toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

17 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

You need a low profile otherwise!?! 

Low profile and off road, don't normally go well together.

Should be fine - quite a few full spec competition 4WD buggies use them and they do fine (E.G Xray XB4)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

If the battery could be relocated - the servo would probably be better going under the front shocks to keep it lower and more central (probably wouldn't need a low profile servo then either)

Nothing wrong with an LP servo as long as the torque is good enough, a lot of the time it’s just the case that’s smaller. 

as for moving the servo, that would mean a hefty redesign on the steering it seems, I’d be inclined to see how it handles first

11 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

I was imagining the servo would be mounted like this if it were possible, or be rotated another 90 Deg clockwise from this and use the current bellcrank (forgive the terrible pic - best I could do on me mobile!)

Untitled1_20210815233104.png.2bcd34e1258f8b3050207d93316c1960.png

Mebbe, you lose some weight tuning with being able to move a shorty up the chassis perhaps, and of course by laterally mounting the battery we alter the whole chassis design that the suspension system was designed around…I’ll see how it handles first before such a radical change

It appears Tamiya USA is doing a step-by-step build on their Instagram stories. @tamiyausa

They are on Step 1. So you haven't missed much if you weren't aware. 

• Like 1

I just ordered one on Tower Hobbies. Hope that steering setup is tight. It looks cool though. I love the look. Plus it's 2021. 

Cory

On 6/28/2021 at 9:16 PM, Juggular said:

hmmm... 

I applaud that Tamiya tried inboard suspension.  It's like Frog's rear only it's for the front.  And it looks like a capable buggy.  

But as @Blista pointed out already, the battery access is the most complicated one I've seen so far.  I admit, bottom access isn't the cleanest.  But why make it this complicated?  It's like a jet ejection seat requiring a hacksaw.  Those screws you have to undo every time are load-bearing parts also.  

If somebody told me, "hey, this buggy is cool, but you have to undo the shell, unscrew 2 bolts and 2 pins to take off the gearbox every time you change the battery."  I'd have said, "no way. who'd build it like that?"  Apparently Tamaya did.  Inboard shocks look cool, but seriously?   If you lay shocks on top, that's a very good reason to have a battery door at the bottom.  It's not a boat. Why so afraid of the bottom door?  

7l6zQ50.png

Maybe have the battery door swing open to the side? 

Or put a hinge on the ESC tray and open that up instead?  

Or move the shocks to the sidewalls of the tub chassis (like the Frog)?  

This looks like 2 step forward and 1 step backward.  

I think I'll wait for Super Avante 2...(which might be like Hotshot 1 going to Hotshot 2. Sometimes reinventing the shocks wasn't necessary. So you go back to the conventional 4 shocks. Having said that, though, I did enjoy the 80's immensely when Tamiya was trying out this and that. Many good things come out of that.  I'm not critical of the inboard, I'm just not sure about the battery access.  I'll refrain from jumping in--which I hardly ever do.  I'll let other gents experience the shortcomings of this, and then decide whether to get it or not based on their opinions.)  

I'm just gonna leave the battery in mine and charge it in the car. I'll use a 6 cell 1800mah battery in mine. It probably won't see the outside though. Only in the basement.

Cory

11 hours ago, TRF201-Driver said:

For those who don't follow Tamiya USA on Instagram...

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 8.07.19 PM.png

Where is it live? Youtube or Instagram??

It's not looking good for an alternative way to remove the battery. I would have thought Tamiya would have shown it by now 😬

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

It's not looking good for an alternative way to remove the battery. I would have thought Tamiya would have shown it by now

If it's just the 2 screws going into metal inserts, I really don't see the issue. Great balance for around the same or less hassle than changing a battery in an SRB.

I think it looks like the best buggy Tamiya have released in a long, long time. It seems to jump really well too.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

If it's just the 2 screws going into metal inserts, I really don't see the issue. Great balance for around the same or less hassle than changing a battery in an SRB.

I think it looks like the best buggy Tamiya have released in a long, long time. It seems to jump really well too.

I'd accept that if it's into a metal insert👍 I have pre-ordered one just in case 😉

• Like 1

Looks like there's provision for a rear stabilizer bar, and the RR suspension mount will blatantly appear as an aluminium hopup at some point if the current adjustable blocks don't fit.

Looks like the TA06 gear diff might possibly be a goer from that video (though gear might be a little too wide maybe/outdrives to short to use with the stock dogbones...)

Not sure about everyone else - but watching him use that electric screw driver like that made me cringe inside

• Like 1

Yeah, the electric screwdriver made me clench. I'm sure he did it to save editing time. Also, I think getting the slipper and installing it during the build might be a good idea...assuming it's available for the main release. I mean, gluing on the adjustment cap? This car looks like an incredible piece of engineering. 

Huge lol at the amount of tools

having said that I will be tapping the threads on mine……

According to the TamiyaUSA Instagram Live, the screws for accessing the battery go into a captured steel nut. So, yay!

36 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

According to the TamiyaUSA Instagram Live, the screws for accessing the battery go into a captured steel nut. So, yay!

Yes, but he said you will either need to not use the driver figure, OR have to remove it to get the battery out.

• Like 1

After watching the live feed from TamiyaUSA, I'm afraid it's not for me... for now anyways. Gonna swap my pre-order to something else.

For anyone that didn't watch it, here's a few bullet points I picked up on:

• You can run stick packs or lipos hard packs quite easily.
  • Body comes clear.
  • Kit comes with bearings.
  • Shafts are dog bones, but hop up CVD's available.
  • Hexes are plastic.
  • Tamiya brushless motors fit, not sure about others. Similar to the M-07. Depending on where the solder tabs are located.
  • If you want to run the driver figure, that also has to be removed to get the battery out.
  • The kit comes with plastic pieces to allow the battery to run from side to side in the chassis. BUT the body isn't wide enough. So that option may be for a future body.
  • All the front suspension parts are going to be available in aluminium.
  • There is an option to mount a motor fan. Stock cooling to the motor is non existent.
  • There is a possibility that TA-06/M-07 gear diffs will fit, but that's not been confirmed yet.

Hope this helps you decide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yet to watch it but it the only thing that is a real surprise is the plastic hexs…always with the plastic hexs….sigh 

The cooling always looked to be lacking, so that’s going to be interesting to solve.

I enjoyed watching part 1 of Competitionx RC build.  I am not surprised of the plastic hexes.. no TA/TB series cars come with aluminium ones unless they are a pro.  I guess for same reason we are seeing dog bones..which again is annoying.  

Just watched the Instagram feed. So there are parts for mounting the battery sideways. He talks and shows the battery not fitting with the current body. However that battery is a full length LiPo. So a shorty LiPo will definitely fit sideways! 😉

• Like 2