toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

1 minute ago, Saito2 said:

So, will Tamiya go for the full Avante experience? Will this car be a beautiful but over-engineered tour de force that "fails" and will a "Super Egress" follow it, addressing some of its issues? :P

You can count on it.

• Like 1

For me, this is the successor of DF03, DF04 is a better code and without avante name slapped on it. Theres nothing new about this DF04, the longitudinal battery and transverse motor taken from DF03, while IFS front shocks is nothing new. Hopefully Tamiya succeeds to improve DF03 flaws.

I dont want much, just a offroad bashable and durable buggy while using todays technology ( lipo and brushless).

Regarding to body, atleast if ur gonna call it super avante, make some resemblence to previous avante. I dont find that in this one. This is the only tamiya rc i know that have different body compared to the mini 4wd counterparts with the same name.

this is of course intersting and has possible potential for me. However i will reserve judgement until we get the price. Its not a re re egress commanding top dollar, which i still say is way over priced. as well as Avante and bruiser and any other 500/600 or 900 dollar rere. if it comes im at a fair price and is accesible id guess id pick one up. 

Livestream about the buggy is just over half an hour away.  It'll be in Japanese but at least you'll see the chassis and hopefully hop-ups etc.

• Like 1

Ok, so I've had the video on in the background while doing other stuff and it's all been about the Avante history but they haven't done anything on the new one.  Have to wait for the next livestream in about 5 hours to hear about the TD4 I guess.

edit: I spoke too soon. 55 minutes into the hour presentation they finally pulled it out.

Edited by Blista

56 minutes to get to the Super Avante!

Edit: and not even a glimpse with the body off... 😢

Minutes away now.  Here's the link for anyone who wants it:

• Like 4

It speaks volumes about Tamiya that they chose  the Swedish flag and glaring yellow for the wheels. The Top Force Evo wheels and a charcoal grey + orange colour scheme for the body would’ve been a lot less eye-gougingly terrible. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

It speaks volumes about Tamiya that they chose  the Swedish flag and glaring yellow for the wheels.

I don't get it. What has Sweden got to do with anything? It could just be blue and yellow because they like blue and yellow.

You have to take apart the steering in two places to get the battery?  So many turns and arms to reach the servo.  Not a fan of that at all.

I also hope the motor gets some decent cooling while buried in there underneath everything.

Hex fasteners, reinforced plastics are nice.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

I don't get it. What has Sweden got to do with anything? It could just be blue and yellow because they like blue and yellow.

It most likely is blue and yellow because they like blue and yellow. That I get the flag association is probably because Norway is sat right next to Sweden so I’ve seen it a bunch and is the first thing I think of when I see blue and yellow together. 

• Like 1

@Robert5000He he! Yeah, I know where Sweden and Norway are. It's just you said that it speaks volumes, so I thought there was some story or link there that I wasn't getting.

The front of the car has some disappointing compromises.

* Multiple links and bell-cranks for the steering, so it will be sloppy.

* Too much flexibility in the battery retainer/ shock mount / steering bellcrank mount.

* Narrow front wishbones allow more slop and make them prone to breakage.

I didn't think it was possible to make a worse steering linkage than the TA-01, but the Super Avante seems to have found a way.

Not a fan of how you get to the battery… I guess if I got one I’d fit one battery and leave it in.

The motor looks like it’ll get hot buried in there too.

Nice to see modern screw fixings and some aluminium parts though - I wonder if a lot more will be available via hop ups.

29 minutes ago, Blista said:

You have to take apart the steering in two places to get the battery?  So many turns and arms to reach the servo.  Not a fan of that at all.

I also hope the motor gets some decent cooling while buried in there underneath everything.

Hex fasteners, reinforced plastics are nice.

Screenshot_20210626-0922142.png

Clips on the steering arms to get to the battery?

And screws into the chassis? Isn't that the main gripe on the XV-01? Do you do the same on the TC-01?

It seems so tight that you won't be charging in situ without unscrewing the steering to get to the connector. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Clips on the steering arms to get to the battery?

And screws into the chassis? Isn't that the main gripe on the XV-01?

That makes the XV01 look like a dream.  :lol:

I just posted this in the other TD4 thread.  Two screws and two body clips to move the suspension and steering just to get the battery out.  I'd rather an underside battery like the XV01 and DF03.  I hope it works better in practice than it looks.

CPEpy3l.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Given the different mounting points on the arms, front and rear, I wonder if there might be a future release with outboard suspension and a revised steering arrangement? It might make battery access slightly easier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Given the different mounting points on the arms, front and rear, I wonder if there might be a future release with outboard suspension and a revised steering arrangement? It might make battery access slightly easier.

The battery removal is so awkward they did it off camera.  Even then they couldn't just pop the battery out because it seemed like the driver gets in the way.

Conventional dampers and steering would be first on my wishlist.

39 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

It most likely is blue and yellow because they like blue and yellow. That I get the flag association is probably because Norway is sat right next to Sweden so I’ve seen it a bunch and is the first thing I think of when I see blue and yellow together. 

The original Avante was blue and yellow.

22 minutes ago, Blista said:

That makes the XV01 look like a dream.  :lol:

I just posted this in the other TD4 thread.  Two screws and two body clips to move the suspension and steering just to get the battery out.  I'd rather an underside battery like the XV01 and DF03.  I hope it works better in practice than it looks.

CPEpy3l.png

Zooming in on the driver, it looks as though it will provide little in the way of strength to the chassis. Remove that and the side braces (which appear to be there to mount the driver at first look) and I reckon battery access will be easier 

Yes, it seems to me at a glance that by trying to be tricky with the front suspension they've compromised the steering and battery access, and the front suspension.

• Haha 2

The front end reminds me the TTech Predator X11.

But doesn't see the motor