Sign in to follow this  
c64orinoco

Comical Frog WR02CB - Step screws coming loose

My wife was driving her Comical Frog yesterday, putting in some practice so she can be competitive in the Postal Racing, when she SMS'd me saying "I've broken the front suspension". On a WR02CB? I feared the worst - had she actually cracked a C-hub? I broke the servo saver when I clipped the shed, how did she manage worse than that? When I got home it turned out to be not so bad - the upper link arm had lost the 3x14mm step screw on the chassis end. We've already ordered some spare screws, but of course the car is out of action for a couple of weeks.

I think I now need to check my Comical Hornet as well - I think these step screws are notorious for coming loose? Is there any way to ensure they stay in (regular checks every time we run them now) or are there any solutions that provide a more secure connection?

I was thinking that a drop of superglue might help hold the screw in, since threadlock probably won't work on a metal-to-plastic joint.

Hi, a drop of superglue will help but a mechanical solution would be better such as below.

This is very common in this chassis, and I lost a lot of screws before deciding that something must be done! Have a hunt for some other threads that offered options,  but for me the best route was a GPM set of upper arms like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPM-Steel-Anti-Thread-Turnbuckle-Tie-Rod-6pcs-Set-For-Tamiya-WR02-Hop-Up-Parts/112063880532

One set of the above let me fix two chassis, which sounds like what you need. They’ve both been fine ever since. 

Other solutions seem to involve either glue or drilling the hole to make it big enough to accept a ball end attached with a nut at the end, rather than relying on the self tapping ball ends that clearly shake themselves loose.