Hawksquawks

tamiya monster beetle Original

So it's going to be Christmas soon for me. my cousin has just dug out his old Tamiya monster beetle he had as a child back in the 80s been buried in an overgrown shed for the last 20 years. Ill possibly have an Original lunchbox too soon. both free.  really looking forward to restoring it.   

201986090_982933455781265_1175044917046505284_n.jpg

• Like 8

I want to see more up-close pics of the one on the right!  

Terry

Sweet , nice find .

I'd like to see the tyre that fits on the rim in the background there

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

I want to see more up-close pics of the one on the right!  

Terry

What have you spotted ?

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

What have you spotted ?

20 years of overgrowth!  Lol!

Terry

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

20 years of overgrowth!  Lol!

Terry

Haha yes, I don't have them currently about 250 miles away, but i should have them in the next week or so,Ill get some close up pics when received.  This is the best I can do for now  I wonder if the motor will still work haha

202723292_318340349935886_9191525368691174435_n.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Digging the 'rat' look 

It does look pretty cool, Ill be keeping this one almost as is for the shelf and some bashing, the other chassis will be rebuilt for bashing. 

201948721_144176417778555_1865978502149291964_n.jpg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Hawksquawks said:

It does look pretty cool, Ill be keeping this one almost as is for the shelf and some bashing, the other chassis will be rebuilt for bashing. 

201948721_144176417778555_1865978502149291964_n.jpg

You have to keep that body as is!  Try to keep the 20years of dirt too!  Adds to the "patina"...

BTW, don't try to replace the windows, the new Re-Re window piece doesn't have the rea-windscreen...

Terry

Does it have the Trinity motor in it? That's a sweet extra for that monster beetle! :)

On 6/17/2021 at 10:16 PM, KEV THE REV said:

Sweet , nice find .

I'd like to see the tyre that fits on the rim in the background there

Looks like a small rusty bin to me Kev 😳

26 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Looks like a small rusty bin to me Kev 😳

:lol:  just kidding

• Haha 1

Be sure to correct the rotational direction of the tyres, they're on the wrong side of the car. 😉

10 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

:lol:  just kidding

Funny thing is I got the joke just as a posted my question 🤦

It’s been a very long week 😂

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:22 AM, mongoose1983 said:

Does it have the Trinity motor in it? That's a sweet extra for that monster beetle! :)

I don't know about the rusty motor, but the other one has a demon power motor.

• Like 1

The rusty motor looks like a stock silver-can that it came with when new. It's funny how the RC hobby mirrors full-size cars where people dig out 'barn finds' (or 'attic finds' usually) and bring them back to life.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Unknown Driver said:

The rusty motor looks like a stock silver-can that it came with when new. It's funny how the RC hobby mirrors full-size cars where people dig out 'barn finds' (or 'attic finds' usually) and bring them back to life.

"Barn attic rediscovery" in my case, since I was the one who put them there in the first place :ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:32 AM, Frog Jumper said:

You have to keep that body as is!  Try to keep the 20years of dirt too!  Adds to the "patina"...

BTW, don't try to replace the windows, the new Re-Re window piece doesn't have the rea-windscreen...

Terry

Totally agree, this thing is awesome--just fix the mechanicals and leave the body as is. If you don't clean it now, you won't have to clean it again later on!

Hi. Seeing this is a Monster Beetle Thread…I am redirecting my old original MB but would like a set of original instructions. Does anyone know where I could find one of these please ?;)

Absolutely  perfect. Thanks @Willy iine  as a newbie to Tamiya Club, I’m finding it full of like minded enthusiasts and a whole heap of really useful info to get me back into my retro cars I used to drive in the late 80’s..;) lol 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wranger said:

Absolutely  perfect. Thanks @Willy iine  as a newbie to Tamiya Club, I’m finding it full of like minded enthusiasts and a whole heap of really useful info to get me back into my retro cars I used to drive in the late 80’s..;) lol 

Excellent.  You're welcome.  I see that you have a SandScorcher as well.  :D

@Willy iine yes, a rere. My plan….which I hope will come together……is to build the sand scorcher as is. But I have also bought a Rough rider Body, wheels, front post and servo saver.  In the hope that I can have 2 cars on one chassis with a minor change .. ( that being change the front post ( which is connected to the chassis through the servo saver), change the wheels, and body shell…. And hey presto…a Rough Rider ( the R/C I always wanted as a kid).    What you you think of this plan…will it be do-able do you think?