toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

I like it.  It's quirky, yet capable.  I'm thinking a Super Avante mini 4wd livery with pink Avante Black special wheels would look ace..   Hope I can score one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, berman said:

If they chucked the Nissan Titan or a similar style body on it with some scaleish wheels and tyres, I could be interested...

The chassis has potential to be a nice new 4wd offroader, but this IMO isn't a good start. 🙂

That's what I've been thinking about.  Put a truck body on it.  283mm wheelbase is a bit long and I'm not sure how it'll look without upright front suspension but maaaaybe...

• Like 1

Looks like a good new chassis.   Hopefully the platform can be used for rally cars and scale trucks as well.   It needs to be tougher than the DF-03.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cynan said:

Gonna have to buy it though because honestly if no one buys it they may never make any more :blink:

This is sort of my logic as well, so it's lucky that I kinda like it :) 

So now it's a nail biting wait for the box art to be revealed as I hope against hope that they'll revert to the 80's style for this one. A horrible static photo on a tiny box would be expected, but a let down nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blista said:

That's what I've been thinking about.  Put a truck body on it.  283mm wheelbase is a bit long and I'm not sure how it'll look without upright front suspension but maaaaybe...

Yeah truck body is an option definitely.

The body reminds me of a bed with a bunch of pillows on top, with a blanket thrown over the top to hide them, and a dude sticking his head out...

I just can't unsee it!

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, berman said:

Yeah truck body is an option definitely.

The body reminds me of a bed with a bunch of pillows on top, with a blanket thrown over the top to hide them, and a dude sticking his head out...

I just can't unsee it!

It's such a weird body to come out with.  It's one big blob they've tacked little details onto then painted the most gaudy color combination.  Why is there that little bit added on behind the driver bubble?  I really don't understand what they've done.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see the actual chassis but I expect this will be priced too high for my liking anyway.

"features a longitudinal battery pack position in the center and a midship transverse motor for optimum balance and improved performance". Taken from utb desc.

Okay so this setting similar to df-03, im interested. I might chuck the avante mk2 body to this one if i bought it.

Take the top off and show us the chassis already!

Yeah because it's the first new off roader from tamiya for a long time I'm in for one👍 looks wise is not bad at all just a bit odd looking but then that's what I probably thought when the original avante hit the world and now it's my no1 best looking rc car of all time! Please tamiya put it in a white box🙏

• Like 5

Urm.......

Can't say I'm overwhelmed. Out of the 3 Avantes, looks like the original is the more capable off roader, that inboard suspension looks wayyy to bouncy , and no where near enough travel...

"I wish they would make quirky looking stuff like the good old days"

"What's that all about then? Too quirky. I don't like it!!!"

I think it looks pretty awesome. I'm just not sure the should have called it an Avante. Especially not with those wheels.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Looks like the material used for suspension etc is the good stuff. 

If you look at the front lower arm, looks like it has provisions for damper attachment? The colours/styling , don't think they've nailed it. But I'm still pretty excited. 

thats a relief, i dont particularly want a vintage bath tub race car body on a buggy. i can easily pass on that.

I spy front CVD drive shafts and carbon/glass fibre reinforced arms.

EDF94A1A-4EA7-47BB-9198-60364AF0AC82.png

• Like 4

I like the look of it and will hopefully have one omce they're available. Probably not a race buggy, but great for the backyard track and if its better than the TT02B then i'm all in!

• Like 4

The body has potential, I just hope it’s not pre painted only. I’d like to see a black special version of this.

i don’t like the wheels, I’ve never been a fan of this style but that’s easily rectified.

It’s good to see that Paranoid Perry is back in employment at his ripe old age. It just proves that he should never have been so paranoid all along.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The more i look at the the higher end it appears.

Captured Hingepins, what look like hex screws (hard to tell), dust covers on the ball studs, the outdrives look like metal...

this has potential tbh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morinstal said:

I dont get it, Avante name should be sacred, like a good movie there is no need for sequel or what, but they just throw it to any buggy they made. Hopefully this one performs better despite its look

I agree re: the Avante name, this is a disapointment.

If they wanted an updated shaft off-roader why not evolve the DB02 which is a pretty good chassis?

The inboard front shock is an automatic fail for anything competitive (edit: off-road), I don't see this having a meaningful following.

• Like 1

So on first look I thought it was horrible - The sides of the body look about 1/2" too long, the rear wing is a good 1-1.5" too low, the nose looks droopy and the colours are horrific.

The more I look at it though, I think I get it a bit more, and it's growing on me.

The body sides - that's an easy fix with a pair of scissors. The wing - it says there's a high and low position (I really hope they are showing it in the low one!) so that's taken care of. The nose - again, could be trimmed a bit shorter probably. Colour - I'm trying to picture it in a Avante Black Special kinda scheme and think that could make the world of difference - especially by painting in those viewing windows.

I think Tamiya are super proud and excited by this release - they seem to be going to a lot of effort with it (although the video is not of the highest quality) and are clearly pretty proud of the front suspension by sticking a big clear window in the middle of the body for it, which hopefully means it performs really well. It seems like this might be a showcase model, which will get a series of different bodies and so on (DF-03 and Thunder Dragon etc) so a better body style should be around soon. The price will be the decider for me - and how many hop ups they make (and the real decider - will it come unpainted!!!)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jonboy1 said:

...are clearly pretty proud of the front suspension by sticking a big clear window in the middle of the body for it, which hopefully means it performs really well...

The problem there is that one damper will always be less than two dampers.

Physics tells us it's going to be sub-optimal.

I wish they'd tweaked the nose instead of those two 'caps' over the screws,  but quite like the body otherwise

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

The problem there is that one damper will always be less than two dampers.

Physics tells us it's going to be sub-optimal.

one damper?

TC-01 has 2 dampers - can't see why this would have one in the same size envelope

• Like 2

I think the body looks a lot better on the move than standing still.

Unlike the original Avante that looks amazing just sitting on the shelf.

Showing the Avante, Mkii and Super Avante going round the corner just makes me want an original Avante.

I've always held off due to cost and 'I don't do buggies'. <sigh>

I can't help thinking with the long nose on the body and curved (not bottle-necked like the original Avante) sides, this would look better with an updated Frog livery if you were going to recycle any of them.

• Like 1