Sign in to follow this  
Crumb

TT-02 2wd conversion

So I converted my tamiya tt-02 into a 2wd car so it can drift a little, mostly just spins out but I kind of like it. I did it by removing the things in the picture, and it performs fine, slower but that’s to be expected when you remove half of its power, but it makes a little whine when first hitting the throttle. I’m not sure if this is fine and just the diffs spinning freely or if it’s damaging it. Thanks.image.thumb.jpg.348582b6e4ec96d8b2fbef7f09cf0a0c.jpg

You can simply remove the prop shaft, front diff/diff bearings/diff outdrives and the dog bones (like you did). Also 2WD drift without a gyro will be mostly undrivable regardless of what you will read online. It will be fine do do donuts on the kitchen floor but that is about it.

I currently run a TT-02 in RWD but NOT a drifter. I had to experiment with setup until it would stop spinning out when applying power. Now it performs well and is fun to drive. It IS a lot faster than AWD due to less drivetrain power loss, but it is also harder to drive as expected. At the end of the day it is "useless" for racing since there is no racing class for it but it is certainly fun to tinker with and lap around the track or around cones if you can find a quiet area with enough grip.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

You can simply remove the prop shaft, front diff/diff bearings/diff outdrives and the dog bones (like you did). Also 2WD drift without a gyro will be mostly undrivable regardless of what you will read online. It will be fine do do donuts on the kitchen floor but that is about it.

I currently run a TT-02 in RWD but NOT a drifter. I had to experiment with setup until it would stop spinning out when applying power. Now it performs well and is fun to drive. It IS a lot faster than AWD due to less drivetrain power loss, but it is also harder to drive as expected. At the end of the day it is "useless" for racing since there is no racing class for it but it is certainly fun to tinker with and lap around the track or around cones if you can find a quiet area with enough grip.

Do I Have to remove all of those or is just the dogbone removal fine.  I should have specified, doughnuts are really all I wanted to do so yeah it’s fine. Thanks

It is up to you, there is just no point in spinning parts that are not doing anything :)  but then it is not a big deal either if you are just having fun doing doughnuts. I assume you are using drift tires? Can't always tell from the pictures since they make these realistic threaded drift tires these days!

56 minutes ago, Crumb said:

Do I Have to remove all of those or is just the dogbone removal fine.

It does not matter either way.  

If you remove the dog bones only, then the front gears would just rotate doing nothing.  That's fine.  Just take out the drive cups from the gearbox and store them safely. If you haven't already, they will pop out.  Also you can tape up the holes with masking tape or something. No need to let dust in when it's so easy to block them.  

If you remove the driveshaft connecting the two gearboxes, only the rear gearbox would be engaged. That's also fine. Less energy wasted, so that much more power goes to the rear wheels.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

It is up to you, there is just no point in spinning parts that are not doing anything :)  but then it is not a big deal either if you are just having fun doing doughnuts. I assume you are using drift tires? Can't always tell from the pictures since they make these realistic threaded drift tires these days!

Ok thanks, drift tires are currently in the mail lol

18 minutes ago, Juggular said:

It does not matter either way.  

If you remove the dog bones only, then the front gears would just rotate doing nothing.  That's fine.  Just take out the drive cups from the gearbox and store them safely. If you haven't already, they will pop out.  Also you can tape up the holes with masking tape or something. No need to let dust in when it's so easy to block them.  

If you remove the driveshaft connecting the two gearboxes, only the rear gearbox would be engaged. That's also fine. Less energy wasted, so that much more power goes to the rear wheels.   

Thanks, I already took out the cups, but I’ll probably just keep everything else in so I can get quickly swap to 4wd if needed.

I would say definitely remove the propshaft, I can't remember on the TT02 if the front diff is supported when the drive cups are removed, on some Tamiyas the diff bearings rotate on the drive cups so if you remove them the diff isn't secured.  This causes the teeth to not mesh properly and could damage them.  Even if this isn't the case, there's no point spinning the wobbly plastic prop and front gear if you don't have to.

As for making it do more than just uncontrollable donuts - there is a dedicated TT02 RWD conversion out there which changes the motor position for better balance and gives you loads more steering lock up front so you can correct those big sideways drifts.  You'll want to get as much lock as you can.  You might be able to modify stock parts - you're no longer limited by the front driveshafts.  There are probably aftermarket parts out there somewhere but the RC drift world is a strange one and parts can be hard to find.

Once you have drift tyres fitted, you will definitely need a gyro for doing any more than spinning around in circles.  You don't have to spend a fortune, I got one from Asiatees for about $15 a couple of years ago.

If you want to drift properly in RWD, there are much cheaper ways to do it than modifying a TT02 ;)

6 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I would say definitely remove the propshaft, I can't remember on the TT02 if the front diff is supported when the drive cups are removed, on some Tamiyas the diff bearings rotate on the drive cups so if you remove them the diff isn't secured.  This causes the teeth to not mesh properly and could damage them.  Even if this isn't the case, there's no point spinning the wobbly plastic prop and front gear if you don't have to.

As for making it do more than just uncontrollable donuts - there is a dedicated TT02 RWD conversion out there which changes the motor position for better balance and gives you loads more steering lock up front so you can correct those big sideways drifts.  You'll want to get as much lock as you can.  You might be able to modify stock parts - you're no longer limited by the front driveshafts.  There are probably aftermarket parts out there somewhere but the RC drift world is a strange one and parts can be hard to find.

Once you have drift tyres fitted, you will definitely need a gyro for doing any more than spinning around in circles.  You don't have to spend a fortune, I got one from Asiatees for about $15 a couple of years ago.

If you want to drift properly in RWD, there are much cheaper ways to do it than modifying a TT02 ;)

Yep the diffs are supported by bearings on the TT-02.

The front uprights and the front arms can be very easily trimmed with a utility knife then sanded nicely to remove the steering stops.

Mad Ax I definitely agree that there are cheaper ways than to modify a TT-02 :D The TT-02 almost always ends up costing more than a much higher end car by the time you have sorted it out. However... let's face it... Buying hopups, tinkering and experimenting is so much fun!

• Like 1

I'm doing this same conversion on a TA-02 so thanks for the useful tips everyone - I removed the propshaft and all contents of front gearbox/cups etc, haven't tried driving it yet but seeing as it's going to be a Beetle rear heavy would certainly be more authentic!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tadcooke said:

I'm doing this same conversion on a TA-02 so thanks for the useful tips everyone - I removed the propshaft and all contents of front gearbox/cups etc, haven't tried driving it yet but seeing as it's going to be a Beetle rear heavy would certainly be more authentic!

Let us know how it goes! I really like these RWD conversions! I can’t wrap my head around an AWD scale model of a RWD car like a beetle or Porsche or BMW etc.

For what it’s worth I found the following helped although I change and experiment often:

- softer springs rear compared to front

- max allowable droop rear, minimal droop front

- ball differential helped

- I use 0deg front toe but that is more personal than a RWD thing I think

- mild 1deg camber all around

Again these might be personal and I am by no means a pro 😂

15 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Let us know how it goes! I really like these RWD conversions! I can’t wrap my head around an AWD scale model of a RWD car like a beetle or Porsche or BMW etc.

For what it’s worth I found the following helped although I change and experiment often:

- softer springs rear compared to front

- max allowable droop rear, minimal droop front

- ball differential helped

- I use 0deg front toe but that is more personal than a RWD thing I think

- mild 1deg camber all around

Again these might be personal and I am by no means a pro 😂

I'll do a post when I get to it (got to finish the top force first!) but agree about the realism. To be honest I saw the 58650 Beetle and wanted one but couldn't justify it when I had a perfectly good chassis not being used... I'll make a note of your suggestions!

• Like 1