toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

My plan would be to leave a good sized battery in with a suitable extension cable to make connection to a charger more accessible.

24 minutes ago, Howards said:

Is the thinking here that the battery should be LiFe and it just lives in the car?

That is the likely logic behind this. LiFe batteries require little to no maintenance and have almost no issues with fire etc.  You could install one semi-permanently in a car and never worry about it.

Someone mentioned “Beta vs VHS” earlier. It should be noted that the Japanese stuck with Beta while the rest of the world went VHS. The same was true with MiniDisc and probably a million other things. I’m sure they are looking at us wondering why we would use LiPo…

• Like 1

Yeah, there's no way I'd ever charge a LiPo in the car. I'd be happy to use LiFe if I could get my hands on one of the larger 2200mAh Tamiya batteries, and just use a higher kv motor to compensate for the lower voltage.

I think Tamiya ignore LiPo batteries as they are to complex to handle. I know that the chargers are better and easier to handle but I think Tamiya is a kind of family company which produces products not only for adults but also for children. And for example the kids  of my brother which already have get some Tamiya RC cars from me won't ever discharge a LiPo battery if they don't have use it or load it for storage. And so these batteries could get dangerous in kids hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

Yeah, there's no way I'd ever charge a LiPo in the car. I'd be happy to use LiFe if I could get my hands on one of the larger 2200mAh Tamiya batteries, and just use a higher kv motor to compensate for the lower voltage.

Yeah, I can’t justify the cost of LiFe when LiPo is a third of the price.  I charge my batteries outside on the driveway so I have minimal risk in that respect. 

• Like 1

Would have been interesting if:

it ships with a 2k-4k mah LiFe battery 

it has a port on the chassis that connects directly to a charger  so it can be charged without even having to remove the shell or a snap pin. 

8 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

I think Tamiya ignore LiPo batteries as they are to complex to handle. I know that the chargers are better and easier to handle but I think Tamiya is a kind of family company which produces products not only for adults but also for children. And for example the kids  of my brother which already have get some Tamiya RC cars from me won't ever discharge a LiPo battery if they don't have use it or load it for storage. And so these batteries could get dangerous in kids hands.

LOL!  I wouldn’t put it past the Japanese to actively avoid LiPo altogether bc if the risk of fire.  I have to think the average Japanese person lives in an apartment building or a wooden and shoji paper house. Fire would be a huge disaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

LOL!  I wouldn’t put it past the Japanese to actively avoid LiPo altogether bc if the risk of fire.  I have to think the average Japanese person lives in an apartment building or a wooden and shoji paper house. Fire would be a huge disaster.

Kyosho are Japanese too, and they have allowance for lipo , their race cars are purely set up for shortys, although their re release all have Nimh in the pics (except the Ultima?) 

I just don't get why Tamiya won't cater for lipo (although the tble04s has lipo cut off?) , but even running other chemistry, it'll be a nightmare to change the battery in the TD4, plus having to disconnect major components can't be a good thing.

Would I buy one though....if the price is right 🙄😁

• Like 5

I think the newer stuff does cater for Lipo? M07, TC01, and CC02 have all been fine (only modern kits I've handled though). 

I don't remember it being an issue in my TT02 either 

2 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

I think the newer stuff does cater for Lipo? M07, TC01, and CC02 have all been fine (only modern kits I've handled though). 

I don't remember it being an issue in my TT02 either 

I'm not sure of the On-road stuff, (seemingly the Tamiya On Road race cars are quite good?) I should have added - Off road cars .

Don't get me wrong, I run lipos in all mine, but the stock kits came with the tble02s, which isn't lipo friendly in stock form (yes you can modify them etc etc, although I just sold them NIP and got a hobbywing...). 

Some of the cars I've had to modify to run lipos, no doubt you can cut a hole in the bottom of the TD4, and 3d print a door, but Tamiya just seem to be against lipos 🤷‍♂️

Anyone here have an F1 car that they race?  99% of them require removal of at least 2 screws to get the battery in.  The only one I have seen that is difference is the serpent which goes in from the bottom.  For race day, I put my LiPo battery in, charge it through out the day and end of the day, remove it.  

Same will go for this.  You run it, charge it and at the end of the day, remove the screws to store battery.  

16 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

For race day, I put my LiPo battery in, charge it through out the day and end of the day, remove it.  

You put the whole car in a charge bag to charge it? (Even though charging a lipo in a car, is still classed as a big no no) 

You get thrown out of clubs for not charging in a charge bag (uk brca rules anyway)

"Charging batteries in LiPo sacks is strongly recommended, at any BRCA event or affiliated clubs it is MANDATORY to use a lipo sack."

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Raman36 said:

For race day, I put my LiPo battery in, charge it through out the day and end of the day, remove it.  

Same will go for this.  You run it, charge it and at the end of the day, remove the screws to store battery.  

You only forget 1 thing most of the people that want to buy it do not race there cars, and only run them for fun, always run 2 packs true my cars when I take them out.

And this is not an high spec race car.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

“Top Dollar” indeed

OO1g75w.png

Isn’t the msrp listed on tamiyausa.com usually about double of what a kit actually goes for? If the same logic applies here I quite like the price. 

• Like 1

The body is hideous but Im hopeful!!!! Its a new chassis, the front arms look to be of modern materials and the front arms have mounting provisions for real shocks. Hopefully this is an actual new chassi with new ball and gear differential options, slipper clutch etc. Why on earth did they use the old top force wheels??????

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Isn’t the msrp listed on tamiyausa.com usually about double of what a kit actually goes for? If the same logic applies here I quite like the price. 

Quick check between MSRP of Knight Hauler, Frog, and Top Force Evo vs listed price at Tower suggests listed sale price at Tower is about 70% of MSRP.  Calculates to a listed price on Tower in the $314 range.  If it plays out that way and discounts are able to be used, I'm in.

• Like 4

This looks very interesting and very good. I like the fenders. The colors look good too. The driver is a must and maybe add some lights? Getting the battery in and out is awkward. I will be getting one to run from time to time. 

9 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

With that MSRP, it'll street around $300. This will be a hit for Tamiya.

Yeah, I think that's a reasonable guess. I'm going with $319.

According to Mokei Kagaku some more hop ups have been confirmed: 

22028 TD4 Assembly Universal Shafts (2 Pcs.)
22029 TD4 Differential Nut and Screw Set
22030 TD4 Aluminum Servo Stay
22031 TD4 Slipper Clutch Set
51674 TD4 C-Parts (Uprights) (2 Pcs.)
51675 TD4 D-Parts (Suspension Arms) (2 Pcs.)

Does anyone know when we are likely to find out a price and release date? News seems to have gone a little quiet after the live video on Saturday. I was expecting all the info to be on shops website this morning... This is the first time I've really followed a new release so this might be how it usually happens.

44 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Does anyone know when we are likely to find out a price and release date? News seems to have gone a little quiet after the live video on Saturday. I was expecting all the info to be on shops website this morning... This is the first time I've really followed a new release so this might be how it usually happens.

£360 apparently, according to Model Build on Facebook.

(5) Model Build | Facebook

• Haha 3