markbt73

Projects list - Summer 2021

I haven't done one of these lists in a while, and the beginning of summer seems like as good a time to make one as any. Plus, it will serve to remind me that I actually have a lot of stuff to do, so I don't go looking for more stuff to buy. Everything I need to do all these projects is either already in my workshop, or in the mail on its way to me, except for some of the landscaping stuff for the scaler course.

Toyota Land Cruiser scaler (Complexity: medium)
- Chassis (Axial SCX10 with TLT axles on leaf springs) is complete and driveable
- Body needs paint (blue with white top), needs detail accessories made, lights wired, interior made?

MF-01X "Safari Miata" (Complexity: simple)
- Wheels coming in the mail, should be here shortly
- Choose tires then, trim arches as needed to fit
- Paint, color/scheme undecided yet
- Maybe driving lights?

Associated RC10LSO restoration/rebody (Complexity: simple)
- Have body - Sabula Tech repop of Bolink '90 Chevy Lumina
- Find suitable body posts in stash
- Install vintage Duratrax ESC
- Trim, paint (colors TBD), mount, decal body - period-correct racing decals - add wing?

Chevy Blazer scaler (Complexity: very complex)
- Custom homemade frame from aluminum C-channel
- RC4WD T-Rex 60 axles on leaf springs, Axial 2 speed gearbox
- Axial '69 Blazer body - colors TBD (maybe black/sliver as Blazing Blazer tribute?)
- Full working lights, winch, 2 speed, etc. - lots of wiring to do

Crosley Farm-O-Road scaler (Complexity: very complex)
- 1/16 scale chassis to make 1/8.5 scale vehicle - real thing is teeny-tiny
- WPL B-24 kit chassis, heavily modified to 2WD - kit arrives in about a week
- Scratch-built Farm-O-Road body, interior, soft top, and detachable truck bed - color probably yellow
- Round off edges of tires and make "baby moon" hubcaps, including spare

Scaler Garden Course (Complexity: massively complex)
- Ground cleared, weed barrier laid down, gravel border installed
- Build raised garden bed in middle out of stacked rock walls, plant 2-3 dwarf trees
- Build suspension "log bridge" from dowels
- Add in other obstacles: rock piles, landscape logs, etc
- Figure out surface for the rest - more gravel? Mulch? Bare dirt?

Whew... that should keep me busy for the summer. Now I just need to refer back to this list every time I think I want to spend money on something else...

• Like 7

That is a big list.  Have fun out there!

RC is my winter hobby so I will be slowing down quite a bit more in the summer. 

That said, my wife recently bought me a junker M38 (still paid a few hundred dollars US) so I suppose I will work on restoring that once it arrives.   It has missing parts and broken body, but besides the front skid plate/bracket which I will make out of a sheet of 3003, everything appears to be non-altered which carries a lot of hidden value under all the dirt, rust, and scratches.  

Good idea. I've got the same thing going for the same reasons. I tired of casting about looking for something "new" from Tamiya when I should really be working on the list of projects I have to complete. Constantly seeking the rush of a new acquisition, which just leads to less space and less time devoted to the project stack, is not a way forward, just a way into a deeper hole. I hope to:

Chip away at my stack of bodies for my restorations. I've slowly doing this. Any progress is good progress. Got my Vanquish, JRX-Pro and Avante 2001 bodies done but have a whole mess to go.

Build another mod-Clod. I've had the axles kicking round for awhile now and its time to design/build a chassis for them. 

Sell off some stuff. I've got some stuff for sale locally like my TXT-2. That never works so its time to try other avenues.

Build my Thunder Dragon...maybe. My hearts not in it anymore. Might wait until winter for this one.

If I do sell some stuff I might allow myself a TRX-4 kit but only if some Tamiya stuff goes first. I'm literally out of room otherwise.

• Like 1

Although I've still a lots of projects on the list, some spanning over many years (Orange Blossom 2 for one....), my plan for this year was/is, to get out and drive them more. Although the likes of the Optima Mid and Ultima have been 'finished', they're still not handling as well as I'd like etc, so need time on the sticks to dial them in.

My daughter now has my old KF2se, a racing licence ,and chomping at the bit for the track to be finished 😁

It occurs to me that this therad is, as they say, useless without photos. So here are a few:

The Safari Miata. Not the wheels I intended to use, but they'll work. Still a little arch trimming to do.

IMG_20210624_191959191.jpg

The RC10LSO SS. I have owned this car for 27 years. It has worn a dozen bodies and burned through many sets of tires. It's been sitting around for more than a decade. I can't wait to see it in action again.
IMG_20210624_192022921.jpg

The shelf full of parts that will become a Blazer. A total mishmash of Axial, RC4WD, Gmade, SSD, and no-name eBay parts, but I have confidence that it will all work together.
IMG_20210624_192034729.jpg

And... the FJ40. Just about ready for paint. Need to work out the body mounts; right now it's just sitting on the frame. No posts allowed for either this or the Blazer, we're going strictly magnetic hidden mounts.
IMG_20210619_203225144.jpg

And for reference, this is what a Crosley Farm-O-Road looks like...

1950-Crosley-Farm-O-Road.jpg

And here's the chassis I'm going to use to build it.

https://www.wpl-rc.com/products/b24-kit

(But I only paid $39 for mine...)

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, Saito2 said:

Constantly seeking the rush of a new acquisition, which just leads to less space and less time devoted to the project stack, is not a way forward, just a way into a deeper hole.

I kind of like the Tamiya rabbit-hole I find myself in. TD-4 next!

On 6/23/2021 at 4:08 PM, markbt73 said:

MF-01X "Safari Miata" (Complexity: simple)
- Wheels coming in the mail, should be here shortly
- Choose tires then, trim arches as needed to fit
- Paint, color/scheme undecided yet
- Maybe driving lights?

Deffo Driving lights.

I known company makes a suspension lift kit for the 1:1 miata and nearly everyone I’ve seen lifted usually has a rally style light bar.