toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

I haven't done any R/C for a year and I come back to this abomination ... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TenzoR said:

I haven't done any R/C for a year and I come back to this abomination ... 

If you think this in an abomination, id like your opinion on these 🤦🏻‍♂️

2a418cd974bf72ec75248b83688fea81.jpg

2bca857f20c14423d20fdb426422c81c.jpg

7ba9bc0eca7d885993789ebcde690223.jpg

108527a5a7d1c167752fd54ba8983f06.jpg

• Haha 3

Ur kidding right, if the TD4 using thunder dragon body and slapped the super avante name on it, it would be sell like hot cakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/3/2021 at 12:43 AM, Raman36 said:

If you think this in an abomination, id like your opinion on these 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's not the body that's an abomination but just randomly using the Avante moniker for something so trivial. They could have called it something different and I would be perfectly fine with it. With that said, it's more of a personal opinion as the Avante has been my childhood favourite R/C from Tamiya and I felt the name was tarnished. 

• Like 2

I might be missing something, but other than the Fire Dragon body being mounted too far forward (in my eyes), what is wrong with any of those 4 buggies pictured? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TenzoR said:

It's not the body that's an abomination but just randomly using the Avante moniker for something so trivial. They could have called it something different and I would be perfectly fine with it. With that said, it's more of a personal opinion as the Avante has been my childhood favourite R/C from Tamiya and I felt the name was tarnished. 

Let this new Avante be somebody else’s childhood favorite. I don’t see the point in your opinion. It is just hate speech. 

in my opinion the real Avante is really over priced and Tamiya is just making a fool of everyone buying it at that price. And so the rest of the classic reproductions

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Let this new Avante be somebody else’s childhood favorite. I don’t see the point in your opinion. It is just hate speech. 

in my opinion the real Avante is really over priced and Tamiya is just making a fool of everyone buying it at that price. And so the rest of the classic reproductions

I do apologize if you feel it's a form of a hate speech. 

54 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I might be missing something, but other than the Fire Dragon body being mounted too far forward (in my eyes), what is wrong with any of those 4 buggies pictured? 

Yeah me to? I don't really understand these bodies myself probably a lot to do with the Japanese cartoon culture called "anime" (I think that's what its called) but still look pretty good to me! but to call them an abomination is a bit strong? Each to their own I suppose! The super avante is again down to the individual I think it looks really good and it's design qwerks are quite cool although not very functional but still cool.....looking forward to it myself😁

44 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Its not Hate Speech its an opinion. I am keeping a very close eye on your replies.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TenzoR said:

Its isnt, its an opinion and you are entitled to it.

• Like 2

Are all new chassis this polarising of the community - or is this one in particular proving particularly special! :D

8 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Are all new chassis this polarising of the community - or is this one in particular proving particularly special! :D

I think it's because they chose to use the Avante name. Makes absolutely no difference to me though. Don't care what they call it as long as it drives well. But I guess the shelf queeners might see it as devaluing the first Avante... or the second one...or the third...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I think it's because they chose to use the Avante name. Makes absolutely no difference to me though. Don't care what they call it as long as it drives well. But I guess the shelf queeners might see it as devaluing the first Avante... or the second one...or the third...

Excited for the inevitable 5th re-release of the Avante in 2023, I hope it’s a ltd edition Candy Green version 

4 hours ago, TenzoR said:

Apologies not necessary, obviously I am wrong.

but still I am a little bit fed up with so many opinions on the new Avante. It’s like a windy sunny day, people complaining about the wind and not enjoying sun. Sorry for wrong accusations.

• Like 1

We are all entitled to our own opinions (freedom of speech) as long as it's not offensive!  personally I couldn't care what the super avante was called or how it performs I just love the fact it's an all new off road chassis and tamiya are still willing to put the effort and money into the rc world rather than tinkering with an existing chassis like schumacher do! Not that there is anything wrong with doing that because we get brilliant modern racing machines but now many rc manufacturers start with a clean sheet these days? 

• Like 2

At the end of the of the day (the sun goes down and we all go to bed), it is Tamiya's play set and they can call it what they like, it doesn't really  belong to the 'fans'. Of course, if nobody buys their products then the company fails then they got it wrong but I doubt this one model will bring them down.

I don't think it is a great looking buggy, at least not box-art. When the video 'dropped' (is that how the kids say it?) and you saw the original going round the corner on the track it made me want one, such a cool looking machine. Then I saw the price of a re-re. I think I'll stick to watching Matteo's video.

As said by @moffman , it is great to see some chassis development, something interesting with inboard front dampers and longitudinal battery. But then that battery and damper placement has meant compromises with the steering. Or has it? Time will tell.

It does seem a tad expensive for a kit that doesn't include the motor or ESC, especially given the price of the TC-01.

Is it for everyone? No, but it is great to see sixteen pages of conversation (and another slightly different thread). I'm really looking forward to seeing the manual.

• Like 3

I was a bit shocked at the lack of ESC and motor as it’s something they have always supplied. But then I got to thinking that this is the first new chassis in a while and these days a lot of people seem to put their own ESC and higher powered motor in anyway. So with a new, modern, chases, this is probably a good call. I’ll now be looking to fit a modern ESC and brushless system for the first time. Quite excited.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Cynan said:

I was a bit shocked at the lack of ESC and motor as it’s something they have always supplied. But then I got to thinking that this is the first new chassis in a while and these days a lot of people seem to put their own ESC and higher powered motor in anyway. So with a new, modern, chases, this is probably a good call. I’ll now be looking to fit a modern ESC and brushless system for the first time. Quite excited.

Yeah if that's true that's a bit of a bummer? But then again my motor and esc out of my topforce evo is still sitting in the box (probably use them in my monster beetle) because I used a brushed combo 12t combo from absima! 

I for one am glad it doesn't come with a silver can motor or non lipo cut off esc. I wouldn't use 'em anyway. I just can't get past having to remove the steering links and shock mount to get the battery out. Hopefully Tamiya will have an alternative method which they are yet to reveal...

• Like 2

I don't like the body (it looks bloated around the mid section). made worse by colour/stupid windows.

I don't like the wheels, particularly the colour.

I agree with the battery removal, but it's not the end of the world.

The only similarities I see with the Avante moniker, is a high cost and colour. This doesn't look 'over engineered' like the Avante was for its time.

I laughed when Tamiya bought out the Holiday Fugly 2010, people still bought it.. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not particularly big on buggies.

The chassis looks good, and it is something new from Tamiya. A new model, strong materials, performance orientated. And not another base model/rerelease/TT01/2.

I think a 3rd party or Tamiya will make a stand up shock tower for it.

Tamiya will bring another model out on this chassis to get more mileage... Hopefully a more desirable/less controversial one.

Will I buy a Super Avante? Still a 'heck no' 😂

• Like 1

Probably designed to appeal to young Japanese boys, not fat, balding 40-something men with too many toys.

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Sir Crashalot said:

Probably designed to appeal to young Japanese boys, not fat, balding 40-something men with too many toys.

I'm not that fat! 

<reaches for cake>

• Haha 1

At least replacement bodies will be dirt cheap.  Take a large empty bottle of Coca-Cola, slice it down the middle length-wise, chop the ends off then line the edge with Velcro to stick onto the chassis.

After looking around I still can't find another buggy I'm happy with so I might get a Super Avante simply by default.  I've been thinking of a PS48 anodized aluminium paint job to make it look like a 1950s experimental aircraft.

McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin_USAF_(Cropped).jp

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cynan said:

It does look as though space is a premium under that shell though. I think it’s the 04 esc on the livestream and with no fan, so something similar in size or smaller will be needed I think. 

3 hours ago, Sir Crashalot said:

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I'm not that fat! 

<reaches for cake>

I'll have you know I do NOT have too many toys!!! :angry:

• Haha 1