toyolien

TD-4 Super Avante. New Off Road Buggy from Tamiya?

For me it needs to be something bash-able. Not in an Arrma way, but 10.5t motor on 2s. I'd like the plastics to be more 'fiber' like their race cars. But somehow I'm not holding my breath. It's last chance saloon for me. If this is a disappointment I think I'll be looking at other brands, which is not something I thought I would do.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, toyolien said:

For me it needs to be something bash-able. Not in an Arrma way, but 10.5t motor on 2s. I'd like the plastics to be for 'fiber' like their race cars. But somehow I'm not holding my breath. It's last chance saloon for me. If this is a disappointment I think I'll be looking at other brands, which is not something I thought I would do.

I can see this kicking off a whole other topic, but I kinda agree. I'm only really into Tamiya for the old stuff, but that's not because of nostalgia, but because they just haven't made anything great in decades! In my very humble opinion, the last really good buggy they made was the Durga, and that was what - 2007? Now I love my Durga, and I bought it to be a proper runner, but spares are disappearing for it really quickly now, so at some point I'm going to have to stop. I was actually contemplating getting a re-re Egress as a replacement runner because that should have better spares availability, but that is a 32 year old buggy!! Besides the fact you're looking at the best part of £400 for a running model.

I really really hope this a great, fun buggy - preferably 4wd but I'm not that picky - affordable to buy and then have a metric ton of hop ups available to make it your own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

For me it needs to be something bash-able. Not in an Arrma way, but 10.5t motor on 2s. I'd like the plastics to be for 'fiber' like their race cars. But somehow I'm not holding my breath. It's last chance saloon for me. If this is a disappointment I think I'll be looking at other brands, which is not something I thought I would do.

That is what I have done, I had a lot of tamiya cars but I am selling the most of them and replaced then with other brands, the last cars that I bought are a Hpi jumpshot mt v2 to replace my wt-01 and an losi 22s sct truck, they are only run on 2s with 3300kv and 3500kv motors but they are a lot better handling and durable then tamiya.

To be honest at this  moment there is not a tamiya car that I would like to buy, also bought a hoboa dc1 crawler same price as a cc-02 but a much bigger an better car with all metal gears 2speed gearbox overal much more value for the money.

Started 7 years ago with tamiya cars owned a lot of them over the years, but to be honest I start to lose interest in them there are better cars out there for a lot better price and value.

And parts for tamiya cars getting more expensive and rare, normal I bought them cheap from rcmart or other china shops but the price for the tamiya parts are a lot more then they use to be, and with other brandsI can get them at local hobbyshop so  I do not have to pay high shipping cost 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

I have a real soft spot for Tamiya but stuff like the Kyosho Mad Van proves you can have something that looks cool and quirky and yet still offers some modern performance and bashability.

Traxxas have squeezed so much out of the Slash 4x4 platform and yet it's still a relatively simple plastic double wishbone chasiss.

I say it over and over but surely Tamiya could come up with something similar but still quirky.

Having a kind of universal 1/10 off road platform could be a novelty in itself if done right rather than just a cynical cost minimising. If it was modular with optional 4wd/2wd, optional motor location, even optional dual motors as a nod to the past. Just give it a little more stability and power handling ability than current efforts.

Kyosho even went one step further with the Fazer Mk2 chasiss. That fire breathing, brushless, metal geared little van I just got shares it's basic chasiss with touring car models and yet it doesn't feel compromised at all.

kyosho-Fazer-Mk2-Mad-Van-VE-chassis.jpg.ac26c6ea3e357497017c7544e6c6386e.jpg

KyoshoFazerMk2Alpine-2.jpg.90e6d8902e7fa9bcf4daffd56a5e6b3e.jpg

• Like 3

Glad the 25th is just a few days away. Looks like a mid range model. Has Tamiya ever done front inboard suspension on off-road buggies? Looks almost inspired from a Mini 4WD series. I hope it’s not another R/C Boy or Avante series. I was watching the video and couldn’t help notice the decals and text on the rear wing. I wonder what it says.

65AF8F5B-F253-428F-A9E8-A7F1F7405316.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

I was watching the video and couldn’t help notice the decals and text on the rear wing. I wonder what it says.

"Being nuts is NEAT!"? B)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

It does look like it could be that!

65AF8F5B-F253-428F-A9E8-A7F1F7405316.thu

:blink:

2001, 2011...2021?

• Like 3

As cool as it would've been if it was a proper successor to the DB01 I'll probably be happy as long as it isn't sort of a Caterham off road buggy based on the DT02. Should it end up to be a horrendous abomination I'll save my pennies for the 2001 re re that surely should arive in 2021. 

5 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Looks almost inspired from a Mini 4WD series. I hope it’s not another R/C Boy or Avante series. 

I've been watching this and I have a sinking feeling you're on the right track. I could be wrong and I hope very much I'm wrong. The strange little fenders and hidden front shocks worry me. I don't see Tamiya creating inboard shocks for Top Cat-esque reasons but rather to mimic a Mini 4wd. Knowing the popularity of Mini 4wd in Japan, this could be another plot to guide youngsters to larger RC versions as they get older. This thinking has already brought us stunning and memorable buggies such as the awesome Neo Falcon and beautiful Aero Avante :rolleyes:. Like I said, hope I'm wrong on this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:34 PM, matisse said:

what if.....DT are 2wd, so they reversed it for 4wd?

18 hours ago, Blista said:

Is it possible that Tamiya are starting to name their chassis with a T prefix for visible Tamiya name branding?  So instead of DT they've switched it to TD?

I always thought the T in DT meant, 'Two' as in Two wheel drive (and not Tamiya) and the F in DF is 'Four', as in Four wheel drive, and the D was for dirt. 

So for me the most logical 'meaning' of the name is a progression of the TA, TB, TC series of chassis names. The lack of the '0' is still a mystery though. 

Having said that, the first thing I thought of when I saw TD was thunder dragon...

Also I don't know much about the avante but this new car looks very similar, and my guess would be an updated version of that car.  

• Like 2

Tamiyablog.com seems to think it shows some design similarities to the 80s Super Dragon Tornado. I so hope it's not another cheapo character buggy. 

Does-the-coming-Tamiya-TD4-chassis-desig

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

65AF8F5B-F253-428F-A9E8-A7F1F7405316.thu

:blink:

2001, 2011...2021?

This is unquestionably correct. If you look in-between second 3 and second 7 of the video, you also see 'Being nuts is neat' in reflecting off another surface at the back of the car. Maybe actually a shadow not a reflection,  it's right there.

I'm super excited … as long as I try to block the Aero Avante form my mind …

• Like 1

Watching the video again, I've spotted JIS screws holding the wheel fenders on. Points to it not being a TRF level kit.

• Sad 1

Thanks for filling in those letters @Falcon#5. Unless Tamiya is pulling a prank or trying to confuse everyone, it must be some sort of Avante then.  

17 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Watching the video again, I've spotted JIS screws holding the wheel fenders on. Points to it not being a TRF level kit.

I believe the dampers looks to be plastic too and since Tamiya exited the off-road race scene I doubt it would be a TRF but I’d love to be wrong as I like anything TRF.

37 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Tamiyablog.com seems to think it shows some design similarities to the 80s Super Dragon Tornado. I so hope it's not another cheapo character buggy. 

Does-the-coming-Tamiya-TD4-chassis-desig

Yeah those front inboard suspension makes sense 

Those wheel fender things - I suspect that they may be more than just cosmetic. Anyone who has run a buggy on wet freshly mown grass or similar surfaces with loose and sticky debris will know how much muck can get stuck on the shell, and how this can sometimes add significantly to the weight of the car. If they reduce or eliminate this issue, they might actually be useful. 

For me the give away that this is a middle of the road level buggy is the Star Dish wheels and Square Spike tyres.....

• Like 2

Since it’s called a TD-4, it will be a mid level kit. The number 4 will make or 4WD, have faith. Since it doesn’t say Pro, I will not have any blue TRF hop ups, but rest assured your will be able to blue bling it out to the max. 

Most importantly, it has a driver dude 😉

7 hours ago, rich_f said:

So for me the most logical 'meaning' of the name is a progression of the TA, TB, TC series of chassis names. 

Aren't they all touring cars?

it couldn't be an off road version of the TC-01 could it? 

I sooooooo hope it's a new Avante!!!!!! :wub:

Let’s get serious. We all know T well enough now to know that they probs aren’t going to get back into Off road racing. so even a club level racer is not really gonna happen given that club level racers are usually older models of the current worlds cars.

and TBH I’m happy about that, the current race level cars are kinda boring. They all seem to have gone down the same route and bar a few stylistic differences are all basically the same. I’m kinda glad that they haven’t done this and try we’ll probably sell more units because of it.

what it is though is a new buggy chassis , something we haven’t seen for a long time, like almost a decade if you don’t count upgrades to the 201. I’m excited to see it, and then to see what crazy Japanese cartoon character it’s named after.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, matisse said:

Let’s get serious. We all know T well enough now to know that they probs aren’t going to get back into Off road racing. so even a club level racer is not really gonna happen given that club level racers are usually older models of the current worlds cars.

and TBH I’m happy about that, the current race level cars are kinda boring. They all seem to have gone down the same route and bar a few stylistic differences are all basically the same. I’m kinda glad that they haven’t done this and try we’ll probably sell more units because of it.

what it is though is a new buggy chassis , something we haven’t seen for a long time, like almost a decade if you don’t count upgrades to the 201. I’m excited to see it, and then to see what crazy Japanese cartoon character it’s named after.

I have to agree. Tamiya are certainly not going to get back in to competition by announcing a new kit with wheel fenders. But, as you say, this may very well be a new buggy chassis that will hopefully cater for either the light basher, or someone who may attend a local club now and again, and not take it too seriously. Like I've said above, for me it's make or break. If it's another over hyped plastic comedy buggy, then I'm afraid my loyalty to Tamiya may be under threat. On the other hand, if it does turn out to be something special and unique (Maybe like a modern day Hotshot or Avante), that's capable of a mild brushless set up, then I may hang around and hold off buying an Arrma or Traxxas to bash with.

• Like 2