code I paid $370 shipped. Now - it may not arrive for a month or two, but that's ok. Now I can stop debating whether to buy one. haha