toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

Ooh, a mystery!  

4WD, but I didn't spot a motor sticking out. Longitudinally mounted (like Avante)?  

Where are the front springs?  Are they laid low (like Avante)?  

Hmm... maybe it is a simplified version? (a plastic tub chassis, lower A-arms, etc)  

I'm interested only if it costs 40-50% less.  

• Haha 2

I thought T was for Touring.  TC01 heavily modified for off-road perhaps?  The little fenders are a weird choice.

It's definitely not a serious racing buggy.

• Like 3

Looks low-slung, wheel fenders and possibly using inboard shocks?  Liking where this is going so far..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

Coming 25th June

Sorry didn't see this conversation and started one the same🙄 it's about time tamiya give us something (hopefully) new off road👍

Interesting. Looks a bit quirky without being a complete novelty item. Can't wait to see more of it.

3 hours ago, Blista said:

I thought T was for Touring.  TC01 heavily modified for off-road perhaps?  The little fenders are a weird choice.

It's definitely not a serious racing buggy.

Two wheel drive Dirt maybe? 

Next inline in the DT range, Dirt -Two wheel drive? , which #4 would tie in. 

Similar lines to the Schumacher Top Cat?

(The reports are saying 4wd right enough...)

• Like 1

Definitly looks to be tamiya's take on a more modern 1/10 buggy, since it looks like nothing else on the outside lol. I'd bet that it's 4wd just from the name, but since the front is so low profile I could see mid-motor 2wd as well. Looks to be pushrod front suspension since I can't see any shock towers or normally mounted shocks. I also have a hunch that it will be belt drive since nobody else is doing that for the most part nowadays. I'm honestly not really feeling this release since my bigwig is perfect for me as a 4wd buggy, and it will most likely be nowhere near a modern 4wd buggy in terms of performance, but it will still probably be an interesting little buggy anyways. 

There isn't much to see yet, but that which can be seen looks promising I think. Adjustable upper arms for example, which suggests that it is a step above the TT-02B. There is also the name, which appears to be in line with the TA, TB and TC series, suggesting similar quality and design influences. Are we at last seeing a club level four wheel drive buggy that is a worthy successor to the DB-01? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to hope!

• Like 2

I don't really do buggies.

I have a Hornet (and a Hot Shot and several ORVs in need of restoration).

Main running is in the back garden so a buggy would suit!

I'd always liked the look of the Avante (the build looks really fun) but been put off by the price and the tales of fragility.

This is interesting...

Then again, I said that about the TC-01 and still haven't bought one. I blame the bodywork.

Wonder what TD could stand for. Or is it a trick and it's really a DT-4? (DT-04)...

3 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Wonder what TD could stand for. Or is it a trick and it's really a DT-4? (DT-04)...

As @TurnipJF had mentioned, TA, TB, TC, and now TD...

4 most likely stands for 4WD.

But I think Tamiya should have started with 01. TD-01

3 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

As @TurnipJF had mentioned, TA, TB, TC, and now TD...

4 most likely stands for 4WD.

But I think Tamiya should have started with 01. TD-01

what if.....DT are 2wd, so they reversed it for 4wd?

Looking again at the video I think it's 2wd. There's a quick shot of the front end where you can just see the lack of drive shafts. 

I don't mind 2wd or 4wd. But I would like:

- Better plastics (like on the M-07, TC-01 etc...)

- Lipo compatible.

- More gearing options than just 2x pinions.

- Maybe A slipper clutch.

OR maybe it's a DT-04 Holiday Buggy. (You heard it here first)

• Like 4

Avante 3.0 :P I'll move my "never seen thunder dragon" fund to this new kit. Cant wait !!!

This will be Fighter buggy and/or Thunder dragon quality and thought process WITH Top force pricing. TD could stand for Total Disaster for anyone hoping for glory days of Hotshot,terrascorcher,bigwig.

Really hope this is 4WD and better than a TT02B.

Would love to be able to race a modern Tamiya again in 1/10th 4wd offroad even if its not the most competitive thing on track... 

• Like 1