toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

I don't think the colour scheme does it any favours, but I like it :D Maybe in big wig colours, or red and silver etc

• Like 1

Very DB01/DB02ish with what looks like fiber reinforced plastics and black CVAs. A 'racing' chassis according to the blurb. Interesting. 

• Like 1

Looks like it's got some potential, modern plastics at least, geometry doesn't look too bad. 

Fingers crossed that oil filled gear diffs and a slipper clutch are potential hopups

• Like 2

Hopefully it won't be like the DB02 and immediately melt key points the drivetrain should you bring it within 5 miles of a racetrack in stock form. 

• Like 3

It's odd looking, that's for sure, but kudos to Tamiya for trying something new.

My only gripes are the ball diffs and apparent lack of a slipper clutch. As BuggyGuy just stated, I sure hope gear diffs and a slipper are available as hopups. That's almost a necessity if the target for this release is the backyard basher, as the video implies.

Kind of worried about the price too, but we'll see...

According to Tamiya Legends a slipper clutch is a hop up, as is a Titanium screw set.

• Like 2

I don’t usually like buggies but this is something different. It has a little bit of an Ariel Atom look about it? Any idea about price??

Goofy!

It's a definite hit in my book. Solid mid-level buggy with plenty of quirks, really strange body, pure Tamiya. This is the buggy we've all been asking for, guys. 

Substitute Camel yellow for the neon, though, and use some different wheels.

Stoked for this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I don’t usually like buggies but this is something different. It has a little bit of an Ariel Atom look about it? Any idea about price??

Yes! in terms of porportions it is probably close of that...

I love it. This is classic Tamiya, quirky, innovative and it's even got a driver figure.. Reminds me of the glory days of the 80's. I'm pretty sure it's going to support gear diffs as I would assume it uses TB04 differentials. The kit doesn't include the slipper hop-up so supplying ball differentials is wise as it will provide some slip in the drive train when landing jumps. 

• Like 1

Cycle fenders on an off-road buggy. Well, it's different, at least... I don't hate it, but I'm not sure if I like it either.

My only observation from the running video is that it's way over-sprung, especially in the front. I get the feeling they had to stiffen it way up to keep it from bottoming out. I'll be interested to see the chassis, and even more interested to look through the manual; this is what ultimately tells me if I'm interested in a kit or not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cynan said:

According to Tamiya Legends a slipper clutch is a hop up, as is a Titanium screw set.

Great, slipper clutch and ball diffs for the win.

the  ball/gear diff for 1/10th argument is the RC version of Tubeless tyres for road bikes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cynan said:

Honest question. How would he know this?  I’m genuinely curious

3 minutes ago, undertheradar said:

He mentioned he had been sent a list showing all the hops ups and parts that would be available. So someone who watches the channel or knows him that works close to Tamiya, or even within Tamiya ? leaked it I'm guessing.

Model Shops might have some info. already and be under NDA for example.

22 minutes ago, undertheradar said:

wikileaks obvs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, qatmix said:

I love it. This is classic Tamiya, quirky, innovative and it's even got a driver figure.. Reminds me of the glory days of the 80's. I'm pretty sure it's going to support gear diffs as I would assume it uses TB04 differentials. The kit doesn't include the slipper hop-up so supplying ball differentials is wise as it will provide some slip in the drive train when landing jumps. 

+1 I think this is a promising release. Some real thought went into its design of chassis and body.. vs the old abs plastic tub with rising fire falcon phoenix fighter from Mars.  

I can even see this creating a spec racing class of its own 😉

• Like 1

I gotta say, paint job is much uglier than I had expected.  BUT, quirky, overly complex, really just what I expected.  If price is decent they will have a preorder from me.

I’m very much enjoying all the Facebook comments that are along the line of 

“Vomits! Cheap plastic toy and why can’t it have metal gears to handle brushless power”…

So much time to comment, so little common sense….

• Like 2

I'm actually quite pleased by this. I'm glad it's not another generic looking 4wd front cab'd buggy, and I really like that they've included the driver figure. I also noticed little touches like body clips holding the rear wing on and what looks like hex hardware. I'll reserve complete judgment until the chassis is revealed. But, it does look like it has nice quality plastics like the M-07, TC-01 etc so that promising. I read that a lot of people are unhappy that they've used the Avante name, but that doesn't bother me in the least. These buggies should be driven hard and not sat stored in boxes, or gathering dust on shelves... I just really hope that the body comes clear as I really don't like the box art on this one.

So, at the moment it's a thumbs up from me. This is just the sort of buggy that Tamiya should be producing. 

• Like 2

Just now, toyolien said:

I'm actually quite pleased by this. I'm glad it's not another generic looking 4wd front cab'd buggy, and I really like that they've included the driver figure. I also noticed little touches like body clips holding the rear wing on and what looks like hex hardware. I'll reserve complete judgment until the chassis is revealed. But, it does look like it has nice quality plastics like the M-07, TC-01 etc so that promising. I read that a lot of people are unhappy that they've used the Avante name, but that doesn't bother me in the least. These buggies should be driven hard and not sat stored in boxes, or gathering dust on shelves... I just really hope that the body comes clear as I really don't like the box art on this one.

So, at the moment it's a thumbs up from me. This is just the sort of buggy that Tamiya should be producing. 

This.

8 minutes ago, matisse said:

I’m very much enjoying all the Facebook comments that are along the line of 

“Vomits! Cheap plastic toy and why can’t it have metal gears to handle brushless power”…

So much time to comment, so little common sense….

One of the main reasons I avoid Facebook to be honest. I'm amazed at all the youtube comments saying:

"It's a horrible cheap toy. Those front shocks will never work. The colour is horrendous. Why don't Tamiya make some new wheels. But I'll probably end up getting one..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, undertheradar said:

Chassis is named TD-4, which follows TA, TB, TC.  This makes it part of Tamiyas blue crack master plan… eg pay $300 for a chassi and spend $300 on hops ups 👿  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's certainly different from any other 4wd buggy, that's for sure. I don't plan on adding one to my collection, but it's great to see that they actually tried with this kit and seem to be taking a more progressive approach with their new chassis. Looks like it will be a great in-between something like a TT-02B and a full race kit like a B74.2 or a Cat L1 EVO.