toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

On 8/8/2021 at 3:36 PM, toyolien said:

...looking at that top left hand pic i can only see 2 body clips and no screws. I hope that is all that is removed to get the battery out. ...wishing.

Better pic - 2 Screws in damper sub-frame. Unless the screws go into steel inserts,  the holes in the chassis sides should strip pretty quick!

screws.jpg

• Like 1

Those holes seem to go through the chassis, rather than threaded into the chassis. Possibly nut and bolt?

From BuggyGuy's pic in the other thread.

16 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

Those holes seem to go through the chassis, rather than threaded into the chassis. Possibly nut and bolt?

If they used a pressed-in steel thread insert as per the Dyna Storm, then it should be ok - the silvering of the screws' exposed thread suggests they're going into metal - either that or they practised removal so many times for that video that they've worn off the plating. :lol:

The recess on the backside of the hole looks like it could be access for either an insert or a Tamiya Wrench

Dyna-Storm insert

nut.png

Either way, it's a ridiculously complex operation for a simple, oft-repeated procedure  - Strange solution for a 'blank canvas' model , it's not like there's any chassis-size restrictions apart from those Tamiya imposed on themselves.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, matisse said:

8AD8A6DE-0DF0-410D-AEDF-F0B207E62C1D.jpeg

Finally some box art! Thank you Tamiya! And just like that...I went from being lukewarm (well, more cautious, I suppose) about the Super Avante to flat out wanting one one now.

• Like 5

The box art is a very welcome sight!  I hope Tamiya start going back to doing it regularly.  At least on the more significant models instead of every TT02 variant.

21 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Unless the screws go into steel inserts,  the holes in the chassis sides should strip pretty quick!

The chassis is glass reinforced plastic - it's closer to screwing in to metal than the cheese the vintage stuff was made from. Hence the screws are cross threads rather than self tapping. 

35 minutes ago, Howards said:

The chassis is glass reinforced plastic - it's closer to screwing in to metal than the cheese the vintage stuff was made from. Hence the screws are cross threads rather than self tapping.

Cross threads? do you mean machine screws?
They'll wreck a hole in plastic (glass reinforced or not) far quicker than a self tapper ever will.

Self tap threads bite into the plastic a lot deeper than machine screws but, for instances where regular removal is necessary, any screw into plastic is a stupid idea.

2 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Cross threads? do you mean machine screws?
They'll wreck a hole in plastic (glass reinforced or not) far quicker than a self tapper ever will.

Self tap threads bite into the plastic a lot deeper than machine screws but, for instances where regular removal is necessary, any screw into plastic is a stupid idea.

Yeah machine screws or thread cutting screws. And they'll be fine. All the D series buggies use them with the composite plastics - it's so tough it's unlikely you could a get a self tapping screw in it without rounding the head or snapping it off or cracking the plastic itself. A thread former is essential. It's consistency when making a thread is somewhere between aluminium and steel in my experience.

I agree a metal insert would be better...but not so much better that it would justify the added complexity and I don't think it's an issue of the magnitude it's being made out to be here. Should it be screws in to plastic there is previous; there are buggies with thumb screw retainers in composite plastic (e.g. TRF201/ DN01) and they seem to hold up fine in applications that need frequent removal. 

The difference with the implementation on the DN/TRF is the plastic parts are thumb-nuts (requiring no tools to tighten, so little chance of over-tightening), easily replaceable and, in a pinch could be substituted with an M3 nut
If the SA screws do go into plastic, and the threads strip, then the chassis tub would need replacing - a somewhat different process to swapping a couple of thumb-nuts

Interesting! Some of the mouldings look incredibly complex - even for Tamiya!

Didn't see any suspension blocks on any of the sprues or in the the bags, so looks like suspension hinge pins will be going straight into the chassis mouldings... Still keen to see the manual!

The mouldings are quite something indeed. A few parts are huge and intricated, it will be interesting to see how they go together. It sure does look like an enjoyable and engaging build!

And bravo Tamiya, A+ for that beautiful box art. I did not expect it and am more than pleasantly surprised.

Can’t unhear how he says Avante….

anyway…zoomed in on the manual, it’s a bit blurry but at first glance the roll cage attaches to the Side “doors” and secures them. So possible that a battery access hatch might be a hop-up at later date, also possible that the roll cage might not be needed. 

A4DFF4AE-DBC3-4AC2-BC50-398B86A94656.md.

the arms look as though they show pillow ball ends, but no obvious sign of extra mounts, looks like they attach to the chassis/bumper. 
C9063A7B-7CEB-494D-889B-6A84481F160E.md.

but it’s hard to tell, really need to get a look at the pdf version!!

also, love how the spiked tyres were not off-road tyres to him 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, matisse said:

And chassis, and Tamiya 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rich_f said:
8 hours ago, matisse said:

And chassis, and Tamiya 😂

Out of sheer curiosity, what's odd with how he pronounces, Avante, chassis and Tamiya?

33 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Out of sheer curiosity, what's odd with how he pronounces, Avante, chassis and Tamiya?

It was rash of me to type that, because it’s an unusual pronunciation to me doesn’t make it wrong or bad in anyway.  I should know better.

10 minutes ago, matisse said:

It was rash of me to type that, because it’s an unusual pronunciation to me doesn’t make it wrong or bad in anyway.  I should know better.

Easy to forget people pronounce things so differently.

He says Av aunt ay. I pronounce it A van tay. And I know some people say ave aunt with no e pronounced.

Same with Tamiya. I say it Tammy-a and some people are more like Tah mi ya.

Stuff like Nissan. Some say Niss anne and some say neece uhn

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, matisse said:

No, no, I wasn't complaining or calling you out. I don't feel you've done anything wrong. I was honest when I started my question by saying "out of sheer curiosity". I wanted to understand/hear how others pronounce it out of personal interest. I meant no offence. 

12 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

He says Av aunt ay. I pronounce it A van tay. And I know some people say ave aunt with no e pronounced.

Same with Tamiya. I say it Tammy-a and some people are more like Tah mi ya.

Cool. Thanks for the examples.

• Like 1