sosidge

IKEA Lack shelves for car storage

Just wondering if anyone out there is using the IKEA Lack shelves for storing RC cars?

The width is good for 1/10th, the cost is good, but IKEA's weight limits are quite conservative.

I'll be putting them on a plasterboard wall and don't plan on swinging from them. But has anyone else used them for cars and found they aren't up to the task?

You can always make pillars and post it in the very back of each shelf to support the weight without making it look obvious.  

At least that is what I do when using IKEA shelves for heavier items.   

Vinyl records, 3d printer, rc 1:10 cars.

They are all LACKed and I love it. Best Ikea item I have (beside the garbage bin and bath mirror) :lol:

Edit: I know a guy who doubles the 5x5 lack to the top, full with vinyls, must be a ton or something. its just cardboard but it takes a crazy load.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sosidge said:

Just wondering if anyone out there is using the IKEA Lack shelves for storing RC cars?

The width is good for 1/10th, the cost is good, but IKEA's weight limits are quite conservative.

I'll be putting them on a plasterboard wall and don't plan on swinging from them. But has anyone else used them for cars and found they aren't up to the task?

Don't quote me but gavin from rc kicks uses IKEA shelves for his rc buggies don't know if they are the ones your talking about?

I've got a couple of these up now, although mine are fixed into brickwork I don't think there would be too much issue with it into plasterboard with correct fixings or into the studs if you can.

Width is great for all the cars, LB has a little wheel overhang but still sits nicely, I think they are great for putting cars on, and pretty cheap as well!

I'll try and get a picture of both shelves later.

DSC_3256.JPG

• Like 4

I have an IKEA Kallax shelf unit to house all my clutter. The cars fit okay (apart from the clod) but stick out slightly from the shelf.

9258AFA2-316B-436C-BBD5-04DA651ECBED.jpeg

• Like 1

the expedit and the slightly less burly kallax are the best particleboard furniture one can buy for the money. unfortunately for me, my honda crv is too long so it stays on the top shelf like the king of the mountain that it is. 

7C4D5EAB-FD2A-426E-856D-B989EE301D25.jpeg

On 6/24/2021 at 4:47 PM, Ministrone said:

I have an IKEA Kallax shelf unit to house all my clutter. The cars fit okay (apart from the clod) but stick out slightly from the shelf.

9258AFA2-316B-436C-BBD5-04DA651ECBED.jpeg

Cheers for posting this as we were in Ikea the other week and thought would Kallax work for hosting the cars.  Looked at the build instructions (great that Ikea host them on the product pages) and apart from leaving a couple of dowel holes (which you can find a suitable plug), you can omit some of the partitions so you can place a car in sideways or on a slight angle to mix it up a bit.  

Bang for buck a really good option and in a range of colours to suit.  

+1 for the Kallax. I had all the kit boxes lined up on top which made a good display.

nice storing options, im still looking for a vertical unit that can store 3-4 vertically which isnt too wide ie length of a kit. considering plastic clear boxes at the moment though i am waiting until the kits are built to know the dimensions.

Both the shelves up, probably will add one more with a smaller gap for the Ferrari and Porsche and give me a bit of room to add some more cars!

DSC_0345~2.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Gave me confidence that Lack-ing wasn't crazy.

Just put these up in the spare-ish room. Doesn't quite solve all my car storage problems but it's a start!

For what it's worth these are centred 350mm apart at with the lowest at 1100mm, idea being that if I choose to put a 2-level Expedit/Kallax below there will still be space. Got a bunch of storage crates there at the moment.

PXL_20210627_144930259.jpg

• Like 1

@sosidge Looks good.  I also run several floating shelves in my RC room.  Imho, they just look cleaniest, but can't so easily change heights like on a wire shelf or industrial shelf.  Also needs to be lined up to studs inside the walls or use high quality click type drywall anchors.  The mounting hardware most floating shelves comes with are not confidence inspiring to me I so always use my own hardware.   :lol:

Nice job!

• Like 1